Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2011, 21:23   #1

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Wind Damage in Marmaris ?

Cruiser rumor at the fish fry last night is that recent winds in Marmaris caused 20 boats on hardstand in Yat Marine to topple.

Anyone know if this is true or not?

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 01:24   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: wind damage in Marmaris??

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Cruiser rumor at the fish fry last night is that recent winds in Marmaris caused 20 boats on hardstand in Yat Marine to topple.

Anyone know if this is true or not?

Judy
S/V BeBe
Haven't seen anything about marmaris.
Could they be getting mixed up by the storm at Vliho?

The Ionian Magazine: Yachtsman dies during a squall in Vlikho Bay on Lefkada island - by Martin Stote
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 03:00   #3

No. This supposedly just happened this week at Marmaris during high winds. The dock master here in Cyprus also told us about this today. So, that rumor is circulating. Hoping to hear from someone in Marmaris to confirm or deny if this really happened.

We hauled out in Marmaris last May and were a bit surprised at the way boats were stored in the yard braced on tree posts rather than real hard stands. Hope this turns out to be just another rumor, but I could certainly see how boats might topple in high winds with the insufficient bracing we witnessed there.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Old 15-10-2011, 06:16   #4

We are further northwest of Marmaris, and those high winds that Judy is talking about did quite a lot of damage... well, waves did more. We ended up with high 50s and higher gusts and very harsh seas. It was a full out winter storm, but only some were prepared for it (most boats dragged, some concrete docks were torn out, wooden docks got washed out). As I understand further towards Marmaris the winds were stronger. Haven't heard anything about the damage though. If I find out anything, will let you know.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 06:54   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Wind Damage in Marmaris ?

Judy,

If this had happened, we would have heard for sure. The week you are talking about we have seen up to 45 gusting 50 max, but no damage beside one 30 footer anchored (with noone on board) that has landed on the beach near the center.
Nonetheless, these things happen a bit more than usual in Yatmarin, when the southerlies exceed 50-60 kts in winter. It may be due to their system or their location which is very much exposed..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 00:18   #6

Thanks Yeloya. Figured if anyone knew what really happened, it would be you.

I will tell the German cruisers who started this rumor that it is not true. And the dock master who also believed what he heard without verifying it. I have learned never to believe anything other cruisers tell me without verifying it first.

Thanks again,

Judy
S/V BeBe
Old 17-10-2011, 02:58   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

- Hi Judy- I have been at anchor in Marmaris, just across from The Yacht Marina -Latitude:36.8263
Longitude:28.31404
during the LAST 3 weeks and did receive 50+ knots of wind - and we were fine, a few yachts were dragging - there was some happenings going on at that time we heard on the radio, but could not make out what-I have been at the marinas a few times after that storm passes and did not notice anything out of place- but it’s a big place
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote