Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 07:49   #1

Where to pick up passengers between Split and Dubrovnik?

I am getting a sailboat in Split for a week on Saturday evening. My friends arrive to Dubrovnik on Monday. What is a good place for me to pick them up?
I need to be able to get there in 2 days on boat and they need to be able to get there by car or bus.
Anjulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 07:58   #2

Boat: Najad 373
Re: Where to pick up passengers between Split and Dubrovnik?

I'd say Korcula (city) would be the best, as there is stuff to see if anyone arrives late. Marina is the most expensive one in the area, but mooring in the quiet bay of Uvala Luka is my recommendation, less than 30' nice walk to the city.

If they can't cross easily, Orebic is on the continent facing Korcula island.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 08:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebramar View Post
I'd say Korcula (city) would be the best, as there is stuff to see if anyone arrives late. Marina is the most expensive one in the area, but mooring in the quiet bay of Uvala Luka is my recommendation, less than 30' nice walk to the city.

If they can't cross easily, Orebic is on the continent facing Korcula island.
Thanks a lot. It should work. Does Orebic have a convenient place for a pick up, like an anchoring or a mooring?

How would you suggest to plane the whole route if I leave Split Sunday morning, be in Korsula on Monday evening, need to return to Split on Friday evening? Is it better to stay to the south of Split or go north after I pick them up?
Old 30-03-2017, 08:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjulis View Post
Thanks a lot. It should work. Does Orebic have a convenient place for a pick up, like an anchoring or a mooring?

How would you suggest to plane the whole route if I leave Split Sunday morning, be in Korsula on Monday evening, need to return to Split on Friday evening? Is it better to stay to the south of Split or go north after I pick them up?
Actually, looking at the map - can I get to from Split to Korsula in 2 days without a night sailing? I guess the first night should be in Hvar? From Hvar to Korsula is 40 miles, unless wind cooperates might have to motorsail fast for hours.
Old 30-03-2017, 09:31   #5

Orebic has a marina and is the departure for ferries to Korcula.
If indeed too far, Hvar could be the meeting point.
Travelling for the moment i don't have my pilot book but I'll check later for alternate points on the coast.
Depending on your sailing style/appetite, going slightly south can be an option. Mljet is a wonderful place, we enjoyed a trek to the hill and around the inner lake, breathtaking beauty.
Didier
Old 30-03-2017, 09:39   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

It depends whether your friends are able to take the car through Bosnia Herzegovina, otherwise you are left with the area south of BHI or the Peljesac peninsular.
Slano is a good place, you can anchor off free or use the town quay which is not too expensive. Furthest away from Split so a long 2 day sail. Some great short sails from there to the southern islands (Sipan, Lokud, Jaklan, Mljet (restaurants at Okuklje not to be missed) and Ston.
Orebic is convenient about halfway way up Peljesac, small harbour, not really an anchoring spot, gets quite windy there. Short ferry ride to Korcula town.
Loviste on the Northern tip of Peljesac is a good sheltered bay, anchor or go alongside for loading. It's a really nice place so pretty and good for swimming etc. Allegedly the fairly long drive along the length of Peljesac is 'interesting' but you will have stunning views. Fairly easy 2 day sail except in a Yugo with SE winds but that goes for all these destinations.
Otherwise, there are a number of harbours in the Makarska riviera which are much closer to Split, nice, very touristy but require crossing 5km of BHI to reach them.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 09:55   #7

Forgot to mention that Slano has a frequent bus service from Dubrovnik, about a 40min journey.
The bad news is that the forecast for Sat and Sunday is for fresh to strong SE winds (Jugo). Keep an eye on this site but they often last about 3 days which may affect your programme
http://prognoza.hr/karte_e.php?id=dada¶m=st&it=72
Old 30-03-2017, 11:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
It depends whether your friends are able to take the car through Bosnia Herzegovina, otherwise you are left with the area south of BHI or the Peljesac peninsular.
Slano is a good place, .
Rapanui, thanks a lot. I don't know about any potential problems passing through Bosnia Herzegovina, they have US passports, so I think it is not an issue.
I do not see how I can get to Slano in 2 days, unless I sail at night [charter contract violation] or sail for the whole 2 days, not stopping anywhere, which really defeats the purpose of going to Croatia.

