Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 14:36   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
Charter a boat for a day in E. Caribbean?

So my grandparents are setting up a family reunion of sorts this summer and want to get us all together on a cruise ship to the Eastern Caribbean. Ports include Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten.

I'm wondering if while I'm out there it would be worthwhile to rent/charter a boat for a day. Keep in mind we'll only be in each port for 9 hours. Most sites I've found are only offering 38'-60' foot boats for weekly rentals for thousands of dollars. I'm more looking for a 20'-30' boat for a couple hours for much less money. Does anyone know of any places that would do such a rental?

I'm 24 and have a 22' boat i use to sail around the inland waterways here. I'm mostly stuck in Tennessee while I save money for an offshore boat and a cruising kitty for a future journey. Basically I'm trying to figure out if theres a way for me to get any useful experience out of the trip. I'd love to at least get to see some boats that are actually rigged for ocean sailing rather than lake cruising!
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 19:21   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Charter a boat for a day in E. Caribbean?

In St Thomas, for sure, there are plenty of local "charter boats" that take out the cruise ship passengers for a day on the water or tour or snorkeling, diving. There should be plenty of information on the cruise ship about setting this up before you arrive at St Thomas.

However these are basically "party" boats or sightseeing boats. There are classic and racing sailing boats that are also providing "day sails." Google "day sails in Havensight St Thomas" to see what's available.

I do not think, Nassau or St Maarten have anything like that.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, charter