Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2019, 08:00   #1

Boat: Jeanneau, 45DS
Corinth Canal

I'm planning a passage from Turkey to Spain via the Corinth Canal, Straits of Messina, Sardinia and Minorca. Can any one share any experience of a similar trip with me, and particularly about any issues or surprises I might encounter ?
Many thanks !!
Simonradiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 08:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Corinth Canal

The only difference from me on this trip is I always go from Greece to Syracuse then along Sicily's S coast before jumping to Sardinia.
Corinth canal W bound you can go through most any time, I have transitted at 0200hrs then anchored up for some sleep the other side in the N end of the bay.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 09:06   #3

Re: Corinth Canal

Thanks boatman 61 ! Are there places to anchor up on the East side (overnight) too ?
Old 30-08-2019, 09:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes to the port side of the Canal entrance as you approach is a beach and hotel, you are fine 300metres off the beach.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 30-08-2019, 09:39   #5

Great - thanks for that.. good info !
Old 31-08-2019, 06:46   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

We did this trip starting 3 years ago and did as Boatman suggested. I have to say that if you haven't been to Malta that is a stop you have to do. I didn't find the south coast of Sicily to be very nice but also didn't linger long. South of Sardinia was great.

I also anchored on the east side of the Corinth Canal. No problems but you are exposed to wind. There are several bays SE of the canal entrance that provide shelter also. The real problem happens when you get through the canal. You either have to overnight in Corinth or put the pedal to the metal and get to Galaxidi. If you go at first light it shouldn't be a problem. Also pay attention to what day the canal is closed. I forgot which it is but one day a week they shut down.
Old 31-08-2019, 07:42   #7

... personally would anchor east of the canal, transit early and than if you want to do another stop have a look a Galaxidi and / or Nafpaktos on the way west. After that not much more interesting in Greece. Maybe do a stop in Zakynthos b4 heading out of Greece.

BTW, the canal is closed on Thursdays ...

Safe trip!

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 08:08   #8

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Just a bit about messina: if you see any sweet green or orange southerly coming up and you think it'll be a nice boost, don't. That sweet green funneling up even in midsummer can be 50+ knots. Don't ask me how I know. Gusts from the mountains are unpredictable too. Add the tides (use this Correnti dello Stretto - Valori e calcolo Correnti Stretto di Messina) and the vts (don't bother calling if you stay out of the lanes) next time thru I'll motor the whole way. Much more relaxing. The town of scilla is a great stop after by the way...
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 09:05   #9

Thanks for all the great info - please do keep it coming !! all great insights !!

On the Sea of Patras, I was thinking about entering the canal very early am, then getting all the way through to stop in Patras in 12 hours.. Do you think this is possible ?
Old 31-08-2019, 09:21   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonradiohead View Post
Thanks for all the great info - please do keep it coming !! all great insights !!

On the Sea of Patras, I was thinking about entering the canal very early am, then getting all the way through to stop in Patras in 12 hours.. Do you think this is possible ?
Yes it is very possible.
On my last delivery through there last year we over nighted in Patras to get the paperwork sorted (nice place) and sailed around 10am, we got to the canal entrance around 6pm.. mind we were running downwind in 25+kts and hitting 8kts a few times.
If your not shy using the engine and not fighting a Westerly it can be done.

Old 31-08-2019, 12:41   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:

Are you in a major hurry? Patras is just a large city. Galaxidi is a quaint village. Itea is at the doorstep to Delphi and some of the best olive oil you can find. Trizonia is a fantastic little island that was a highlight of my trip through this area.

Also, I'd way more prefer to go to Kefalonia than Zakynthos. Zakynthos is filled with a bunch of drunk Brits whereas Kefalonia is filled with a bunch of drunk Greeks :-)
Old 31-08-2019, 13:00   #12

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

A few words on the gulf of Corinth. Do not misjudge it. It can be very windy despite looking like a big lake on the charts.

When you get through the canal, go into Corinth harbour.
The next day if you have a reasonable weather forecast leave very early for your trip towards the west.

I had it several times that later in the day very strong westerlies get funneled through the gulf of Corinth.
Not fun. We had 43kn of wind when going east and took shelter in Anemokampi.

If you leave early enough you can make enough way to cross towards one of the sheltered bays on the North shore.

By the way Delphi is well worth a visit.

There is also a nice small sheltered bay called Anemo(=Wind)campi(=resting place). These translations are approximative.
It provided shelter already in ancient times.

Enjoy sailing these historic waters!
Old 01-09-2019, 04:12   #13

great knowledge. that's very helpful.. its quite difficult choosing overnight moorings from the cruising guide and chart.. I'd much prefer to choose a smaller more picturesque place ! However, i do know enough to give Zakynthos a miss !
Old 01-09-2019, 04:33   #14

Quote:
Zakynthos is filled with a bunch of drunk Brits
We stayed a few months total in 2018 in Zakynthos and what you say is definitely not true (at least when we talk about Zakynthos Harbor). There is large hotel development a few kilometer south-east of Zakynthos town where I heard a lot of Brits stay ...

Zakynthos harbor is not bad (maybe even great) to provision (if you need to have to) ..

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
I'm planning a passage from Turkey to Spain via the Corinth Canal, Straits of Messina, Sardinia and Minorca. Can any one share any experience of a similar trip with me, and particularly about any issues or surprises I might encounter ?
Many thanks !!
The first surprise you might encounter is the price of the channel ..
I would personaly avoid it and sail down around the tip of Greece, the winds will be mostly on yr aft quarter.
Then, I recon what Boatman said, follow the S of Sicilly. Then when you hit the South of Sardinia, forget the marina in Villaresmiu (I hope spelled correctly..) and Cagliari. The rest of Sardinia is beatiful, Carloforte being my favorite.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal