Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2021, 03:19   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Bareboat Charter Ionian Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I was not talking about croatia but about ionian.

You don't always need a certificate in the EU . My EU flag state has no requirement for a certificate for pleasure boats and I've only been asked for it once in the EU and nothing would have happened if I did not have one.
what state
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:31   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Bareboat Charter Ionian Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesaj View Post
Also, any other tips for us would be appreciated.

Get this book — it’s a classic. You can dream of where you’ll go while studying the place in advance... a cheap and smart way to ‘extend’ your vacation:
https://www.imray.com/charts/Imray%2...rkey/IB0220-2/

...and if you go to Spartochori, there’s a tavern on top of the island that is worth the hike!

Fair Winds.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:24   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
HI friends, we are a family of 4 (kids aged 9 & 11) and are looking at a bareboat charter around the Ionian Islands (potentially a Lagoon 450F) mid July 2021 (husband is obtaining his RYA Day skipper and I will get my competency) My questions please to the experienced members of this forum - would you recommend 1 or 2 weeks? Also, recommendations for type of cat (we are expecting some friends to join us). Also, any other tips for us would be appreciated.
The Ionian sea is generally quiet, Stay North if you only have a week, a trip down to Levkas only takes about 12 hours, but there is plenty to see near Corfu.
Have a great time
Keith
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:39   #19

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
HI friends, we are a family of 4 (kids aged 9 & 11) and are looking at a bareboat charter around the Ionian Islands (potentially a Lagoon 450F) mid July 2021 (husband is obtaining his RYA Day skipper and I will get my competency) My questions please to the experienced members of this forum - would you recommend 1 or 2 weeks? Also, recommendations for type of cat (we are expecting some friends to join us). Also, any other tips for us would be appreciated.

Depending on where you reside you may not be welcome in Greece because o COVID restrictions. Currently, US residents aren’t welcome.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:06   #20

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
My questions please to the experienced members of this forum - would you recommend 1 or 2 weeks?
I chartered a Jeanneau 46DS from Gouvia Marina in Corfu with some family a few year ago. We spent a week cruising the east coast of Corfu, Paxos, Antipaxos, and the facing mainland coast. We had a great time. A week was just about sufficient to cover this area, moving every night. Two weeks would have been more relaxing and would have allowed us to stay two nights in the nicest places.

As others have said, do consider a monohull. Some of the prettiest harbours in this area get very full, and it's easier for the harbourmaster to assign that last tight berth to a monohull, and tell the catamaran to anchor outside the harbour.
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 05:42   #21

Hi friends, thanks so much for taking the time to respond and being so helpful. We have chartered a cat (lagoon 450F) for 2 weeks from 10th July. I know a monohull is easier for mooring but I really wanted the space (so we will be using the dingy no doubt to get onshore!) My next question - I am trying to find a flotilla that will let us join their group for northern Ionians (every charterer I have approach will only let us join if we charter their yachts). Any recommendations?
Liesaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 14:19   #22

Boat: Looking

Liesaj, could you share some details about your experience: Who did you charter from? Did you get a bareboat charter even though you have just gotten your certificates? Was that a good experience?

I'm now trying to charter a cat for me and my girlfriend from Lefkada or Preveza. We are looking for something different than you were (we want to test-run our idea to buy a cat and live aboard full time) but your experience would be very relevant at this stage of our journey.

You probably don't visit the forum anymore but hopefully you still get emails with responses to your thread.
Freeeeedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 16:32   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeeeedom View Post
Liesaj, could you share some details about your experience: Who did you charter from? Did you get a bareboat charter even though you have just gotten your certificates? Was that a good experience?

I'm now trying to charter a cat for me and my girlfriend from Lefkada or Preveza. We are looking for something different than you were (we want to test-run our idea to buy a cat and live aboard full time) but your experience would be very relevant at this stage of our journey.

You probably don't visit the forum anymore but hopefully you still get emails with responses to your thread.

