Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2010, 07:10   #1

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
GRP Cockpit Roof

We are still hoping to replace our canvas cockpit roof with a fixed GRP roof capable of taking a person's weight. The size is approx 230 x 300 cms.

We are en route to the Greek Islands via the Balearics and Sardinia and would appreciate any recommendations of boatyards that would be able to do a decent job at a reasonable price.

Many thanks

rivonia
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 21:06   #2

Boat: 42 US YACHT
You can build a GRP cockpit top yourself by following these ideas.

I’m in the process of constructing a GRP hard top for my center cockpit sailboat out of thin GRP panels from the local lumber yard. These panels are used in commercial kitchens and are applied with glue to the kitchen walls so the kitchen walls can be sanitary and be cleaned easily.
The panels measure 123cm X 246cm and are 2mm thick with a pebble finish on one side and smooth GRP finish on the other side. I’ll be applying the pebble finish down for the first layer so the inside of the finished top will have the pebble finish and therefore no paint will be needed for the inside layer when it’s finished.
The 210cm X 246cm form for the top I made up from 5 pieces of 5cm thick X 15cm wide X 246cm lumber and cut it down for the width of 210cm with spacing of 61.5 cm apart and fashioned it with a gentle curve for the top and then a little more curve at the edges. I followed the curve of the stainless bows of the existing top as much as possible.
I attached more lumber along the (210cm) side edges so I could screw the GRP panels down at the side and will bend/apply the first two panels (first layer) of 2mm thin GRP to the form.
I’ll apply GRP resin with a roller to both sides of each layer and be sure to attach each layer with screws at the edges before applying the next layer with four layers (8mm) sufficient for the strength to hold a person on top.
The panels must be cut lengthwise so that the next layer’s joints are staggered for strength. The first layer will be two panels with a joint in the middle.(pebble side down) One panel for the second layer will be cut at 61.5cm and will be applied at the edges with a full panel in the middle of that layer for staggered joints. The third layer will have one panel joint cut at 30.7cm and then the full panel in the middle with the rest of the cut panel (92.2cm) at the other edge. The last layer will not have to be cut and will have a joint in the middle, like the first layer and will be applied with the pebble finish on the top so I won’t have to paint it. A total of 8 mm thickness. The 2mm GRP panels will be left full length and the side edge trimmed after the GRP resin has cured.
After the GRP resin has cured I’ll be trimming/cutting the corners at the edges with a radius curve to make the top look fashionable. I’ll be copying the existing top to get an idea of how to trim the corners.
I will be using the existing stainless steel bows that are used in the existing top, for the support of the new GRP top. New clear panels will be sewn for the front, sides and rear for my center cockpit full enclosure.
You can use these ideas and apply your top’s measurements to fashion a top for your boat’s application.
The cost here in the Pacific Northwest USA, is $45.00 for lumber, screws etc, $250.00 for the 8 GRP panels, $150.00 for GRP resin and will be about $500.00 total for all the materials to complete this top.
This top is not that hard to construct, and if requested, I’ll send pictures when it’s finished.
Good luck,
Jim
boatrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 23:45   #3

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Cool

Hello Jim,
that all sounds terrific and just out of curiosity would love to see photos's of work in progress and the finished job.
It would appear that you are LAND based and not like us sailing and living aboard. We have no work shop/tools etc in order to do such a large project ourselfs. Hence our request to find someone en-route to do the job. With rgards to your costing's, they are very very good and if we were in the state (usa) then we would more than likely get those prices. We have had a decent quote from a company in Greece @ €3500.00 estimate. Looking forward to seeing your photo's.

Best regards
Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote