Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2021, 01:08   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Electric propulsion in the future

Ammonia combustion engines: latest research [Sept 2021]
https://www.ammoniaenergy.org/articl...test-research/

Ammonia combustion analysis: powertrains, turbines & power generation [Dec 2021]
https://www.ammoniaenergy.org/articl...er-generation/

More from the Ammonia Energy Association ➥ https://www.ammoniaenergy.org/catego...-technologies/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 13:03   #62

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Simply cannot just go Electric or hydrogen or even Gas ( natural/ Propane what ever other Gas you would like to include) unless your route never changes or you are self sufficient in the case of solar and battery,
If you are true in the Cruising sense which very few are, you have to know when you go or do something out of the ordinary even if that’s once a decade, whats the plan and it’s diesel Gas Petrol, why because they are available worldwide.
It would be far better from a sail boat prospective to reduce your diesel consumption, rather than jump to batteries and an electric motor. I don’t care if it’s $30 per US Gallon it’s still cheaper than replacing a perfectly good Diesel engine and further more less environmentally damaging to use the diesel that I only use when I have to. I don’t even bother reducing the Tax and usually just top up by taking fuel from the gas station to the boat in the dingy, at road tax prices - because I am very frugal with the use in the first place.
Sailing is the Key use the diesel when time dictates more speed or mooring / docking dictates full control of vessel, and of course for security sake I start it when crossing the path of Commerical vessels.
I never have started the diesel to top up my batteries. I don’t have any AC loads.
Cooking I with Propane as it should be.
Next year I have a trip to do and will be increasing my diesel on board by about 4 times, don’t intend to use it but how easy is that and assuming I don’t use it, then I won’t be buying any more for 2 or 3 years. At a guess. - Moving the boat to a new location will actually reduce the boats (my) environment impact but also the cost - He says being that I don’t work in the country I live in, so planes are where my carbon footprint really lives.
Shaneesprit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 15:58   #63

It will be a LONG time before electric is the dominate propulsion for boats (or cars and planes, for that matter).

The stupid push by the minority of super green idiots and the government will just cost us all money. Look what's happened in the last year so far?

Ya just can't shut down fossil fuel until there's a 100% replacement and certainly won't come in our lifetimes.

Let it evolve slowly without shoving it down our throats.

Drill, baby, drill.
Larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 02:40   #64
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryo View Post
It will be a LONG time before electric is the dominate propulsion for boats (or cars and planes, for that matter).

The stupid push by the minority of super green idiots and the government will just cost us all money. Look what's happened in the last year so far?

Ya just can't shut down fossil fuel until there's a 100% replacement and certainly won't come in our lifetimes.

Let it evolve slowly without shoving it down our throats.

Drill, baby, drill.

You don’t need 100% replacement and no country is banning fossil fuel any time soon

What will be done is to remove it from use in personal transport. That is definitely going to happen as electric cars along with increased public transport measures , new logos Latino , carbon taxes , cycle lanes and the general public policy to remove cars from cities , will take out ICE as an option for personal transport.

Decades later we will still be using Dino fuel , sure , but not in our cars.

With the worlds usage of Dino fuel falling , we don’t even need to drill
Old 22-12-2021, 03:18   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryo View Post
Not sure I would call them stupid for trying to do something towards saving the planet. However, you are right it will cost us all money and that finance for alternatives is going to come from taxes on polluting fuels to encourage adoption of alternatives like public transport.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 03:28   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Canada needs to build millions — not thousands — of EV charging stations, industry group says [1]

Canada is mandating EV sales — 50 per cent of new cars sold in 2030 must be emissions-free, growing to 100 per cent in 2035 — but nobody is taking the lead to make sure people know what that means in terms of how much electricity, or how many charging stations, will be needed, according to Brian Kingston, president of the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers Association*.

Canada currently has about 15,000 public or semi-private chargers available, and at least another 2,000 are in various stages of construction with public funding. Natural Resources Canada has another $180 million in the existing budget to build 17,000 or so more in the next three years.
The Liberals promised to spend another $700 million by 2026 to build an additional 50,000 new ones.

Kingston said, to keep pace with Europe's goal of having one public charger for every 10 EVs, Canada will need almost four million chargers by 2050. To get to California's goal of one for every seven vehicles, that's closer to six million needed in Canada.

A study [2], published in the journal Nature Energy, last spring, said as many as one in five zero-emission vehicle owners went back to gas because of inconvenient charging access.

An analysis [3] done for Natural Resources Canada recently suggested Canada will need, on average, one charger for every 20 EVs by 2025, and after more EVs roll on to streets, the ratio would fall to about one in every 49 vehicles by 2050.

[1] More ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/elec...ions-1.6293915

[2] “Understanding discontinuance among California’s electric vehicle owners” ~ by Scott Hardman & Gil Tal
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-021-00814-9

[3] “Canada-wide strategy for zero-emission vehicles”
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nr...Summary_EV.pdf

* Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers Association:
Ford, GM and the new multinational Stellantis, formed earlier this year in a merger that now represents brands such as Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler.

Old 22-12-2021, 03:41   #67

Boat: Alan Payne "Koonya" design 39'

Where the hell is all this electricity going to come from?
pt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 04:06   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt49 View Post
Where the hell is all this electricity going to come from?
Of course, planning is essential to a reliable, sustainable electricity future. Projected demand from the electrification of cars, buses, trucks, and trains is forecasted to grow an average of 20 per cent a year, over the next two decades. The impact of electric vehicles, on the grid, is expected to be felt particularly strongly from 2030 onward as the effects of government electrification policies kick in.

First and foremost, energy efficiency is proven to have an immediate, and lasting impact, by lowering electricity demand.

While these electric vehicles will draw more energy from the grid, new programs and advances are allowing them to also be used as storage, if owners choose, and provide power to the system during peaks.

Long-term electricity needs could also be met by contracting for energy from diverse resources, such as wind, solar, hydro, bioenergy, nuclear, and [shorter term] natural gas, from a wide variety of suppliers, including private sector businesses, cooperatives, public sector organizations, Indigenous communities, community groups, school boards, farmers and homeowners.

Some future sources might come from diversion, such as: converting electric heating to geo-thermal.

Old 22-12-2021, 05:08   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Long-term electricity needs could also be met by contracting for energy from diverse resources, such as wind, solar, hydro, bioenergy, nuclear, and [shorter term] natural gas, from a wide variety of suppliers, including private sector businesses, cooperatives, public sector organizations, Indigenous communities, community groups, school boards, farmers and homeowners.

Some future sources might come from diversion, such as: converting electric heating to geo-thermal.
In my looking at energy sources currently in use, coal is the No1 primary electricity source today, and is VERY likely to remain so for the forseeable future.
Old 22-12-2021, 05:12   #70

The cost of electricity is rising exponentially already.

God help the next generation!
Old 22-12-2021, 05:43   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In my looking at energy sources currently in use, coal is the No1 primary electricity source today, and is VERY likely to remain so for the forseeable future.
Globally, in 2020, coal [33.79%], followed by gas [22.79%], were the largest sources of electricity production.
Of the low-carbon sources, hydropower [16.85%] and nuclear [10.12% make the largest contribution; although wind and solar are growing quickly.

Globally, only 36.7% of our electricity was low-carbon in 2019. However, some countries get over 90% of their electricity from nuclear or renewables [mostly from hydropower and/or nuclear energy] – Sweden, Norway, France, Paraguay, Iceland, and Nepal, among others.

In the years to come, accelerating the transition to clean electricity will become ever-more important, as we electrify other parts of the energy system too (shifting to electric vehicles, for example). We will need to rely on low-carbon electricity, and lots of it.
I'm confident [95%] we will do so.

Source ➥ https://ourworldindata.org/electricity-mix

Old 22-12-2021, 05:51   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The cost of electricity is rising exponentially already.
Where?
Why?

Fossil fuels dominate the global power supply because, until very recently, electricity from fossil fuels was far cheaper than electricity from renewables.

This has dramatically changed within the last decade.
In most places in the world, power from new renewables is now cheaper than power from new fossil fuels.

The fundamental driver of this change is that renewable energy technologies follow learning curves, which means that with each doubling of the cumulative installed capacity, their price declines by the same fraction.
The price of electricity from fossil fuel sources, however, does not follow learning curves, so that we should expect that the price difference between expensive fossil fuels, and cheap renewables, will become even larger in the future.

Old 22-12-2021, 06:10   #73

pt49 said: "Where the hell is all this electricity going to come from?"