I’m based in Lefkada pm me and I can help
Old 09-07-2022, 09:44   #24

Thanks, I'm waiting for a response from LateSail. If that doesn't lead to anything, I will pm you.

I tried with Globe Sailor but they said my RYA Day Skipper was not sufficient for bareboat anywhere in Greece and were quite pushy about it (the salesperson I was emailing with suggested that anyone claiming otherwise was a scammer).

I've asked LateSail to confirm that my certificate is sufficient. I will probably hear back after the weekend.

In the meantime, I've ordered the Greek Waters Pilot (there has been a new edition published this year) and some charts - I'm excited like a little boy awaiting Christmas ;-)
Old 09-07-2022, 12:01   #25
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Thanks, I'm waiting for a response from LateSail. If that doesn't lead to anything, I will pm you.

I tried with Globe Sailor but they said my RYA Day Skipper was not sufficient for bareboat anywhere in Greece and were quite pushy about it (the salesperson I was emailing with suggested that anyone claiming otherwise was a scammer).

I've asked LateSail to confirm that my certificate is sufficient. I will probably hear back after the weekend.

In the meantime, I've ordered the Greek Waters Pilot (there has been a new edition published this year) and some charts - I'm excited like a little boy awaiting Christmas ;-)

day skipper allows you to get an ICC without any further testing and most bareboat companies prefer the ICC to the day skipper but under Greek law the day skipper is acceptable.

I know this as my friend who is a newly minted day skipper just finished two weeks bareboating in Lefkada. (He showed the day skipper but they preferred the icc)
Old 10-07-2022, 01:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
day skipper allows you to get an ICC without any further testing and most bareboat companies prefer the ICC to the day skipper but under Greek law the day skipper is acceptable.

That's what I thought. Sadly, due to my citizenship I cannot get ICC so I will have to knock on some more doors.

(RYA will only give you an ICC if you reside in the UK or if your country has not adopted resolution no. 40. I'm a citizen of a country that has adopted this resolution but is not issuing ICC itself.)
Old 11-07-2022, 11:59   #27

pm sent. LateSail responded that they want an ICC or at least RYA Coastal Skipper.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:38   #28

LateSail just clarified that there has been a new regulation introduced this year which makes RYA Day Skipper no longer sufficient. Supposedly there was some loophole in the beginning of the season that now has been patched. I also found a sunsail site which seems to confirm that: https://www.sunsail.co.uk/destinatio...al-information
Quote:
The Greek Maritime Authorities have recently changed their sailing license requirements for 2022 and 2023 and have confirmed that they will no longer accept the RYA Day Skipper qualification for Yacht Chartering in Greek waters.
Conveniently, they also list a lot of possible destinations grouped by difficulty level. The way I see it, there are at least a few options I have now:
* Wait for my radio license from RYA to arrive (hopefully in less than a month) and go to Croatia
* Suffer the torture of an intercontinental flight and go to BVI.
* Choose some other destinations in the Med that Sunsail lists as not so easy, most likely Italy.
* Find some other destination in the Med that's easy although Sunsail is not present there and so doesn't list it on their website, probably Turkey.
Old 13-07-2022, 00:33   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
LateSail just clarified that there has been a new regulation introduced this year which makes RYA Day Skipper no longer sufficient. Supposedly there was some loophole in the beginning of the season that now has been patched. I also found a sunsail site which seems to confirm that: https://www.sunsail.co.uk/destinatio...al-information

Conveniently, they also list a lot of possible destinations grouped by difficulty level. The way I see it, there are at least a few options I have now:
* Wait for my radio license from RYA to arrive (hopefully in less than a month) and go to Croatia
* Suffer the torture of an intercontinental flight and go to BVI.
* Choose some other destinations in the Med that Sunsail lists as not so easy, most likely Italy.
* Find some other destination in the Med that's easy although Sunsail is not present there and so doesn't list it on their website, probably Turkey.

I see this but I cannot find any Greek original site that confirms this.

Tags
bareboat, boat, charter, ionian