Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2020, 00:11   #106

Boat: X442
Re: Worst Med Mooring Ever - Just when you think you've seen everything!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I figured that since he snagged the other boat's anchor chain that this was an anchoring arrangement
Well yes, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'm not sure about how it is done in Greece, largely with one's own anchor possibly/probably? I only have experience of the western Med where you use lines already attached to the seabed one way or the other. I was imagining that anchor line the guy tripped was one of those line attached to the seabed and he broke something, or indeed he unset the anchor as you believe.

BUT..... if you have to use your own anchor in the situation represented in that clip why did the guy not use his anchor?? Because then all of a sudden the manoeuvre becomes quite simple. So maybe there was more going on on board prior to the start of filming which explains the chaos better. Hart attack or something.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 09:52   #107

Ship handling? If I can find it I'll post a photo of this one parking in my local harbour in about 1924. She came in, made a 90 degree turn to starboard, and then came alongside the pier with no tugs, and of course no bow thrusters. And there were thousands watching so if they'd messed it up, no one would have forgotten.

And the solo sail-only mooring video certainly demonstrates the value of a tiller over a wheel for speed of turning, not to mention seeing where you rudder is at a glance -for those who might have trouble remembering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMS Repulse.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	221703  
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 16:24   #108
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Also:
- significant increase in drag
- additional minor maintenance for cleaning and zincs
- major impact on storage space from the tunnel and motor and solenoids
- carbon dust from motor brushes
- RFI/EMI
- something else to break
Whoa, now that you bring up these huge - and I really mean HUGE - problems with having a bow thruster there is no way I'll ever get one. Especially compared to a water maker, gen set, diesel engine, running water, flushing toilets, etc. Way, way more complicated.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:49   #109

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Taken way too long to circle back to this message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, overcoming strong conditions by brute force is NOT the purpose of bow thrusters. And they are certainly not an "ineffective distraction" in any conditions, for the helsman with sufficient skill in their use.
I simply disagree. I’ll repeat my point: using a thruster when they are strong enough gives up practice moving the boat without a thruster so when the conditions make the thruster ineffective the operator is also ineffective.

As for distraction, consider the Model T as an analogy. While steering, shifting, braking you have a manual control for spark advance to juggle together with a hand throttle. You run out of hands as well as brain cells. A bow thruster is one more control variable. One more delay as you shift hands or feet around.

Quote:
Come on board my boat sometime and I'll show you some tricks which will change your mind about that.
I certainly appreciate the invitation and would be happy to do so. I’m sure we would have plenty of stories to share. I cook veg pretty well. Certainly a pretty darn good confit byaldi, good eggplant Parmesan, veg red beans and rice, lots of roast veg, and a great garlic broccoli soup. Despite my distaste I can cook on induction and might be able to get the reliability of your propane cooker up where it should be. *grin*

Not sure I completely agree that thrusters require a lot of skill to use effectively. Yes, you can use a thruster in benign conditions to rotate a boat without much propwalk (say with a MaxProp or Gori propeller) in the same small space as a fixed pitch prop. Yes you can for a reasonable distance move almost sideways, again in benign conditions, especially if you do have prop walk. I don’t have any trouble steering while moving astern on most boats (full keel with attached barn doors are trickier).
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 16:15   #110
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonauta1 View Post
Well folks, I have med moored many times.

Backing in to pick up mooring lines is much trickier. That is where I have run into trouble trying it with a crew of two. Never managed to put on a show like on this video though!

It is an anchor med moor situation. The skipper has the anchor dangling but he does not appear to know when and where to drop it hence his lateral darts at the presumed slip with attendant side swipes of the adjacent yachts.
I am professional skipper (52 year). every day from april to november i
solo-sail med moring(guest is usless). Only for catamaran 45-55 ft have sometime hostes. Simply skipper must use wind for dock.But dock first on shore in croswinds is a nightmare i must think and be very fast, wind Over 20 kt i dont dock in some town,marina. anchor outside,go next bay call sea taxi if guest want to pay. Record wind i dock is 80 kt (2 time some couple hour)4 hour in morning i be on weel 30 houre . Never again
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 17:35   #111
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Spent several years Med moored in France , lots of fenders , squeeze in , stop , pick up the slime lines , etc. Always use the other boat as a guide , just do it slowly

The key is to lie along side well fendered up and walk her back , slowly slowly , all the damage is from speed

Saw a similar situation , boat broadside , in Korcula marina , am American on a charter tried to power out , taking anchor rollers with him etc
Old 04-10-2020, 18:07   #112
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Spent several years Med moored in France , lots of fenders , squeeze in , stop , pick up the slime lines , etc. Always use the other boat as a guide , just do it slowly

The key is to lie along side well fendered up and walk her back , slowly slowly , all the damage is from speed

Saw a similar situation , boat broadside , in Korcula marina , am American on a charter tried to power out , taking anchor rollers with him etc
Wow, haven't seen you post for a long time. I might have missed them but certainly appreciate your additions.

Funny connection, the only time I've been hit substantially by another boat was in Korcula. What a poop show. Middle of the night with a strong Bora blowing and a large Lagoon charter cat tries to Med moor. Heck, we were so worried earlier that Palarran was a full 10' off the quay and we were using the tender to get ashore. He got the worst of it after bouncing off me and then hitting the concrete HARD!. Well, I got a lot of wine out of the deal so what the heck.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:57   #113

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . . Saw a similar situation , boat broadside , in Korcula marina , am American on a charter tried to power out , taking anchor rollers with him etc
What year was that? Remember the boat name? I witnessed the same thing in the same place.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 12:14   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
The pilot abandoned the wheel at one point, watch it spinning free. lol.
I agree, it would be interesting to see what happens after.
Here is one done correctly.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...essel:NEHAMA_5
tjj.esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 11:19   #115

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
The pilot abandoned the wheel at one point, watch it spinning free. lol.
I agree, it would be interesting to see what happens after.
Here is one done correctly.

That YouTube vid is impressive and a lot more fun to watch than the other. But to be fair, he has no wind or anchor to deal with ( assuming the botched attempt was a try at a med moor).

I'd guess in the other video, that a med moor bow anchor set didn't hold, the wind caught him and spun him sideways before he could get out of there. After that though, many more mistakes made. I'd like to see what happened before more than after.
Old 30-08-2021, 16:09   #116
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
What year was that? Remember the boat name? I witnessed the same thing in the same place.
lomg time ago, the eldest kid was about 12 , it was a few years after the war , 18 years ago or so m cant be sure exactly
Old 30-08-2021, 16:10   #117
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Wow, haven't seen you post for a long time. I might have missed them but certainly appreciate your additions.

Funny connection, the only time I've been hit substantially by another boat was in Korcula. What a poop show. Middle of the night with a strong Bora blowing and a large Lagoon charter cat tries to Med moor. Heck, we were so worried earlier that Palarran was a full 10' off the quay and we were using the tender to get ashore. He got the worst of it after bouncing off me and then hitting the concrete HARD!. Well, I got a lot of wine out of the deal so what the heck.
yeah back posting on CF , stayed away for a while
Old 31-08-2021, 05:02   #118

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
lomg time ago, the eldest kid was about 12 , it was a few years after the war , 18 years ago or so m cant be sure exactly
18 years ago was 2003. I was there then. I may have witnessed the same incident!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 05:47   #119

May not be med mooring, still some good work 😂

Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 05:58   #120
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Worst Med Mooring Ever - Just when you think you've seen everything!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
May not be med mooring, still some good work 😂

How many Cuts and Edits before the finished product..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring