Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2015, 03:47   #31

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Who is planning to cruise the Med?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
Such a shame that you missed all the quite anchorages and did not meet all the nice people and did not snorkle in the lovely bays. There are THOUSANDS of liveaboards in the Med. In the winter the popular marinas fill quickly and the social life is great.

You really did miss a lot
so, where is best snorkelling in med?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 04:02   #32

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
Around Sardinia we anchored down the high street of a Roman town. It had sunk into the sea and could clearly be seen below us.
Old 17-01-2015, 04:18   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Anywhere there is an anchor to view .

Lots of people like staying in a marina for a change over winter, but at least consider the option of anchoring and cruising all year around. With a bit of common sense and modern anchoring gear it can be done safely.

It is particularly satisfying in the busy parts of the Med like the Ionian. You will have the popular anchorages all to yourself. For example, in Paxos I once counted 80 yachts in the bay one August, that is too much snorkelling even for me . Anchor in the same spot in winter you won't see see another boat for weeks or even months at a time.

It is not for everyone, but I think more boats would enjoy it if they gave it a try.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 04:24   #34
med

Quote:
Islas Medas just off shore from L'Estartit on the Costa Brava. Not as good as course as Polynesia or the Great Barrier Reef, but much more interesting than the endless sandy beaches in the Gulf de Lion.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 04:56   #35
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Some of the bays around the Balearics were the best snorkelling we saw and the warmest water at around 30 degrees. Nice clear water and a smidgen of sea life, but compared to the Caribbean it's nothing. Anchored here off pigeon island we are swimming with turtles, morays, shark suckers, amazing corals gardens and tons of fish every day and so far there's been a ton of places like this. Half the time in the med when snorkelling we would swim with a garbage bag. Might as well pick up some bottles and cans from the seabed and shoreline if we can't see any fish..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 06:32   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
once i was planning to sail med. Asked questions etc.

Someone said, take bus and see med for 1/10 of cost and 1/10 of stress.

now i skipped that step and looking into pacific where real sailing takes place.

I actually used ferries to see best places in med and was real good and cheap.
This might be true if you plan to spend a couple of weeks or so but long term going by boat can be very cost effective, assuming you don't spend most nights in expensive marinas.

My experience traveling Europe on business, in most areas unless you stay in hostels or bad hotels in a bad neighborhood, you can plan to spend a minimum of USD $75-$100/night. At $75/night that is over $2000/month. Add the cost of eating all meals at restaurants vs cooking on board and travel by boat looks even better.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 06:39   #37

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
This might be true if you plan to spend a couple of weeks or so but long term going by boat can be very cost effective, assuming you don't spend most nights in expensive marinas.

My experience traveling Europe on business, in most areas unless you stay in hostels or bad hotels in a bad neighborhood, you can plan to spend a minimum of USD $75-$100/night. At $75/night that is over $2000/month. Add the cost of eating all meals at restaurants vs cooking on board and travel by boat looks even better.
During the summer cruising months we have yet to go in a marina in the Med. All our times is at anchor.
Old 17-01-2015, 09:40   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
During the summer cruising months we have yet to go in a marina in the Med. All our times is at anchor.
Exactly. When I'm on board I come to a marina or dock rarely and usually for a few specific reasons:

- in an area where anchoring is not allowed or there is no safe place to anchor.

- I need fuel or water.

- meeting guests and/or major provisioning so a lot of loading going on.

Otherwise look for me out in the harbor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:52   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Yes its been frustrating at times but as times gone on and we have thrown away fixed itineraries and gotten access to better weather forecasts its become less so.
Please share those weather leads! I've read horrible posts regarding the reliability / availability of weather for casts in the Cyclades. I'm heading there for a charter first week of June.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-03-2015, 20:02   #40

Boat: between boats

2 useful ones for greece -

1st one met interpreted, 2nd one raw model

HNMS

Poseidon System

Others swear by predictwind but ive found the hellenic met to be the best even if sometimes forecasting more wind than actual - better safe than sorry.

usually if its a longish passage or an iffy anchorage we use all 3 and then tear our hair out when all 3 are different...
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 21:40   #41

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFla Sailor View Post
Please share those weather leads! I've read horrible posts regarding the reliability / availability of weather for casts in the Cyclades. I'm heading there for a charter first week of June.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
The most accurate is. passageweather.com try it and see
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 23:54   #42

For wind forecasting, we use Windfinder but get very different information from the forecast v the superforecast if available. the wind roses are informative.

We travelled from Barcelona to Corfu over 3 years, 10 weeks at a time. I absolutely agree about the 86% motoring, wind in your face and often too strong, until we got to the Ionian. The wind is somewhat predictable from NW up to 25knots from 1pm to 8pm-- sometimes. Yes it can be flat as a tack and yes cyclonic storms can rush through. The big thing for us now is that we might only go 10 miles in a day, we can sit around and wait for the wind to favour us and we are no longer driven by making passage. Very few marinas, lots of little towns with tavernas right on the quay. Very few port police out of the big towns, plenty of beautiful anchorages, lots to do inland albeit small scale. plenty of history, plenty of greenery on the hillsides BUT plenty of other boats. The formal marina fees are around 40-50 euros but mostly its 5 euros for electricity and or water and 7 euros for port fees if you are told to pay them. Not many places have power and water. some beachside restaurants will give you access on the understanding that you eat there. Food prices are very reasonable even in out of the way places. Been sailing there for 2 years (14 weeks and haven't been to nowhere near half the ports. Overwintering with haulout and on excellent stands 1400 euros. antifouling pre and 2 coats, 270 euros.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 00:18   #43

Boat: Jeanneau sunshine 38

Sounds great Dlymn
With the prices you need to give boat length

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Skipperchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:00   #44

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Greetings! We plan to winter our boat next winter in Tunisia. How is the marina? What are costs for 49' boat? Did you get your info for area from local cruisers or available materials you can refer us to read? THANKS!

Steve -- this is our 2nd winter over in Tunisia. We spent last year here and traveled over 4,000km by car around Tunisia and had a great time. Great people and great food and very interesting country.

We are full time live aboards and stay in Port Yasmine. Very modern marina with floating docks, water, elec, good security, guys who actually walk the dock and make sure boats are safe and secure, and the cleanest water we have ever seen in a marina.

For this past winter the cost for a 16-18m boat is about 5,700TD or about 3,000USD givr or take. and that is for oct 1 to apr 30.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:28   #45

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Of course! Just spent 2 months in Croatia (did NOT like it) and spent 3 years Turkey, Greece and Cyprus. Still have seen no fishing coves. And the sailing in the Med sucks. We have 'sailed' a total of 4,932 NM thus far in the Med. We keep a spreadsheet tracking our fuel and engine hours and miles 'sailed.' Thus far, we have motored 82.6% of the time and actually sailed 17.4% of the time, averaging only 5.25 kts.
Judy
What is a fishing cove? On the last 3 years I sailed near 10 000nm on the med and sailed most of the time sometimes wasting as little as 40L of fuel on a full sailing month doing about 1000nm.

It seems to me that you need a new sailboat, one that can sail on the light or strong winds that the med is known for. If not, in your case a proper motorboat would make more sense. Certainly my average motoring time is below 30% on the last 3 years.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise