Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2021, 14:57   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Spain -- Local Knowledge Needed

I would also recommend Palma de Mallorca, they are well experienced with working on boats at the higher end and will have all the suppliers you may need at a click away.
Used to be hang a left as you enter for the high end marina/yard... hang a right for the rest of us..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 16:28   #17

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Spain -- Local Knowledge Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Really? I did a similar job some years ago in Cowes, over about 3 months. Even doing some of the work myself. Rerig and replace electronics? How long can that take?

You specify:
"Sails I will order from my wonderful sailmaker in the Solent. My friend fell in love with the in-mast furling system on my boat (despite a lifetime with full batten mains) and wants the exact same sails I have. But a rigger? Electronics? Hull polishing, soda blasting the underwater parts, thorough revision of the main engine and generator and servicing, etc etc etc. ???
"
How soon can you get a new mast with in mast furling for a 70 footer as specified?
Surely not off the shelf!!. Several months, perhaps a year at best.

You do not have a yard selected or the precise details of what other equipment is required for other items and evaluated, let alone determined!
What works for a forty footer is chalk and cheese vis a vis a 70 footer!

Hence a Dec 2022 departure in the context of your specified updates is optimistic and a Dec 2021 departure in the context of your specification above is overly optimistic.
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 09:51   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kish View Post
You specify:
"Sails I will order from my wonderful sailmaker in the Solent. My friend fell in love with the in-mast furling system on my boat (despite a lifetime with full batten mains) and wants the exact same sails I have. But a rigger? Electronics? Hull polishing, soda blasting the underwater parts, thorough revision of the main engine and generator and servicing, etc etc etc. ???
"
How soon can you get a new mast with in mast furling for a 70 footer as specified?

You do not have a yard selected or the precise details of what other equipment is required for other items and evaluated, let alone determined!

Hence a Dec 2022 departure in the context of your specified updates is optimistic and a Dec 2021 departure in the context of your specification above is overly optimistic.
Woah! No one is replacing the mast. Just the standing rigging.

Sails from experience will take about two months, and right now is the off season for Solent sailmakers so maybe less.

We'll see whether it's doable or not. I'm on my way down to Spain for the final inspection. In the course of tomorrow, I'll prepare the list of work. After that I'll start talking to specific contractors, and that's when we'll understand.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 16:15   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Each will have their own views as to yards. What I can say without hesitation is that my experience, and that of a number of people that I know, is that whilst Mallorca might be good it is also eye wateringly expensive. It might be sensible therefore to get quotes from a number of yards. Personally I have a fondness for Almerimar as they are very helpful but I cannot vouch for work of the order that you ask about.

What I can vouch for are the furling sales that I had made by Elite Sails. They make them for the Spanish racing team and really know their stuff. Further, I got quotes from the UK, France and Belgium and they beat them all hands down. +34 968 336 151
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 19:50   #20
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by kish View Post
You specify:
"

I have to agree with you and Pete. The way it's going here in the States you would be lucky to get the quotes in for the work by the end of the year. Also, 100k euro sounds like not much to refit that size sailboat.
Old 02-08-2021, 00:54   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I have to agree with you and Pete. The way it's going here in the States you would be lucky to get the quotes in for the work by the end of the year. Also, 100k euro sounds like not much to refit that size sailboat.

There was never any mast replacement involved! And now after having inspected the vessel I'm pretty sure the standing rigging is good for some years more, so I don't think the mast will even need to come out.

So we're really just talking about electronics, sails, running rigging, ground tackle, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff which can mostly be done by my friend's own engineer.

So now it's looking like the yard is not important -- we just need a good electronics guy (or team) who could be flown in wherever, and a good rigger to do a thorough survey of the rig and deck gear and especially, the furling gear.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 02-08-2021, 05:04   #22
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I just installed a Raymarine Axiom with radar and Vesper Cortex system by myself. It was really easy. Palma has excellent riggers and chandleries. If my mate was available I'd totally recommend him as all the items you list would be easy for him to do, except the "professional" rigging survey. I put that in quotes as now having had dealings with 3 rigging companies in the last 6 months, they really don't seem so dang smart or exacting. So probably you mostly need a single or two people to do all this work asap. Maybe approach this group for a project manager / engineer / mechanic.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:42   #23

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Really? I did a similar job some years ago in Cowes, over about 3 months. Even doing some of the work myself. Rerig and replace electronics? How long can that take?
These days the delay isn't always in getting the work done, it's sourcing and receiving the necessary components.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:31   #24
Marine Service Provider

Palma de Mallorca is the best refit port in the Mediterranean by a long way... They have every possible service you could want.
billreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:03   #25

Quote:
There was never any mast replacement involved! And now after having inspected the vessel I'm pretty sure the standing rigging is good for some years more, so I don't think the mast will even need to come out.

So we're really just talking about electronics, sails, running rigging, ground tackle, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff which can mostly be done by my friend's own engineer.

So now it's looking like the yard is not important -- we just need a good electronics guy (or team) who could be flown in wherever, and a good rigger to do a thorough survey of the rig and deck gear and especially, the furling gear.
I've dealt with Alamar Centro Nautico
+34 950 49 79 47
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4eFyxuF3sbLHQpdc7 in Almerimar. They really know everything about Raymarine. They may also work well with other electronics systems.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:41   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for all the tips!
Walt Whitman
Old 06-08-2021, 10:09   #27

Boat: Hunter 49

Lots of delays in electronics at the moment due to a global chip shortage. Even the motor industry has been suffering delays.
At work we are having to wait 12 to 14 weeks for electronic equipment that we would normally get inside 2 weeks.
I hope this does not derail your timetable.
Good luck
CliveCollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 17:39   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munoz View Post
Sorry, not Spain, but what about Portimao in Portugal?
3 yards that can handle larger boats side by side and l many independent tradespeople. It's considered the best place to get blasting work done in the region, Sailmakers, less so, but that shouldn't be an issue for you

Sopramar(?, Not sure of the spelling) in Lagos around the corner also has a great reputation, but isn't cheap and I belive they prefer do the work inhouse when possible.....
Another vote for SOPROMAR in Lagos, Portugal. From my personal experience
and reviews from others, their work is top notch. You would have to take the boat there, but, then again, Lagos is the best spot in continental Europe from which to start an Atlantic crossing. Very nice marina next door to SOPROMAR.
southatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:20   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveCollett View Post
Lots of delays in electronics at the moment due to a global chip shortage. Even the motor industry has been suffering delays.
At work we are having to wait 12 to 14 weeks for electronic equipment that we would normally get inside 2 weeks.
I hope this does not derail your timetable.
Good luck

OK, I've asked my supplier for a quote including time.

If we can't get the electronics in time, it's not a tragedy -- there's a working system on board based on old but functional Raymarine E120's and the pulse radar of that time. We can do the electronics then in the Caribbean over the winter. But it would be nice to have the new system working before the Atlantic crossing.
Walt Whitman
Old 10-08-2021, 10:48   #30

Boat: X-yacht IMX40

Hello, I am in South Spain. Of course you can get proper jobs done anywhere in the coast, there are plenty of yards thru the coast, and no, I wouldn't do it it in the Balearics, mainland would be less expensive.
I guess that you need diferent professionals for different jobs, mechanic, rigger, etc.
You can always let the yard take care of everything or contract the professional for everyjob. If you decide for Málaga area let me know and I pass you the professionals I contract for my boat.
Cheers.
Rebalaje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, Spain