Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 08:41   #46

Re: Who is planning to cruise the Med?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
What is a fishing cove? On the last 3 years I sailed near 10 000nm on the med and sailed most of the time sometimes wasting as little as 40L of fuel on a full sailing month doing about 1000nm.

It seems to me that you need a new sailboat, one that can sail on the light or strong winds that the med is known for. If not, in your case a proper motorboat would make more sense. Certainly my average motoring time is below 30% on the last 3 years.
It sounds like they cruise with a "Charter" mentality
Old 08-06-2015, 09:48   #47

Since deciding not to have a sightseeing plan whilst cruising,our ratio of sailing has gone way up!
Now we take short hops favouring light winds and beam reaches as far as possible.
Much more relaxed,but of course we have now seen most of the desirable sights in the Med.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
paulclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 16:33   #48

Boat: Sceptre 41

I don't have nearly the experience that the previous comments but I can tell you that in Italy people often come out and anchor for the day and then leave the anchorage at night. We found that we had to have a short scope in the day and then could let out the scope at night. There were also a lot more anchorages then the guide books mention.

The first year in Italy my ex wife and decided that the only mistake we could make was trying to go to far. over 10 weeks of sailing we hit a grand total of 90 miles. There were just so many interesting places to stop and explore.

Elba, Bonifacio, NE Sardinia (before the crowds), and SE Sardinia are all wonderful places.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise