Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 19:12   #61

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Bottom Paint For Caribbean

Geez I hate to admit it publicly on this forum but I have to, this sucks so much, here goes....I actually agree with FstB on this.

I used M66 for 4-5 years and it was as Mark describes, insanely soft. Nearly impossible to wipe soft enough to prevent clouds of paint in the water. Approximately 3 years ago M66 was applied to my boat again. Had I not watched the yard guys open the can and apply it, I would've sworn it was a different paint. Not anywhere near as soft as previous applications. No plumes from moderate scrubbing at all. It is pretty hard as if the formula had changed. No less effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 19:32   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Bottom Paint For Caribbean

I don't think ftbttms has ever cleaned bottoms in the Caribbean or has even been there, but he sure wants to use a thread about experience in the Caribbean to advertise his shady trade of scraping stuff off paints he swears by that should not have that stuff growing on it to begin with. He will even state that these paints are designed to have growth so that he can be hired to scrape it off, go figure

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 19:47   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don't think ftbttms has ever cleaned bottoms in the Caribbean or has even been there, but he sure wants to use a thread about experience in the Caribbean to advertise his shady trade of scraping stuff off paints he swears by that should not have that stuff growing on it to begin with. He will even state that these paints are designed to have growth so that he can be hired to scrape it off, go figure
Ya know, his approach can sometimes be, pun intended, abrasive.

But he DOES know his stuff and has never said anything about knowing what works in areas he doesn't work in.

Shady trade? WTF?

I employ a diver, like him, to do my bottom every three months.

If I was half a century younger and lived in warmer waters, I'd do it differently.

Your post is meaningless and rude, and serves no purpose to further the topic.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 19:58   #64
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

It's worse than that. His post is a lie. But that's what some have to resort to when faced with a superior intellect.

As far as abrasive goes, I prefer to think of it as "not suffering fools gladly."
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 20:13   #65

Boat: Kaufman 47

When my folks owned a yard we used Marpac bottom paints, more specifically the ablative. They have the Super-B Gold I believe which is their top tier ablative.

Has anyone in the Caribbean have experience with this paint? I believe they are made by Blue Water Marine Paint company.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1446174774909.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	111846

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 21:08   #66

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Wondering if anyone else but me is using ABC. As I posted earlier the FWC boats and USCG small boats use it as well as many commercial boats. Many of the yards in Florida carry it and it seems to cost less than the other brands I have seen in the posts here. Here is a link to the spec sheet. Link

The thing is many commercial boats don't have a diver doing a bottom job ever couple of months so they have to choose a paint accordingly.

Course I might be wrong about this.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 05:19   #67

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
Geez I hate to admit it publicly on this forum but I have to, this sucks so much, here goes....I actually agree with FstB on this.

I used M66 for 4-5 years and it was as Mark describes, insanely soft. Nearly impossible to wipe soft enough to prevent clouds of paint in the water. Approximately 3 years ago M66 was applied to my boat again. Had I not watched the yard guys open the can and apply it, I would've sworn it was a different paint. Not anywhere near as soft as previous applications. No plumes from moderate scrubbing at all. It is pretty hard as if the formula had changed. No less effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Interesting. Our last experience with Micron 66 was 5-6yrs ago. Perhaps the formula did change since then.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 06:42   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Wondering if anyone else but me is using ABC. As I posted earlier the FWC boats and USCG small boats use it as well as many commercial boats.
Tom, could it be your tin foil hat?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 06:43   #69
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Bottom Paint For Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ya know, his approach can sometimes be, pun intended, abrasive.

But he DOES know his stuff and has never said anything about knowing what works in areas he doesn't work in.

Shady trade? WTF?

I employ a diver, like him, to do my bottom every three months.

If I was half a century younger and lived in warmer waters, I'd do it differently.

My post would be meaningless and rude, or maybe even a lie, when fstbttms is cleaning bottoms in the Caribbean. Ain't it funny how you guys take me on without thinking or answering that question? Well, fstbttms says it's a lie but he is known to be somewhere in CA, not the Caribbean and I don't play on the person so I'll leave it at that.

Also, you say you employ a diver for regular cleaning, so tell me if that is on topic and in the Caribbean or also somewhere else? I've only been in the Caribbean for 12 years so what do I know, but the only divers I see are attacking problems due to failed bottom paints that are recommended by people here in this thread that have not been in the Caribbean at all or not even own a boat for all I know!

You may want to check the topic of this thread, it is about bottom paint in the Caribbean, not somewhere else. If one knows nothing about bottom paint in the Caribbean, then one should read and learn from those who do, instead of declaring to know it all and dominate the thread. I hope this was politically correct enough

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 08:03   #70

Boat: jeanneau 39i

I had a Jeanneau 45 in Carribean for 9 years. Used Micron 66 and it was terrible. Used a west marine paint with poor results. Met sailer in St Martin and he was using ABC3. Had it on his boat for 3 years and still going strong. I tried ABC3.It worked for 3 years. I sold the boat and when hauled for survey the paint still looked good. No new paint job. I am now in Georgia Florida Bahama area and have SeaHawk. It is on for a year and a half and is doing ok. Next paint job I will go ba ck to ABC3. Cost in Florida about $185 gallon
jmtindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 16:46   #71

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

You may want to check the topic of this thread, it is about bottom paint in the Caribbean, not somewhere else. If one knows nothing about bottom paint in the Caribbean, then one should read and learn from those who do, instead of declaring to know it all and dominate the thread. I hope this was politically correct enough

Well he must have been close. He said the the bottom jobs they do at the Balboa Yacht Club in Panama City don't work. What a great place to scam people. We were there about a month and they probably did 2 boats per week the whole time. Almost all of these boats were headed for the south pacific.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 16:58   #72

Quote:
Wondering if anyone else but me is using ABC. As I posted earlier the FWC boats and USCG small boats use it as well as many commercial boats. Many of the yards in Florida carry it and it seems to cost less than the other brands I have seen in the posts here. Here is a link to the spec sheet. Link

The thing is many commercial boats don't have a diver doing a bottom job ever couple of months so they have to choose a paint accordingly.

We are using ABC3 in the Caribbean and are getting good results.!
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 17:22   #73
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

I applied Ameron ABC3 a year and a half ago. Cruise the east coast US and Bahamas.
I put 2 coats on the keel and 3 to 4 on the waterline and high wear areas.
It is pretty well worn now. We will repaint in the spring. Seemed quite soft and made a clowd pretty easy. I met several people who got 4 to 5 years with theirs.

Is there more than one version of ABC3?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 20:39   #74

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Thanks for the tips guys

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 05:16   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:

Tom-

I launched last June with red ABC. Was a surplus lot from a Coast Guard refit and even had the CG ship name on the 5 gallon label. It worked great for a few months then I had lots of hard growth of up to nickel sized barnacles by fall!

This summer it wasn't as bad, but I have the boat moored in a different area and been mostly stored all summer. Whereas I sailed a bunch all last summer.

Planning to start heading south next month as was going to maybe repaint in Janurary, but is seems is going to cost about $500 just for a short haul out. I had put a bunch of coats on as I thought it would be pretty soft, but it seems likes it's pretty hard.

Might be a bit thin near the bow knuckles, but I have scrubbed it really hard many times.

Where do you keep your boat? I'm looking for somewhere in S Florida to rent a mooring the month of Janurary. Thinking maybe dinner key if they have space.

Tags
bottom paint, Caribbean, paint, rib