Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 17:08   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Bahamas Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Cave Cay is better than Farmers?
We have been here for the mail boat, and the bigger one, still not much in the stores.
Rock Sound seemed to me to be a pretty good place, still small but well supplied, gas, Diesel, small auto parts etc.
I prefer Cave to Farmers. Much better anchorage at Musha and it shortens the hop to GT. GT has more than Rock Sound and it's much better as far as anchorages and beaches go. If you go to Farmers and intend to take a mooring make sure you dive on it. Fuel is usually available at Cave if you're low.
Old 10-02-2019, 17:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

I will be needing to re-supply soon and hopefully have some things shipped to me, where I am now in Black Sound you can’t even get milk.
I know I can do the shipping thing via Watermaker air in Staniel, and will if I have to.
In Georgetown the go-to shipping service is Reggie Express, with the local agent being Doeboi (locally pronounced as "dough-boy"). Getting some important deliveries is the only reason we are here.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 18:00   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
In Georgetown the go-to shipping service is Reggie Express, with the local agent being Doeboi (locally pronounced as "dough-boy"). Getting some important deliveries is the only reason we are here.

Good to know, thanks.
Don’t mean to hijack the thread though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 18:02   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I prefer Cave to Farmers. Much better anchorage at Musha and it shortens the hop to GT. GT has more than Rock Sound and it's much better as far as anchorages and beaches go. If you go to Farmers and intend to take a mooring make sure you dive on it. Fuel is usually available at Cave if you're low.

Thanks, no, I avoid moorings if at all possible, I don’t know why people like them. It’s one of those things that I can’t figure out, some seem to prefer offering up $20 a day for a mooring that comes with no amenities, and questionable holding.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 18:03   #20

Boat: Whitby 42

The usual route to abaco is around the east into the Atlantic then into a cut. I have gone up the back west side of abaco by cave cay with 5 ft draft. Nobody goes that way but it works if the big scary ocean is not cooperating. If your pressed for time the abacos is great. Do the exumas when you have more time.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 18:11   #21

TBW,
Not sure if I understand correctly what you timeline is when you say two weeks down & two weeks back to the east coast. IE: if you are already one week into your two weeks when you arrive in Nassau you surely need to reconsider how far south you are going to go. We did the trip down to Georgetown Great Exuma on a short timeline several times and it is not worth rushing through the Exuma Cays. The Exuma Cays are worth spending the majority of your time there.

IMPORTANT: As mentioned earlier, make sure to not go through a cut in a "rage" understand it well and plan your timing accordingly. It only takes 15 knots of wind against an opposing tide to make it uncomfortable and downright dangerous but can & should be avoided with proper planning.

When the east winds lay down we always went right from Chub to "west bay" on the western tip of New providence island, stayed one night and then straight to Highbourne Cay. Then you can stay on the west side of the Cays to give you protection from the east winds. Go down as far as you like but Musha Cay is as far down as you can go without going into Exuma Sound.

Limited provisions and fuel are available at Highbourne Cay & Staniel Cay, Not really any places to provision other than those. Also be aware you will not get much if any cell (internet) coverage between Highbourne & Staniel Cay so if you don't have a HF radio to get Chris Parker you will be limited on getting weather updates.

Be aware there is very limited "protected" anchorage in west winds so cruisers reposition days in advance of west wind in order to not be left with nothing left to choose from. Sort of like musical chairs.
cgebluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 19:07   #22

In the case of Wardwick Wells the answer is the space is VERY restricted and the Park prefers (actually requires) that people use the very well maintained moorings in that space instead of digging up the bottom with their anchors. Seems a reasonable request to me.

You, of course, are not required to stop there, so it is totally possible for you to avoid them. We enjoyed the park greatly. We prefer to anchor, but in some places it is not an option, and honestly, we were happy to contribute to the park funding.

And based on your comments, you might just want to skip all of the Exuma Land and Sea Park completely, since they charge $0.50 a foot to anchor anywhere in the park, and offer no "amenities".
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:11   #23

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

You're so close. You should carry on when you get your window. The Exumas are supremely beautiful, even if you only make it to Highbourne Cay. If you do go that route, you might consider Chub to Nassau, then Nassau down to Highbourne/Shroud/Normans cay. Then across Exuma Sound to Powell Point, Eleuthera (Cape Eleuthera Marina). Next day run up to Governors Harbour for a day or two, then up through Current Cut to Spanish Wells. Once you have weather, from there you can run up to the bottom end of the Abacos to Little Harbour or Lynyard Cay, and then next day up to central Abacos with Marsh Harbour, Guana, Elbow Cay, etc.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:18   #24

Just start down the Exumas, have fun and watch your time. You'll know when to turn around. But I dont think you are going to G town, much less Conception, in that time frame anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:12   #25
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

Thank you each and everyone of you for your help.
I really appreciate it.
I am good for supplies and fuel. Do not need a big crowd.
Peace and quiet and green water (and Madame is tired of bumpy rides) are all we need.
Looks like first thing Wednesday head over towards Providence. Probably stop there but just a peek over towards Highbourne if I can make by dark. Charts tell me that after dark is not a good time to arrive.
Thank you all again.
Probably send my wife off on a plane about 1 March and all will be well.

(Any experience with out island airlines? Best place to leave from? )

Thank you all again. It looks like a few of you are not too far ahead; maybe we will meet up. Boat is Mai Pehn Rai (Don't Worry Be Happy in Thai). White 50 foot trawler.

TBW
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 10:09   #26

Hey.I found out such information.
The total land area of Bahamas is 13,880 km² (approx. 5,359 mi²). and the total exclusive economic zone (EEZ) is 654,715 km² (~252,786 mi²). The continental shelf of Bahamas is approximately 106,323 km² (around 41,051 mi²). Including land mass and EEZ, the total area of Bahamas is approximately 668,595 km² (~258,145 mi²). Bahamas is considered to be a large nation because of its total area.Geography of Bahamas - Confidus Solutions

If there are no high mountains, then they do not often go out through precipitation. It’s comfortable to swim, do I understand correctly?
I would be grateful for the feedback
maksim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 14:29   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, maksim.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:23   #28

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
In the case of Wardwick Wells the answer is the space is VERY restricted and the Park prefers (actually requires) that people use the very well maintained moorings in that space instead of digging up the bottom with their anchors. Seems a reasonable request to me.
You are not required to use a mooring at Warderick Wells. You are required to use a mooring if you wish to be in the Northern mooring field there, or in the mooring field at Emerald Rock. If you wish to anchor west of the mooring field at Emerald Rock (north of Malabar Cays), you may do so. I have done so multiple times. There is a buoy there that delineates where anchoring is/isn't allowed. Yes, you will be further out if you anchor, but the holding there is very good.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas