Boat: JEANNEAU 64
Re: Buying a boat in Turkey

Hahahah very funny
SYNADINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 04:34   #47

Boat: JEANNEAU 64

Frankie,
i assume you have skipped somehow the info I had sent you. Thatswhy onemore time. The boat you concider to buy has delaware registration. That means it is not the turkish jurisdiction. Turkish law or a turkish lawyer can not harm you.
The British survayer Joe has been suggested to you by several sailors. I know him aswell. He had surveyed my previous boat in July 2016,which I sold after his survey to a german couple.
Your concerns about turkey or the concerns of your friends does not matter here,if you just want to buy a boat. If not i assume this plarform is not the right one.
SYNADINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 06:46   #48

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie46 View Post
So, the first part of the plan is to engage an english speaking surveyor or yachtsman experienced with Lagoons to do the first "look."
I think you would be much better served by retaining a buyer's broker on site in Turkey. They could do a preliminary inspection of the boat, at no cost to you, to confirm that it is generally in the stated condition of the listing. They are also familiar with the paperwork that is required for the transaction to proceed and confirming with the selling broker that everything is in order. In the US, a buyer's broker splits the commission with the selling broker so it does not come out your pocket.

A good buyer's broker is going to give you an honest assessment of the boat as he/she wants the sale to go through, which won't happen if they misrepresent the boat to you. They will also be in a good position to help you formulate an offer and negotiating strategy, based on recent sales in Turkey and other similar boats available on the Med.

So have the buyer's broker inspect the boat, THEN make an offer, THEN hire a surveyor.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 13:04   #49

Lightbulb Re: Buying a boat in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I think you would be much better served by retaining a buyer's broker on site in Turkey. They could do a preliminary inspection of the boat, at no cost to you, to confirm that it is generally in the stated condition of the listing. They are also familiar with the paperwork that is required for the transaction to proceed and confirming with the selling broker that everything is in order. In the US, a buyer's broker splits the commission with the selling broker so it does not come out your pocket.

A good buyer's broker is going to give you an honest assessment of the boat as he/she wants the sale to go through, which won't happen if they misrepresent the boat to you. They will also be in a good position to help you formulate an offer and negotiating strategy, based on recent sales in Turkey and other similar boats available on the Med.

So have the buyer's broker inspect the boat, THEN make an offer, THEN hire a surveyor.
Sounds like good advice. Thank you
frankie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 00:31   #50

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

You may want to take a look at keep the boat in Greece on one of the islands. It appears the Greeks have finally run out of Euro money and decided to make a living again. In Kusadasi somewhere between 50-85 boats left the marina and went to Greek Islands due to the cost - Some to Samos some to Kos some to others -
Of course the ripple effect is huge as the local chandlery had to close as fewer boats less work for the yard thus less parts sold - and the yard is almost empty - lots of skilled workers laid off --
From what we have heard the Greeks may becoming competitive in the boat storage and repair area but you will have to check that out for yourself.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 01:46   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Interesting - a new development after the Greeks used to find ways of charging the heck out of yotties. Turkey was always far more competitive to keep your boat so this is worth exploring.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 03:12   #52

Boat: Catalina 375

My two cents worth. I fly thru Istanbul airport regularly for work. I have never felt animosity towards foreigners there. In fact the airport is like the United Nations. It is one of the busy airports of the world. Things seem to run like clockwork. I have not sailed from Marmaris to Rhodes for a number of years however if the boat is foreign owned, I think it would be prudent for comfort of mind to do the deal in Rhodes. Also make sure there are no debts owed on the boat in Turkey before you buy.
I am envious. It is a beautiful area to sail. I will be flying thru Istanbul in two weeks. Great place for Christmas shopping.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 17:04   #53

Boat: FP HELIA 44

My husband and I are from Australia and our dream was to sell our Brisbane home and buy a boat in the Med and start our adventure. We found a catamaran online which was how we luckily found our brokers. (Johnathon and Ozlem). We struck up email conversation and then phone conversation with Johnathon ( a French Canadian chap married to Ozlem (Turkish) and both living in Turgutries near Bodrum, Turkey)
The first catamaran we found had a furling sail which we didnt want but Johnathon knew of another boat 2 hours away but didnt have photos as yet... so he jumped in his car and drove straight to Didim and within a few hours we had the very detailed photos and enough information. We loved it so booked air tickets for Turkey* and Johnathon told us of a great place to book into for accomodation.
For every step of the way (which included driving us everywhere themselves) both Johnathon and Ozlem were very knowlegable, wonderful, caring and honest. They wanted our boating adventure to be a happy and smooth one. They assisted us in everyway possible from finding suitable surveyors, reputable companies for supplying and installing water maker and also installing genset (we purchased a kolher genset vat free ourselves but required installation)and any other items we required for comfortable sailing.* Having both of them as interpretors*and negotiators during the process was fantastic. (They both speak many languages and Johnathon is a very experienced ships Captain so knew his stuff)
*If your looking to buy or upgrade your boat we can highly recommend this wonderful couple... Johnathon and his wife Ozlem from grupo lafortune
https://www.glyachts.com/
As this was our first ever boat they spent many days and hours with us every step of the way through the sale and after, even assisting with a sailing itinerary of excellent places to visit... Lindal and Ian Pitcher...
lindalpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:09   #54

We just purchased a boat in Turkey, this was our experience and what we had to do, hope it helps

Jason
Sailing Kawai
chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 06:30   #55

Boat: Stevens 50
Buying a boat in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chook View Post
We just purchased a boat in Turkey, this was our experience and what we had to do, hope it helps

Jason

Sailing Kawai

Wow! What a great service to the community. Though I am not yet in the market for a boat - I am doing research - if I found myself in the circumstance of purchasing in Turkey I would be enormously thankful for your post. I hope and trust your experience sailing is just as fabulous. Thank you!
John Saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 09:11   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy98245 View Post
Get a Greek surveyor?!!! You've got to be kidding! Greeks are the original ripoff artists! I've never seen so many scams in my life as in Greece whereas the Turkish people are very upfront and honest. With that said, I'd still tread carefully. But NEVER use a Greek for anything!

After having been to both Greece and Turkey several times, I have to agree that the Greeks are the ultimate scam artists. They have scams for even the smallest things, all intended to defraud you. The Turks, on the other hand, are very open and straight forward. I have never experienced any deception while in Turkey.

With all of this said, using an established surveyor as your first eyes on a vessel seems like a very prudent first step in the purchase process.
sailguy98245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 04:53   #57
cruiser

Has anyone here done any boat rentals with navisyo.com?

I am looking to rent a boat when I go visit Nice France in March.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanx
lulolulito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 07:29   #58
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Buying a boat in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy98245 View Post
After having been to both Greece and Turkey several times, I have to agree that the Greeks are the ultimate scam artists. They have scams for even the smallest things, all intended to defraud you. The Turks, on the other hand, are very open and straight forward. I have never experienced any deception while in Turkey.

With all of this said, using an established surveyor as your first eyes on a vessel seems like a very prudent first step in the purchase process.

I boat and spend considerable time in Greece. I find these comments incredibly offensive. I found nothing but honesty in my dealings with Greeks.

Tags
buying, Turkey