Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 11:11   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by timentide View Post
As I said there is no such place as The British Virgin Islands, only The Virgin Islands and The United States Virgin Islands.

Well, the Government in the British Virgin Islands sure does refer to themselves as such.

About The BVI -> General Information -> General Information

I figure if they call themselves the BVI then perhaps they ARE the BVI. But hey... what do I know?

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:56   #32

Is there a right answer?

They don't seem too consistent, on that website this page:

About The BVI -> General Information -> Government

under Government these two lines are in subsequent paragraphs:

"The Government of the British Virgin Islands is legally a constitutional democracy with the Executive Authority vested in Her Majesty...."

First line of the next paragraph:"The Executive Authority of The Virgin Islands is vested in the Governor, who, as Her Majesty's representative..."

jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 18:34   #33

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Timentide,

You're right. The Virgins are really worth seeing. I'd include the Spanish Virgins, too. But, for me, after several times there, it just gets too crowded and you have to find a mooring, if you want one, by 2pm, or you could be frozen out.
If one was to be pretty sure they would not be on a mooring by 2-3PM then do they have to go somewhere else?

Wandering around all night?

Or just anchor near the mooring field?

I know how to anchor. Do any other charterers?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:28   #34

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Thousands of places to anchor... just get a chart. It is only the highly publicized locations that have overflows such as around the Baths which are for day use only, Marina Cay, Yost Van Dyke's Great Harbour and Cain Garden Bay and Beef Islands party sites on Full Moons. You can almost always find anchorage if not a mooring at any of the locations on Norman Island or any of the other locations on Yost Van Dyke. Cain Garden Bay is small but lots of local knowledge anchorages exist along the coast if you just ask or look for other masks.... preferably those not just sticking out of the water.... just kidding. Mooring cost do vary according to what company installed them but most do not cover an entire anchorage. NOTE, you do have to know how to anchor... you may think you do but when your anchor gets through a couple of inches of sand and mud then hits solid rock slabs.. you will drag if conditions change. Back it in hard and give as much scope as possible which may get limited by late night arrivals of less anchor knowledgeable cruisers. As you will normally anchor up close... both winds and currents will often change 360 through a night.
Old 21-11-2007, 06:30   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
When will Americans ever learn? When in Rome....
It's only in America where the world is allowed to flaunt the laws and face the severest wrist slapping at best. Arrogant people we are.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 06:57   #36

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
It's only in America where the world is allowed to flaunt the laws and face the severest wrist slapping at best. Arrogant people we are.

Please speak only for yourself... don't think you have the right to be spokesperson for a nation, that would be arrogant... no one really does... not even elected officials
Old 21-11-2007, 07:15   #37

Someone needs to get out more...

Quote:
Off hand, I can think of oh, 100 or so other countries where some people flaunt the law with substantially less injury than your referenced "severest wrist slapping*; while others of lesser status in the same country suffer substantially greater injuries for the same hypothetical (and in some cases entirely imaginary) offense.....

All in all I think I would prefer pleading my case, whatever it was, in a US court than, ..well let me ask you Where is it in the world that you have found the the epitome of judicial fairness and administration to reside? Rome? Hmmm, I lived , studied and took a legal degree in Italy...and,,,well, as much as I enjoyed living amongst the Italians, I would still have to, most respectfully, disagree....

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 08:34   #38

Boat: Prout 34 Event
Arrogance

Quote:
Can we assume that Tellie is refering to Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians, Costa Ricans etc when he says Americans or is he being arrogant?
timentide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 20:31   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Oh brother.
Never mind.
....and lawyers? I've tried them, they don't hold well at all no matter what the bottom conditions.
Old 22-11-2007, 20:56   #40

Ahem...

[quote=Tellie;112868]
"Never mind."

well, that sounds about right.

Let's see, would it help if i told you I'm also an entertainer? That seems to qualify some of my more well known colleagues with *almost* a high school degree between them, as unassailable experts in geopolitical relations (not to mention climatology) these days, .well at least in some coastal circles...... AND, as an added bennie it magically insulates them from any criticism whatsoever over the millions they *earn* for make-believing they are someone else or playing kids games while men and women who drive the economic engines that feed the civilized world are routinely condemned.

Maybe you're right, maybe "Americans" will never learn to emulate the prejudice, intolerance, corruption and lack of opportunity engendered thereby in the countries they left behind to fight for a new, free life here; including those millions seeking to to try to become "americans" as we speak- giving up everything they have and risking their lives to do so. How misguided those poor souls must be.......

As for lawyers, we may actually agree here. I studied law in Italy and elsewhere to get other perspectives on the rules by which societies exist...and no, I'm not wealthy LOL, just fortunate to have received a few scholarships and the much appreciated benefits afforded by the GI Bill. In any event, I didn't study law to become a "lawyer"; I studied so I could learn how to protect myself and valued others FROM lawyers. As the man said, "can't play the game if you don't know the rules", and in that game, only the anointed get to play.

seer

Oh, for those who just can't wait to pile on here..have at it
You see, I and most of my family were born Texans, my uncle died trying to save europe's freedom when shot down behind enemy lines in France and executed on the ground by the Germans. My father was decorated for bravery in Italy attempting the same thing. He was later one of the heroes of the cold war, an honest to god rocket scientist, whose efforts contributed to keeping the former Soviet Union from "unionizing" any more of the world than they had managed to grab at the end of the war. My brother and I fought in..well..lots of places...and my son is currently a Lieutenant with the 82nd ABN Division.

I think Orwell may have said it best...something like this...

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because
Somewhere rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those
who would do them harm"

Frankly, I don't mind one damned bit being called an American.
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 06:53   #41
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

I guess triptaphan effects people differently. Some nap. some rant.

Tags
Caribbean, fees