Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electric Propulsion (EP)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 05:17   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: swaping Volvo Penta for electric drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by arecuk View Post
these are LiFeYPO4, but I would prefer LiFePO4, and also there is no internal PCM controller, which is not good option ... I've inquiried on alibaba and will let you know
What's the difference? and how is it going?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 04:13   #47

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran

You need to transfer the thrust from the prop to the boat. That happens via the engine mounts on your existing setup. You will need some kind of mounting bracket that fixes to the existing engine mounts and carries the electric motor, transfers power from the electric motor to the drive shaft and transfers thrust from the drive shaft to the mounting bracket via a thrust bearing or in some way fixes the upper part of the saildrive leg and/or gearbox to the boat. Removing the upper gear box is probably a better option since you won't need to it but that may complicate the construction of your mounting bracket.
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 09:45   #48

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
What's the difference? and how is it going?

Pete

Cold weather performance apparently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.diy...1.html%3famp=1
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 07:27   #49

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

arecuk, did you begin your project ?
I am going to do the same on my 29' with a 100S saildrive, so any experiences of the conversion will be welcome :-)

I think a vertical motor with a toothbelt drive will be the most flexible solution, and the reduction can be adjusted by changing the toothwheels.
I would like to put a larger prop on (the new electric will have more power and torque than my present 10HP stinky diesel), so I need a further reduction than the 1.66:1
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 04:06   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
hey guys,

so I'm contemplating swapping 30yo volvo penta MD11C with saildrive for an electric drive, but can't spend too much money for the professional solution, and so DIY approach has to work for me somehow

I got 35ft, 12000lb sailboat, performance oriented for IRC racing
my friend swaping electric pod propulsion motor with volvopenta . contact him he sale this 2x 10kw motor for cheap motor be in sea 2 season.

Home - Hybrid Eco Cruser
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 00:47   #51

Quote:
yes, that's the electric unit Im considering:
- https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/18k...lboat-kit.html

but still trying to figure out the transmission; currently, I've Volvo penta 110S, here are schematic drawings
- Lower Gear Unit S-Drive Unit 110S
-- https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...-44-13912.aspx
- Upper Gear Unit S-Drive Unit 110S
-- https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...-44-13911.aspx

I guess could 'discard' the upper unit and link the electric unit directly to the lower, unit, which seems like very nice solution ... I would just need to manufacture some sort of shaft coupling linkage ...

1) What do you think this kind of direct connection?

2 And, what about the resulting reduction ratio? The reduction ratio of the whole 110S unit is 1.66:1.

thanks a lot!

PS: I will have soon more details about cost for lithium batteries
Looking at the exploded views, Is it even possible to remove the top part of the saildrive?

Because the hull seal is set right in between the top and bottom part of the saildrive, so to keep the seal tight you need to connect the two parts together...right?

Have you already started the conversion Arecuk?
kaypol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 02:10   #52

Boat: Maxi 999

I believe the OP is somewhere in Europe? In that case, there's a Swedish company that does a electric conversion kit for Penta saildrives, https://www.electro-mobile.se/produk...otorer-s-drev/

The entire site is in Swedish and for some reason Google translate doesn't work with it. These two links takes you to a picture of the installation and the data sheet (unfortunately also in Swedish).
https://www.electro-mobile.se/wp-con...Albin-78_b.jpg
https://www.electro-mobile.se/wp-con...v-data_d-1.pdf

Their contact e-mail is info@electro-mobile.se, I am pretty sure they are able to communicate in English if you send them a request for more info.
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 02:44   #53

They only made it for 110S, not 100S.
And, it is not possible to change the gear ratio, as I read it.
I want to install a large prop, and the reduction they offer is too little in my case then.
Old 19-01-2021, 03:27   #54

Boat: Maxi 999

According to the PDF, they make them for 110 and 120. Suggest you contact them anyway, it seems likely they've had this question pop up before and know of a solution.
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 06:55   #55

I'm curious how this is going, I have a Volvo Penta 2030 with a Sail drive and the engine is on the way out. I'm considering either replacing the diesel or going electric. I have plenty of time to do it myself.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 07:47   #56

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I'm curious how this is going, I have a Volvo Penta 2030 with a Sail drive and the engine is on the way out. I'm considering either replacing the diesel or going electric. I have plenty of time to do it myself.
It still very much depends on your sailing pattern, boat size etc. if you need the engine only for short out/in the dock, mooring etc and not for extended motor cruising than electric is the way to go if you have the time and good skills in electrical and mechanics. It will still take, as usual, more time and $$$ than expected, but that’s sailor’s life…
Old 30-05-2022, 18:01   #57

Boat: Tasman C35 10.7m

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Hi nickatnite,

I have been researching EM conversion for years, and I also have 2 x 2002 md2030, each with ms25s SD120S. My gear ratio is 2.47:1 direct to the crankshaft. I found a 10kw Golden Motor with a 3700 max RPM that would suit. I am planning to keep my Port ICE and upgrade the alternator to a high power Balmar or like.

But to replace my 30HP, I may need something bigger, say 12-15kW. GM are out of stock for 15kW, plus not sure what the RPM specs will be. Don't want any more than 48V. If I keep the gearbox, I will have to configure the EM to run one direction and keep the existing gearbox cables.

If I remove the gearbox, I can connect vertically to the shaft from the leg. But I am not sure whether there is further gearing reduction at bottom of the leg to the prop shaft. I am assuming the 2.47:1 gearing is for the whole unit and that the bottom gearing is 1:1, but the top gearing and bottom gearing could be different? Also I would have to rework the existing gear oil system in the leg, how to seal it etc. At least with the gearbox removed, not only for efficiency, as previous discussed, but I can run the EM CCW and CW with no need for gear cables.

Have you started your project yet?. Cheers, Stu

BTW I have looked at the Swedish and Finnish sites, one being the Volvo SD110 and the other being a Yanmar leg conversion. Google translate helped with the Finnish site, but had to do the Swedish one manually.
Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 23:15   #58

Could you please give the links to the conversion sites ?
Old 30-05-2022, 23:59   #59

Boat: Tasman C35 10.7m

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstendenmark View Post
Could you please give the links to the conversion sites ?
https://www.bode-elektronik.de/html/e-saildrive.html

https://www.electro-mobile.se/

http://www.electro-mobile.se/wp-cont...rev-data_d.pdf

Good luck with conversions.
Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 00:20   #60

Last link was very informative, thanks !

However, I would prefer to mount the motor vertically, not horisontally, and connected to the vertical shaft (without gearbox) by a simple tooth belt.
This will also make it possible to make changes to the reduction ratio.
I have so far not found anyone who actually have done so, but then I may be the first...:-)

I have a S100 saildrive. Doesn't make much difference from the S110.

I am searching for low rev electromotors. Then the reduction gear may be obsolete, and the motor cen be placed directly on the vertical shaft. (?!)
But most motors run at high revs, thus the need for a reduction gear.

Tags
electric, penta, volvo