I was not talking about THIS weekend, sorry for not being clear. This is for the middle of May.
Old 30-03-2017, 14:41   #9

If you can't or don't want to go as far as Orebic or Loviste, there are a couple of stops before on the continental coast facing Hvar, easy to reach by bus and on your way to the Southern islands. A bit of local touristic resorts but in May it should be very quiet.
Stops afterwards, if not facing SE winds, may include Korcula and Mljet. Alternative could be Mali Ston in case of too strong winds, as this is sheltered by peljesac peninsula, and presents historical interest.
Old 30-03-2017, 15:41   #10

Its not the people passing through BHI but your friends would need to ensure they can take the car through ok.
Mid May sounds a lot better, although you do need to check the weather beforehand so you can work up a plan B.
Agreed that Slano is a long sail in the time you have. Loviste is probably the nearest place to Hvar either on the mainland or with decent access to the mainland 26 nm from Hvar. If progress was good you could carry on to Orebic/Korcula and meet there.
As to where you can cruise to afterwards, it somewhat depends on what constraints you have and returning to Split. The southern islands are very nice, but not overendowed with town quays and marinas but a number of very good restaurants where you pay your mooring by eating there, often with water and electricity. Korcula town is a must see, the Mljet national park and Jezera are worth a look from Polace or Pomena, Lastovo you could spend a week there in Zakloplatica, Malo or Veli Lago & Skrivena Luka, perhaps returning to Split via Vis, Stari Grad on Hvar, Milna on Brac. Basically too much choice for one week and that ignores dozens of secluded bays and the whole area north of Split.
Try to obtain a copy of 777 Harbours and Anchorages. That and Google will help you narrow down a list of options to suit your taste.
Old 31-03-2017, 16:16   #11

Boat: Moody 54

We did that same trip from Split to Dubrovnik. Arrived in Dubrovnik and rented a car through Bosnia no problem to Split. You can't rush this trip. Be sure to know how to do a Mediterranean Moore- watch a Google video. Know that when you enter the cool smaller villages, all the dock guys will offer help, if you take their lines, you basically commit to their restaurant. We found them all to be very slow paced and wonderful. You might look at the suggested island route in Moorings charters.
MamaKube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 13:30   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I would make two suggestions:
1) one week is not enough, it needs to be at least two weeks
2) Ask your friends to take a ferry from Dubrovnik to an Island of your choosing. There are lots of ferry links, expecially from Dubrovnik and Split. The ferry travels much faster than you can in a sailing boat and it would then get them to the outer islands which are so much nicer.
PS: I agree with the suggestion to get a copy of the 777. Excellent info.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:34   #13

Boat: Lagon 450 ,13.96m

May I suggest an alternative. Go to Markaska. this is easily reachable by Bus from Dubrovnik and shoulöd be only a nice day sail from split.

From there you could visite Hvar Solta and Vis and back to Split
Old 11-04-2017, 16:57   #14

What about Ploce, 55-60 miles south from Split. for you 8 to 10 hours, for them two hours from Dubrovnik buy bus. It is not exactly cruising/tourist destination but if you just going to pick them up, why not. Then from there you can go to Peljesac, Hvar Korcula, Vis......

royalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 07:31   #15

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

From Dubrovnik there are regular buses (every hour or so) to Split, that stop at all the main places along the coast. (Usually with a quick break in BiH to stock up on tax free booze and sigarettes). So any place on the mainland would work.
There are also buses to some of the islands.

You can find schedules here for example.

Bus Dubrovnik to Spilt, timetable and online sale of bus tickets
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ovni