Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2009, 10:03   #1

BVI Cruising Guide ?

Howdy,

Who knows the best cruising guide for the BVI? Even better if you can tell me where to find it.

I’m looking for a chart too. A good one, all the detail, covering the channel out to Anegada.

Thanks!
cameraflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 10:07   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands. Guide should have chartlet of Anegada. Bluewater should have it.http://www.bluewaterweb.com/ If you're chartering the charter company should supply it.
Old 21-07-2009, 21:00   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
The authors of the above mentioned guide are Nancy and Simon Scott, published by Cruising Guide Publications Inc. - just in case you need to verify you have the right one.

I know last time I went to Anegada the way points for the outer entrance buoys was off in the version of the guide I had. Hopefully, that's been updated. It was close enough to get you in the area to eye ball the rest, but just a head's up in case it hasn't been corrected yet.

I found the basic chart of the area and the cruising guide more than sufficient.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 02:19   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Anegada isn't as tough as it used to be. Top option is to follow a flotilla or boat (with a deeper keel than your own) in. The official chart and instructions are pretty good as well and I would recommend looking at Walker Mangum's Navigate to Anegada pages.
Zanshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 08:07   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Some good BVI FAQs & Pics
Pat & Jere's BVI Pages

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 08:14   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
The charter companies frequently supply a "placemat" sized chart. Ther is a chart book but it is expensive and probably overkill. It is hard to get lost; line -of-site navigation prevails.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 08:21   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
I think Anegada is the best marked channel in the BVI's. After years and years of having the 'difficult' stigma, either the danger was overhyped or somebody decided to fix the problem. I did see one mono aground in the anchorage, but nobody seemed to have any trouble finding the channel.

No matter what cruising guide you choose, don't be afraid to venture off a little on your own. On my last trip we found some secluded anchorages that didn't have much to offer in terms of bars, shops, ice, or water, but they all proved to be our favorite spots. If you are chartering, bring along an actual navigational chart since the charter companies love to hand out glorified place mats. Keep an eye on your depth sounder and reference the chart from time to time, but don't be wary of venturing off the beaten path! The water is normally clear enough to see obstacles in time to avoid them.
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 09:05   #8

Boat: Pearson 281
Don Street's guides...

Great info... thank you all. Anegada was "off limits" when we chartered through Moorings about 6 years ago, which, of course, made it much more interesting as a future destination when I could return in my own boat.
I also wonder from experienced local Carribean sailors if Don Street's guides are very relevant anymore. I really like his writing and his website would seem to indicate that he has revised the guides. Any input? Thanks
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 13:01   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I really only used his guide for the Spanish Virgins. He does a good job on sailing instructions for getting in and out of some of the trickier anchorages, the ones with reefs and rocks to avoid. And even though his books are old, the rocks and coral don't change that much. But, frankly, where the up-to-date guides written by Doyle and Scott were available, I found them much more useful, since they cover the whole experience--including shoreside services and things to do and see.

Tags
British Virgin Islands, cruising guides