Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 08:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 1987
Itineraries for Ionian Islands

Leaving out of Lefkada for week long charter. Any suggestions for must see stops? Prefer to anchor out instead of med moor. Any good harbors for that?
compassrose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 08:40   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Itineraries for Ionian Islands

Between Nisos Agios Nikolaou and the NE side of Ithaka.
Magic spot.

Have a lovely week.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 00:46   #3

Boat: Callisto 460 Steel Ketch 13mtrs

Can recommend "big" Vathi on Island of Ithaca. A favorite for my wife and I. Do check out the open air cinema. Good Luck

Rob Bryan
+44 7795 156981
S/Y Arcas
at anchor in Vlicho Bay, Lefkada
Rob Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 03:16   #4

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

I suggest going North rather than South. Preveza and the big inland bay behind it (dolphins!). Paxos and anti-Paxos are some of the very best islands in all of Greece. Corfu, of course.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 09:45   #5

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Not many harbours in Ionian where you can anchor without med mooring. Lots of bays to anchor in but then you are usually anchoring with lines ashore as well.
What are you looking for at your destinations?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:24   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

In one week you need to decide between nortbound and southbound itinerary. Not enough time for both.
I will not build itineraries, but list places worth a visit.
North: Preveza town (either on town quay, or on anchor in front of the quay. In bad weather, in the anchorage to the north of/behind the new marina.
Parga bay (on the mainland)
Mongonisi bay in the south of Paxi. Anchor.
Gaios in central Paxi - town quay.
Lakka - north Paxi. Also town quay.
Corfu town - Mandraki sailing club under the Venetian fortress.

South:
Tranquil bay east of Nydri.
Spartochori in Meganisi - deep anchorage, or buoy of Spilia restaurant or Spilia restaurant pontoon.
Sivota on the south tip of Lefkada - anchor or restaurant pontoon (there are several).
Asos anchorage - west Kefalonia (day anchorage or night in good forecast).
Aya Eufimia - east Kefalonia
Vathy on Ithaca.

There numerous beautiful bays and coves to in the islands south of Lefkada marina that this place would not suffice to describe that may be excellent lunch stops. You will see them on your way to any designated night stop.
Old 23-08-2019, 16:28   #7

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassrose88 View Post
Leaving out of Lefkada for week long charter. Any suggestions for must see stops? Prefer to anchor out instead of med moor. Any good harbors for that?
Have a look here:
https://www.sailingissues.com/greek.html
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 21:36   #8

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

Get the Imray book "Ionian" by Rod and Lucinda Heikell
Excellent and comprehensive guide
Fiscardo, Kalamos, Sivotta, Ormous Varko south of the Levkas canal great lunch stop, also Poros and the sea caves
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 21:46   #9

At first have a look at the weather by grib files. Usually there are northerly Winds, what means after going south You will have to go back by motor, or the other way round. Inside the Ambrakian Gulf the Wind is more westerly. Just consider e.g. visiting Preveza (they have a long quai outside of the harbour where You can dock your way, or even anchor in the bay) then going to Vonitsa, which is smaller than Preveza, but similar, finally visiting Rouga Bay which ist pure nature and anchoring only. This and going back the same way would fill just one week of sailing.
greetings
nw

PS: This is the area, where the great Sea Battle between Octavian (Augustus) and Antonius/Cleopatra had taken place
mariner-dovb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 23:10   #10

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I'm here now and have repeatedly heard of wonderful secluded anchorages in the bay being preveza for sure. Right now paxos is a chitshow of boats everywhere, altho the bays and water is stunning. If you want to visit corfu and hate med mooring, the anchorage just south of the castle is huge. But mandraki sailing club just around the North side of the castle is a gem so bright and beautiful we stopped for one day and decided to spend the winter and much of this summer there. Gorgeous 2 min walk to old corfu Town, excellent bar and restaurant, and private little beach to swim. But call ahead a day, the are tiny and often full. Don't arrive before noon and be patient, if needed you can anchor in the harbor entrance to wait or even overnight.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:28   #11

Hi, we spent 4 weeks in Corfu, anchored off Ipsos in sand, off the castle in weed and sand and further south a beautiful anchorage off Petriti. All great holding. The ionian is a great place to anchor, we have never entered a marina.

Paxos is amazing, but really busy in season so we only visit out of season.

Perveza has a great anchorage, protected and a pretty cool cafe culture now.

I love Ithaca, my favourite, so many beautiful anchorages and great hikes, Filiatero is my favourite anchorage.

Lefkas is also pretty in places. Great anchorage is Vliho Bay for protection.

I have documented some of the places, hope they help, if you have any other questions please ask

Corfu -
Paxos and Corfu -
Ithaca and Meganisi -
chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:13   #12

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I disagree some in this thread. I find that the wind varies a lot and most of the bad wind comes from the south. It's only a couple of months in the summer when you get wind from the NW.

I also don't think Prevesa is worth a visit when such a short time frame and there are rumours that you can't anchor by the hospital anymore. The town quay there is known to be dangerous in winds from the SE too. Otherwise it's ok.

Nidri/Vliho is well protected but has in past suffered from bad Katabalic winds, it's rare though. As a charter boat I can't see that much value in staying there. It's mostly cruisers and liveaboard, some of which never move their boat, so be wary about swimming.

Unlike Nidri, the water in Meganissi is fantastically clear, and Island is wonderful. Lots of small bays and coves within an easy walk from Vathy.

With only a week it is difficult but my itinerary going south would be:

Lefkas to Abaleke (Meganissi)
Abaleke to Fiskado (Kefelonia)
Fiskado to Vathy (Ithaca)
Vathy to Kalamos
Kalamos to Lefkas

None of those sails are more than 4.5-5hs and it gives you a day or two staying in one place to enjoy it.

There is the potential to skip Vathy and instead anchor further north in Ithaca. I found a lovey bay only reachable by boat. Anchored in 10-12m and easily see squid/octopus (one of those) on the bottom.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, ionian