Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2019, 16:49   #1

Boat: Sabre 38
Charts for the Med and Greece

I am looking for a source of Charts for the Med and Greece. I have a 43 foot sailboat that will be leaving Boston Mass and end up in Greece the first of May. We are looking for charts that we can load into a Furuno NavNet 3d plus paper charts for the waters that we will be traveling. We also have the Raymarine a -series plotter with Lighthouse II software as a backup system. The Furuno system controls the autopilot on the boat.

Thanks
george123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 17:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Charts for the Med and Greece

you should be able to get all your paper charts and pilots here,possibly data cards and downloads for raymarine and furuno as well.
just make sure you are sitting down when you get the bill!

https://www.imray.com/contact/
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 17:45   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by george123 View Post
I am looking for a source of Charts for the Med and Greece. I have a 43 foot sailboat that will be leaving Boston Mass and end up in Greece the first of May. We are looking for charts that we can load into a Furuno NavNet 3d plus paper charts for the waters that we will be traveling. We also have the Raymarine a -series plotter with Lighthouse II software as a backup system. The Furuno system controls the autopilot on the boat.

Thanks

I’ve got old (2007-2011) Imray charts for most of the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic coasts of Portugal, Spain and France. PM if interested and we can work something out. Won’t cost you much and whatever echarts you get will take care of any significant updates.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 18:43   #4
cruiser

We use a complete set of navionics platinum + charts purchased fron waveinn.com in Spain. Not cheap but good, just make sure you order the right card mini. The three of them were around $350 each, so nearly $1200.

I’ll arrive in Greece around June 5, see you there.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 08:46   #5

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Navionics do a complete chart for the Med and Black Sea all the way out to the Azores and Canaries. Check NAV+43XG on their website for details. Not as high spec as the Platinum plus charts as it doesn't have the Aerial Photos etc but plenty good enough for normal needs. To do the same area on Plat+ is 4 sets of charts at £399 each, the basic Nav+ is £299 for the whole area (with the exception of the Libya/Egypt coastline).

Over time I have picked up some large JPEG charts which if you have access to a big plotter you could print out but they are large. For instance the one I use for Lefkas area is 18MB alone. But if you would like a copy drop me a PM and I can see about getting them across to you.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 09:48   #6

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Navionics on tablet and Google earth for aerials , cost less than 150 for the maps,
Have use them all over Greece and most med never failed .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 10:43   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Navionics on tablet and Google earth for aerials , cost less than 150 for the maps,
Have use them all over Greece and most med never failed .
But that won’t work on the Axiom chartplotter that the Op owns. But yes, I highly recommend TZ by Nobeltec which is a free iPad app along with a complete set of Med charts for around $75 if he goes the tablet route.
Old 14-03-2019, 14:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
But that won’t work on the Axiom chartplotter that the Op owns. But yes, I highly recommend TZ by Nobeltec which is a free iPad app along with a complete set of Med charts for around $75 if he goes the tablet route.
You don't really need the chart plotter ..... Med is one of the easiest location's to navigate ....
Old 14-03-2019, 17:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You don't really need the chart plotter ..... Med is one of the easiest location's to navigate ....
do you get overlaid radar.ais,wind,speed,depth ,track , waypoint and autopilot control?
Old 14-03-2019, 17:57   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
do you get overlaid radar.ais,wind,speed,depth ,track , waypoint and autopilot control?
I’ve been using only an iPad for navigation in the Med for seven years without a problem. But this year we’re adding a pair of new chartplotters with Navionics Platinum+ charts which will be nice(r). We’ll still continue to use the iPads part-time for sure.

But the question was posted by the Op who already has a Raymarine Axiom onboard, so why not utilize it to the fullest? Not everyone on this forum wants the cheapest possible solution, especially if they plan to spend significant time in an area.

Cheap doesn’t always equal best in many cases. Our solution is to have both.
Old 14-03-2019, 18:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
I just gave the cheapest option available.
The rest you state except depth and track are gadgets.
Old 14-03-2019, 18:52   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I just gave the cheapest option available.
The rest you state except depth and track are gadgets.
no you can use the michelin road map of europe which has lat and long,depth contour and opencpn with free cmap for about 7.50 euros as the cheapest option.

but that was not the question the op asked,ie how to get current up to date charts and current up to date data cards for his raymarine plotter,and current downloads for med charts for his furuno plotter

imray can supply all of the above and the pilot books.

i don't belive the op asked" how can i sail the med on a shoestring,with a redundant $15,000 plotter ,radar,autopilot,ais, integrated navigation system?!
Old 16-03-2019, 05:04   #13

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

For paper charts ,Imray covers Greece very well, and include harbour large scale information.
They also provide Rod Heikels Greek Waters Pilot book which I would strongly recommend.
I will be there at the same time in the Agean side. The Ionian can get very crowded.
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 14:42   #14

Boat: Sabre 38

I appreciate all the comments. I will look at the Imray website to see what thinks will cost. The boat will be staying in the Med so having charts on the chart plotters will be helpful. There is also a laptop that has opencpn loaded. What is this free cmap that atoll commented on. My system is fully intergrated with radar,wind, speed, depth, AIS, autopilot, and laptop with TZ software.
george123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 14:52   #15

Boat: Amel 50

Here are free .kap charts of Europe for OpenCPN: KAP Charts

You can look into all the OpenCPN chart sources here: OpenCPN Chart Sources
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, Greece