Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 02:36   #1

Marmaris to Kusadasi return in 2 weeks?

Hi all, We are off to Turkey in June and have organised a 44' cat for 2 weeks. We were hoping to sail from Marmaris to Kusadasi to visit Ephesus with one thought being north via the Turkish Coast and south via the greek islands. Is this a realistic plan. Having sailed Croatia, Dubrovnik to Split in 6 days I thought the 2 week itinerary was achievable. I would value your thoughts. Thank you. Pratty
Pratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 04:07   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Marmaris to Kusadasi return in 2 weeks?

Ephesus is one of the greatest historical sights you will see in the cruising world. Its a couple of kilometers from the Temple of Artemis ruins - one of the Seven Wonders of the World. To be able to do both in one day is truly a life memorable day!!

There are rules to do it affordably.
Go to Selcuk on a local bus! Go to Ephuses on the local mini bus! Not a taxi, not a 'tour' bus.
When you get to the front area of Ephuses do not listen to any of the guides, you dont have to have one... and they are expensive.
Dont buy entry tickets before you get to the official ticket box.
Be aware that all the souvenirs there are available in the supermarkets at half the price.

If money is no object, and time is limited, then do what you like but dont get angry when you are stiffed at every turn.

Very few people stop at the ruin(s) of the Temple of Artemis... theres only one or two pillars still standing... but its so close to Ephusus that is would be a tragedy to miss one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Do what you must to get there. Its on the road between Selcuk and Ephuses so you just jump off the mini bus (on the way back is easiest), but you gotta know where it is. the locals have forgotten about it.

Marmaris to Kusadasi
Its 150nms but water so not far. But as day sails its a few days so dont dally to much on the way. The nav is interesting and expect to use the engine to get between some islands etc.

Have fun.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 04:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pratty.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 09:15   #4

Boat: Bavaria 37

Hi !
It depends on the weather you will have. The straits between Kos and Turkey and Samos and Turkey are sometimes windy with strong gusts... But I suppose you know that.
There are a lot of wonderful islands on the way, among them little one (Lipso, Marathos, Arki, Agathonisi) each worth of a stop ! And what to say about Patmos (Monastery) ? And Leros or Samos ?
Well, it is to say that the Turkish coast between Kusadasi and Bodrum peninsula is quite all concrete and is not the most interesting in Turkey. So if Ephesus is THE spot and the goal for you (I can understand : my sail boat is in Kusadasi marina just near), maybe could you stop mostly in Greek islands...
Check your charter company is OK with the fact of sailing from Turkey to Greece and back.
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 16:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Well MArmaris - Kusadası is not 150 nm as Mark suggested but almost the double (277 nm), if you go strait..
You didn't mention how much you want to sail by night, how is the crew and what kind of cat, etc. On the way up, unless you are extremely lucky you will have 18-25 kts of wind on yr nose all the way. If you are lucky, you might have lighter or a bit more northerly winds that will allow you to motor sail or even close reach. Southerlies are very rare in this season.
I would plan the trip according to the wind and crew's mode, after all this is not a delivery trip. Anchorages that I would suggest on yr way, starting from Marmaris are;

çiftlik, bozukkale, palamutbükü, datça,knidos, bodrum

on turkish side and;rhodes, simi, kalimnos, leros and Patnos in Greece. The way back will be mostly down wind sailing. If you can get a spinneaker and can use it, will be easy and fast sailing..
If you want to visit Greece , inform yr charter company. It will cost some extra money and some buraucracy but it's worthed.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 05:29   #6

Thank you all for the warm welcome and detailed reply. I have sailed the Ionians before and been to Rhodes, Kos and Samos via the ferry's but it was a long time ago. I really appreciate the feedback. We are on a new 44' Helios cat and having chartered a Lagoon 440 I'm expecting it to move fairly quickly. I'm the only sailor on board although some have been with me before. I don't wish to push them too hard. I am unaware of the normal breezes that occur in summer. Thank you again.
Old 14-02-2013, 13:03   #7

If I had non-sailors with me and wanted a relaxing holiday, I wouldn't set my sights on Kusadasi for some more reasons:
In addition to 18-25 kn winds you'll get uncomfortable sea state. Also, Turkish coast and Greek islands are mountainous so you will get awkward wind shifts.
You'll miss gorgeous places in a race to get to Ephesus, see it and Temple of Artemis, and get back in time.

If I were doing it, I'd spend the whole two weeks cruising Turkey: Marmaris -> Fethiye with a stop in Dalyan if you want unique historical places, then to Hisaronu, Datca, Gokova, Bodrum and, if feeling ambitious, Didim. Then fly to Izmir, rent a car and drive to Ephesus or take a bus if you're feeling adventurous. Ephesus it best viewed early in the morning before the crowds set in, Temple of Artemis closes at 5, but you can sneakily stay there to watch the sunset - stunning! So right there 3 days out of 2 weeks are gone (1 day to arrive, organize transport, 1 day to view, 1 day to leave). And in your hurry you'll miss: beautiful Dalyan river with ruins and tombs and local fishermen, Oludeniz with healing waters and brave parasailors, quintessentially Turkish Datca and Hisaronu, naturally beautiful Gokova, noisy and hip Bodrum, and all those little places where you accidentally stumble on yet one more old castle/defense wall, cemetery, etc.

