Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2021, 18:06   #91

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Buying a boat in Panama. Could use some advice, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2 boat View Post
I understand why you say that but I disagree with the real world results.

I have done surveys in Massachusetts and Key West. The results were vastly different. Although both were ok for my needs - the surveyor in Mass had a plastic hammer and moisture meter - in Key Largo it was visual only . Both were ABYC certified.

So my recommendation is to ask questions before you hire a surveyor.
YMMV and good luck.
I agree, the results can vary quite a lot between surveyors.

My intent was to express that it has nothing go do with being in Panama. Their training, certification, and document templates they use are equivlalent regardless of whether in the USA or Panama, but yes it is very important to get a good surveyor.

Of course, to the theme of the thread, by the time you get a thurough professional survey and subcontract out the work...you might as well just buy a boat in better condition.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:43   #92

Boat: Corsair/ F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Yep, I've also seen a very similarly described boat listed on one of the Fakepoo Boats For Sale pages.
Philaw, please don't feel pressured by FOMO - as Belize says, there are lots of choices of previously-loved-fully-kitted-cruising-boats, not only in Panama, but also in places like Trinidad, Grenada, Sint Martin and Guatemala, to name a few.

Hi,

I'm also in the market for a boat. What is the "Fakepoo Boats For Sale pages"? Is that some sort of fact-checking website in particular?

Thanks in advance, John
johnwilliamturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:42   #93

Facebook insult is my guess
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 14:18   #94

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinZ1 View Post
...So option I have is to buy a boat for $20k or $30k & have another $30K for refit and have the ideal model boat I want or spend $60k and have model boat that I didn’t originally want but has most of what I want and is better condition to sail away – I found an example as per following link – amazing boat and amazing kit – probably still needs work though.
[url]https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1983/oyster-43-3081083/[/url
In my experience you don't get much for a $30,000 refit on a $20,000 boat. I don't think you can turn a $20,000 boat into a ideal boat for $30,000 additional. Let's say you spent a year on it. $10,000 could go for yard fees, a couple of sails: another $5,000. That does not leave much for replacing broken machinery, equipment or lightning fried electronincs let alone paint or interior refinishing.

What is a "refit" anyhow?

We've done refits of our boat three times, and each time the boat was ocean ready when we started the refit, somewhat better when we finished. Didn't really need much. And the cheapest was $35,000, (20 years ago).

And you're going to have to do it where you buy it or nearby. If you get a boat for $20,000 you are not going to want to set out to a country across the Caribbean Sea to get it worked on.

On the other and there are a lot of really decent boats for reasonable prices, basically ready to go.

For example, the boat you linked to is a fantastic boat which should be ready to go. You will never find a better blue water boat. I know the boat and the owners. They are keen sailors and responsible people. The boat was re-engined in 2012 (but you still need a survey). That kind of boat deal is what I'd look for. If it is too much, keep looking.

Photo: Nepenthe departing St Helena, ready to set a kite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8595-Nepenthe Close astern.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	247810  

Tags
boat, buying, lease, Panama