Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2024, 07:49   #1

Bridge heights in Ft. Myers, FL on Caloosahatchee

I am looking for any information, sites, etc. that show bridge heights that would accomodate a certain size mast on the Caloosahatchee River in FL around Ft. Myers/Cape Coral. Is there a good place to get that info?
Thanks!
mdbrownsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 08:20   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Bridge heights in Ft. Myers, FL on Caloosahatchee

The controlling height on the main channel bridges up past Ft. Myers is 55 feet.
Old 23-03-2024, 08:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrownsail View Post
I am looking for any information, sites, etc. that show bridge heights that would accomodate a certain size mast on the Caloosahatchee River in FL around Ft. Myers/Cape Coral. Is there a good place to get that info?
Thanks!
Every nautical chart (either paper or electronic) has this information, and additional details for every bridge are in the Coast Pilot. For that area it would be Coast Pilot 5, for free here:

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publ...5/CPB5_WEB.pdf

If you are not familiar with the Coast Pilots you should be. They are basic navigation tools.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 19:15   #4

Assuming there are clearance boards on the bridges showing the actual clearance at different tides, does anyone know what clearances are at MLW to mid-tide? Wondering if a mast height over water of 55' can make it.
patoddh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 03:37   #5

As was previously mentioned, charts and Coast Pilot, plus tide tables, have all that information.
Leadfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 10:55   #6

Boat: Cherubini 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by patoddh View Post
Assuming there are clearance boards on the bridges showing the actual clearance at different tides, does anyone know what clearances are at MLW to mid-tide? Wondering if a mast height over water of 55' can make it.
The bridges on the river and canals do not always have boards indicating the height.

There is an RR bridge (table lift, not bascule) that is more like 49 feet. It’s horrifying if you are close, because there is no board and the bridge operator has to be relied on to have raised it all the way. It never quite looked like it was all the way up to me and the operator is only there when there is a train…..which is not common.

Back in the day there was a guy who would load a bunch of water barrels on your gunwales to tip the boat over but I don’t think anybody is doing it these days. I’ll leave you and trigonometry to work out the max mast if you do that, it I’m pretty sure 55’ is too much.
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 11:32   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
There is an RR bridge (table lift, not bascule) that is more like 49 feet. It’s horrifying if you are close, because there is no board and the bridge operator has to be relied on to have raised it all the way. It never quite looked like it was all the way up to me and the operator is only there when there is a train…..which is not common.
That bridge is to the east of Lake Okeechobee. The OP was talking about the Ft. Myers area, which has several 55-foot fixed bridges. Not sure if they have accurate tidal boards on them or not--many fixed bridges do not have boards. To the OP--measure your mast carefully--many specs from boat listings and even manufacturers are incorrect.
Old 27-03-2024, 11:47   #8

Yes, specifically there are 4 55' bridges between Cape Coral and I75 in the Fort Myers vicinity. My question now is whether the 4 bridges have boards, in case there is a local here who know the answer.

My interest is in going up the river past the first lock for hurricane season... pretty much the best hurricane plan for this area.
patoddh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, hatch