Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2019, 21:40   #1

Advice on first bareboat charter - Ionian

Hello CF! I am an aspiring cruiser 30 years of age looking to pick the brains of you more experienced sailors. I am planning a weeklong bareboat charter, my first, with my wife for next summer in the Ionian Sea leaving from either Lefkas or Preveza. She is from western Greece, and we are making the trip to baptize the baby, see the fam, and hopefully go sailing. The Ionian is said to be a relatively easier place to sail, but I’m not taking anything lightly. We do not plan on any night sailing, just 10-20nm from anchorage to anchorage each day. It is very important to me that this trip is enjoyable for her so that we have many more cruising adventures together in the future. Don’t worry about me, I’ll have a stiffy the entire trip. My questions...

Any do’s and don’ts for bareboat chartering in Greece? I am not referring to destinations/itinerary.

I have seen tons websites like click&boat to name one that have an “Airbnb” feel for chartering boats. Would you recommend this or going directly to a charter company? Could you recommend any in the Ionian?

Lastly, any good pointers to help my wife catch the sailing bug on this trip? I want her to love sailing as much as I do.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks. -Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B027F862-44EC-4364-9EE3-D8E799DF6113.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	205745  
JuliettOscarNov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 16:38   #2

Re: Advice on first bareboat charter - Ionian

Jon (yeah, I ready our username),
We chartered in the Northern Ionian in September and it was wonderful. Our overall experience is low, so we hired a captain for the week on the Bavaria 46. We didn't need him for boat handling, but his guidance on ports and attractions was worth the fee. Exchange rates are favorable now, too.
Like you, I wanted my wife to enjoy the trip so I could ensure future trips. I know what she likes and I chose destinations and activities she would enjoy. Do I want to sit on the beach for two hours and watch the surf? No, but she did and it was worth the investment. All motives are selfish.
We chose to book through an American-based company so we would have recourse if something went awry; a cancelled boat, claimed damage, etc. Obviously, if I lived in Greece I would choose a Greece company for the same reason. The company we booked through was Dream Yacht Charters and they met my expectations.
Good luck and have a good time.
Randy
flyairam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, charter, ionian