Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2022, 01:03   #61

Boat: Tasman C35 10.7m
Thumbs up Re: swaping Volvo Penta for electric drive

Low RPM EM's are hens teeth and the EM companies don't like parting with detailed specs OR detailed proprietary info about the software in their motor controllers.

My research has found the software can regulate RPM without affecting EM efficiency, if set correctly, and many EMs have a very wide RPM range eg 0-6000. This explains always finding the same EM having different RPM specs. Particularly GM.
Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 14:06   #62

Re: swaping Volvo Penta for electric drive

Hey,

lovely post and really helpful. I am planning something quite similar and I got a dufour 35 that weighs 12000 lbs as well.
I manage to get a brushless 30kw 48v electic motor with controler for real cheap, but its fan cooled instead of seawater cooling, I wonder if that is going to be a deal breaker.
albertjizhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 14:31   #63

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
Low RPM EM's are hens teeth and the EM companies don't like parting with detailed specs OR detailed proprietary info about the software in their motor controllers.
I use free software motor controllers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstendenmark View Post
I am searching for low rev electromotors. Then the reduction gear may be obsolete, and the motor cen be placed directly on the vertical shaft. (?!)
But most motors run at high revs, thus the need for a reduction gear.
You can get lower revs by finding a motor designed for higher voltage for example 72v motor and run it at 48v.. It just becomes physically large and heavy to find a motor with high torque.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 17:15   #64

Boat: Tasman C35 10.7m

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertjizhang View Post
Hey,

lovely post and really helpful. I am planning something quite similar and I got a dufour 35 that weighs 12000 lbs as well.
I manage to get a brushless 30kw 48v electic motor with controler for real cheap, but its fan cooled instead of seawater cooling, I wonder if that is going to be a deal breaker.

BIG motor. That suggests >600A at 48V. More likely the size of your battery bank will be the deal breaker. Do you have a bms and battery bank in mind that can handle that sought of current? What controller came with it, obviously HD and I guess water cooling would be recommended (for that size)? I am sure you can rig up a seawater heat exchanger for your system without to many issues, plenty of third party systems around.
Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, penta, volvo