So if I were doing this, I'd use the two weeks to sail Turkish coast, and then do two historical trips: Ephesus and Cappadocia, stopping on the way to view Fires of Chimera and other wonders. Cappadocia is a wonder in itself, there is enough history and stunning vistas to remember for a lifetime. We did Bodrum - Cappadocia trip in two weeks and it was just right, but lots of driving. You can also fly to Ankara and go from there.

Another trip that's worth considering is a trip to Pamukkale in Denizli, but there pictures speak for themselves. That's also another place that's breathtakingly beatufitul at sunset and is wortha 2-3 days to explore.

Whatever you end up doing, enjoy it!
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 15:04   #8

Boat: Selene 59

Hi Pratty,

I agree with all the previous comments.

If you only have two weeks don't waste your time trying to sail to Kusadasi, take a tour from Marmaris, 2 days and you visit Ephesus and Pamukkale/Hierapolis, which in our opinion is equally as good as Ephesus. Tours are not expensive. You can also take the high speed ferry to Rhodes from Marmaris, which is worth a day out for something different.

Then, spend your time sailing around the Bays of Yesilova and Gokova .... Ciftlik, Bozburrun, Orhaniye, Knidos, Bodrum, Symi (see Yeloya's comments re cost) etc, which is magnificent and relaxed sailing. You can also go to Gocek/Fethiye calling in at Ekincik along the way, it's not far.

At the end of all this, you would have seen lots, would have sailed in some of the best spots in the Med in good weather and best of all, you will be relaxed.

Cheers
Brownie
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 17:35   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Well MArmaris - Kusadası is not 150 nm as Mark suggested but almost the double (277 nm), Yeloya
Sorry, but the chart shows 150nms. That route is viable as we did it in 2010.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_001.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	54791  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 05:35   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oddyssey 37 ft 2002

Hi Pratty,
All adviced are logical but depends what you are up to.
In general in june the seasonal meltemi starts but not as stong as in july and august. If not storm, max force 5-6 by noon and fades away at night. If not blowing, practically no wind. Up to Kusadasi you will have to motor most of the time due to wind on the nose, or no wind. To avoid strong wind on the nose start very early in the morning. Wheather forecast is announced in CH 16 and broadcasted in CH 67 afterwards in a funny English accent but understandable.
Those are valid if you follow the Turkish coast or Greek islands. They are mingled and generally up to north.
For routing I would advice Bozburun ( Yesilova ) as first stop. Quite beautiful small bays and anchorages. If you want to see the village and go to a restaurant, get in the village either into the port or anchor outside and go to shore with the dinggy, safe in weather and safetywise. The next stops may be Palamutbuku or Knidos ( a natural harbour with ruins and only a single restaurant). Third to Yalikavak marina, village is worth to wander around.
Then directly to Kusadasi, nothing worth to stop in between. On this route you are missing the Hisaronu and Gokova bay but it is life. The milage is about in correspondence 40, 30, 30, 60 miles. You will miss some nice sailing areas of Turkey but will be safer not to be stuck by the wind in the last days of your holiday. On the way back to Marmaris, you will have wind on the beam or broad -reach.
When in Kusadasi don't bother with public transport, rent a car for comfort and to save time. The roads are proper and well signed. If you are not doing a doctores, 1 day is OK for the ruins. Check whether it is open everday.
On the way back Samos ( port of entry ) and Kos are crowded big towns interesting but depends on your choise. Patmos and Kalimnos definetly worth visiting. Simi is inevitable both in beauty, routewise and as a port of entry closest to Marmaris. You can skip Leros and if you like more simple holidays Arky, Lipsoi are choises.
If you rather uninhabited anchorages spend more time in Gokova Bay.
You can make longer passages on the way to north if you want to be more quick.
Work out your preferences realistically because the main goal of Ephesus from Marmaris should be worked out well. You will either enjoy Greece or Turkey, to balance both looks difficult to me.
Enjoy your holiday.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 07:06   #11

I agree with Yeloya
At Ephesus i suggest you to get a digital guide. (Avaible at ephesus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Well MArmaris - Kusadası is not 150 nm as Mark suggested but almost the double (277 nm), if you go strait..
You didn't mention how much you want to sail by night, how is the crew and what kind of cat, etc. On the way up, unless you are extremely lucky you will have 18-25 kts of wind on yr nose all the way. If you are lucky, you might have lighter or a bit more northerly winds that will allow you to motor sail or even close reach. Southerlies are very rare in this season.
I would plan the trip according to the wind and crew's mode, after all this is not a delivery trip. Anchorages that I would suggest on yr way, starting from Marmaris are;

çiftlik, bozukkale, palamutbükü, datça,knidos, bodrum

on turkish side and;rhodes, simi, kalimnos, leros and Patnos in Greece. The way back will be mostly down wind sailing. If you can get a spinneaker and can use it, will be easy and fast sailing..
If you want to visit Greece , inform yr charter company. It will cost some extra money and some buraucracy but it's worthed.

Cheers

Yeloya
Turksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 06:33   #12

Thank you very much for all you feedback. I see there is transit log requirements for exiting and entering Greece and Turkey. Does any one know if you can pay for a 2 week log or must it be paid every time you enter.? How much does it cost now?
Old 22-02-2013, 02:33   #13

Boat: Bavaria 37

I suppose it depends on the flag your charter boat will have. And what the charter company will tell you to do.
Between Turkey and Greece, with my own boat, I do like most of european people and don't do all the formalities each time I sail from one country to another one (I do it only the first and last time of the season in each country), but the best is to ask your charter company and to be able to understand what cannot be said but is commonly done ! Tere are rules in theory and rules in practice...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote