Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2024, 09:42   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Anegada Passage in March?

I have crossed the Anegada Passage from BVI to St Martin several times but it was always in April or May. I never had to wait more than 2 weeks for a good motorsailing window with wind up to 10 knots and wave not above 4ft.

This time would like to do it in March. Unfortunately there is a good window right now but I will miss it because I need to receive some packages on Monday.

Does anybody know how likely it is that I will get another window before March 25th?
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 09:58   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Anegada Passage in March?

Its a short overnight passage. Just do it catamaran style with the sails down.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 10:39   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I've done that trip both ways over 30 times. It is always a less-than good passage, but in March it is better than earlier in the season. I'm in St. Martin right now and it would be a good time to cross with almost no wind and no significant swell.

Monday through Wednesday is still great for passage. Light winds and no significant seas to windward. It won't get much better than that!

You could make a good passage up to next Friday, then come a couple of days with stronger winds that would be better to wait out, and after that (from March 20th) it is good weather for the upwind slog again.

In a Leopard 40 under engine the passage, even on the 15knot days, remains a 16 or so hour trip and waves won't be slamming you the way they do in January.
Old 08-03-2024, 11:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Its a short overnight passage. Just do it catamaran style with the sails down.
Of course I do it with sails down; it ia just that 7+ ft sea and 20kt wind in the nose does nor make it pleasant haha. These condomarans have a lot of windage too! I always look for a window no more than 4ft sea..
Old 08-03-2024, 11:29   #5

Thanks for the positive vibe. I should done with my shore errands by Tuesday but I have a Leopard cat that makes me like less than 15 knots and 7ft seas.

I will miss the ideal window there is right now, which would let me take the boat to SXM and store it there for a month while I take care of things at home and then come back and start a steady but slow trip to Trinidad without waiting for a window.

My question to you is:Are those "perfect Anegada passage windows" more likely in mid April than in mid March?
Old 08-03-2024, 12:41   #6

@svlamorocha - I don't see any models with more than 1m seas for the next week. Which weather forecasting system are you using?

Where are you planning on storing the boat in SXM? We can catch up at the Soggy Dollar and if you need a boat-sitter while at anchor I might be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 08-03-2024, 15:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post

Where are you planning on storing the boat in SXM? We can catch up at the Soggy Dollar and if you need a boat-sitter while at anchor I might be able to point you in the right direction.
I still need to workout the boat sitter thing; I will take your two offers. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2024, 15:59   #8

Quote:
@svlamorocha - I don't see any models with more than 1m seas for the next week. Which weather forecasting system are you using?
The 3 free wave models in PredictWind show 6+ft from Wednesday. (I hate to miss the window that closes on Tuesday!) I look forward see what tomorrow's AMZ723 text forecast says about Wed.

Let's see if you are right and we can have those drinks on Wed evening!
Old 09-03-2024, 03:23   #9

The swell next week is a north swell from the storms up in the Atlantic. Those will be long-period swells (over 10 seconds) that will be on your port beam, you might get a bit of movement on the catamaran but you won't be slamming into any waves head-on.

There aren't many anchorages that are protected from the north swell. That is why I moved into the lagoon yesterday . You might want to plan on entering the lagoon upon arrival instead of suffering out in Simpson Bay! If you miss your departure window early next week, it looks like you would be best served to wait a week for better conditions. Or sail to Antigua first...
Old 09-03-2024, 18:47   #10

Quote:
You might want to plan on entering the lagoon upon arrival instead of suffering out in Simpson Bay!..
Would you enter through the French or the Dutch bridge? 40-ft cat with 22-ft beam..
Old 10-03-2024, 05:38   #11

The French side bridge has sketchy opening times and the channel is narrow and once inside it isn't well-marked and shallow. I'd recommend entering on the Dutch side and then transiting through the causeway bridge to the French side if you'd prefer to clear in and remain there.
Old 10-03-2024, 05:48   #12

Quote:
I'd recommend entering on the Dutch side and then transiting through the causeway bridge to the French side if you'd prefer to clear in and remain there.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2024, 03:50   #13

Are you on your way?
Old 12-03-2024, 06:25   #14

Quote:
Are you on your way?
Thanks for the good vibe on weather.
Cleared customs and leaving Charlotte Amalie right now. Will need to stop in St John for a work call; I estimate departing from Caneel Bay (St John) "towards" Simpson Bay at about 2pm local. I hope the 25kt gusts tomorrow morning are not that bad.

Backup is to come back to North Sound. If I make it to SXM tomorrow drinks will be on me. I will send you DM with my WA number.
Old 14-03-2024, 17:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Thanks for the good vibe on weather.
Cleared customs and leaving Charlotte Amalie right now. Will need to stop in St John for a work call; I estimate departing from Caneel Bay (St John) "towards" Simpson Bay at about 2pm local. I hope the 25kt gusts tomorrow morning are not that bad.

Backup is to come back to North Sound. If I make it to SXM tomorrow drinks will be on me. I will send you DM with my WA number.
Made it and drinks with Zanshin, who kindly gave me a dozen good tips including buying electrical stuff at Electec, which sells Victron kit at Amazon USA prices..

Tags
anegada, arc, passage