We already have it!

Walk down the street where you live. How many street lights are there? Do you really, really need them all? How about turning off the half of them and redirecting the juice they use to charging stations?

We've already replaced incandescent lightbulbs in our dwellings with LED bulbs. Before I did that, careless use of the electric baseboard heaters in my 2 bedroom apartment would pop the main breaker (a 100Amp job) for the apartment. Now it never happens. Typically my juice use is 13 or 15 KWh in 24 hours. That includes the "parasitic" loads.

Have a look at the fairly common photos of earth taken from space. Every city all around the globe, including those in "underdeveloped" countries, glows like a firepit with the "public" use of electricity. Remove every second "light emitter", of whatever kind, all around the world, from its socket, and we'd have gone a long long way towards alleviating the shortage about which you worry.

Admittedly, we Canadians are a lot better off than people in, say, Australia, because we have abundant hydroelectric power and could have even more if required. But then again, we are north of 49ºN, whereas, say, Melbourne is at what? 39ºS? And is the Northern Territory not essentially a vast uninhabited and unused land with rather powerful insolation?

Let's not give up so easily!

We may, of course, have to safeguard the future of "western" civilization by enhancing both the technical syllabus of our present public education systems and the underlying ethics by rethinking what kind of people we wish to elect to our sundry governments :-)!

Oh, it might be useful to point out that I pay 9¢ (Canadian) per KWh. It is very rare, even in the winter, that I pop into "the second tier" of the rate schedule (>20KWh in 24 hours). The price at that level of usage is about 14¢(Can) IIRC.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 06:18   #74

Boat: J/88

I vividly remember seeing a model of energy sources some years ago because it shocked me. It had a sphere roughly the size of a large beach ball representing fossil fuel sources of energy and then a couple of marble (or pea) sized spheres representing green sources.

I hope we have progressed significantly from there but it looks inevitable that those spheres will reverse over time if we are going to protect our earth and to find renewable sources. I do know there are enormously powerful energy sources that we have yet to tap in effective ways.
Old 22-12-2021, 06:31   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

World's biggest offshore wind farm' produces first power

The Hornsea 2 offshore wind farm has produced its first power, Danish energy firm Orsted has said [1], with the announcement representing a significant milestone in the facility's development.

Situated in waters around 89 kilometers off the U.K.'s east coast, the scale of Hornsea 2 is considerable. Spread across an area of 462 km², it will use 165 turbines from Siemens Gamesa and boast a capacity of more than 1.3 gigawatts. The company says it will power "well over" 1.3 million homes when finished.

The project generated its first power late on Saturday night. According to Orsted, Hornsea 2 will assume the title of "world's largest operating offshore wind farm" once fully operational in 2022. The firm has also described Hornsea 2 as the "world's biggest offshore wind farm."
That accolade, the company says, is currently held by Hornsea 1, the "sibling project" of Hornsea 2. "Together, the two projects will be capable of providing enough power for well over 2.3 million homes," Orsted said [1].

The U.K. is home to a mature offshore wind sector that looks set to expand in the coming years, with authorities targeting 40 GW of capacity by 2030. The European Union, which the U.K. left in January 2020, is targeting 300 GW of offshore wind by the middle of this century.

Across the Atlantic, the U.S. has some way to go to catch up with Europe. America's first offshore wind facility, the 30 megawatt Block Island Wind Farm in waters off Rhode Island, only started commercial operations in late 2016.

Change is coming, however, and in November ground was broken on a project dubbed the United States' "first commercial scale offshore wind farm." [x]

Back in March, the Departments of Energy, Interior and Commerce said they wanted to roll out 30 gigawatts of offshore wind by the year 2030, a move it's hoped will generate thousands of jobs and unlock billions of dollars in investment. [y]

[1] The world’s biggest offshore wind farm, Hornsea 2, generates first power
https://orsted.com/en/media/newsroom...20211220460511

Hornsea Two: Powering well over 1.3 million homes with green electricity
https://hornseaprojects.co.uk/hornsea-project-two

[x] America’s first offshore wind farm is up and running
https://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/13/amer...&doc=106992212

[y] U.S. announces plans to ramp up offshore wind capacity in a big way
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/30/the-...&doc=106992212

Tags
electric, propulsion