Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electric Propulsion (EP)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2024, 20:19   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL2
Tohatsu 6.0 KW, XL shaft, tilt & trim

Tohatsu is touting a collaboration with Iltor to release a 6KW outboard in NA and Europe this year. Apparently they'll offer XL shafts (which ePropulsion doesn't) and tilt & trim (again lacking with the Navy 6.0).

Anyone has more info on whether it will have regen, NMEA2000? Will it have remote dual throttle? I can't attend the boat show">Miami boat show and ask these questions myself so would appreciate anyone's insight!
Old 17-02-2024, 02:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Tohatsu 6.0 KW, XL shaft, tilt & trim

TOHATSU TO DISPLAY PROTOTYPE 4.0kW ELECTRIC OUTBOARD
https://www.tohatsu.com/marine/int/n..._outboard.html

Japan's oldest outboard builder silences seas with all-electric motor
The first outboard scheduled for launch is a 6-kW (8-hp) unit that will include integrated tilt and trim, a gauge-style touchscreen for centralized system operations, and multiple options for shafts and props. Ilmor showed its own 6-kW Ion outboard motor design at the Miami International Boat Show a year ago.
More ➥ https://newatlas.com/marine/tohatsu-...utboard-motor/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 03:06   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL2
Re: Tohatsu 6.0 KW, XL shaft, tilt & trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
TOHATSU TO DISPLAY PROTOTYPE 4.0kW ELECTRIC OUTBOARD
https://www.tohatsu.com/marine/int/n..._outboard.html

Japan's oldest outboard builder silences seas with all-electric motor
The first outboard scheduled for launch is a 6-kW (8-hp) unit that will include integrated tilt and trim, a gauge-style touchscreen for centralized system operations, and multiple options for shafts and props. Ilmor showed its own 6-kW Ion outboard motor design at the Miami International Boat Show a year ago.
More ➥ https://newatlas.com/marine/tohatsu-...utboard-motor/
Yeah that's what made me learn about it. But while it has juicy (to me) details like the built-in tilt&trim and the XL, it also doesn't provide the details I'd like to know. I'm currently using two ePropulsion Pod 6.0 and built custom legs to make them long enough, because the Navy 6.0 stops at L and doesn't get deep enough for my transoms. Also I used a third-party tilt&trim. At last, the ePropulsion solution doesn't do any marine networking, and the regen is only available using their proprietary batteries. =/

So if Tohatsu enters the field with everything I need, I'll be delighted. Particularly, just a 6KW outboard, XL with tilt&trim is already a much better solution than my current setup. Add regen, N2K, and I'm golden!