Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2020, 12:48   #871

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: U.S. too close..

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Do our resident anti-vaxxers realise they won't be going anywhere for quite some time?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/n...23-p56h8j.html

Now this is just the Qantas CEO speaking but why ... in the medium term future... would this requirement not be put in place by national authorities around the world?
No difference between the need for smallpox in the olden days and yellow fever - for many countries - these days.

But but they can't do that!!!!! Oh yes they can.......

And also.... what was the weird ear thing up thread? Wasn't just a different ear lobe... was a different head....

"Families and loved ones have been reunited after five months of border closures along NSW and Victoria."

Separating families and loved ones for five months? Yikes! That seems absolutely inhuman.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 23-11-2020, 12:48   #872

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
People absolutely should read the article. But as I pointed out, the article doesn't identify any fraud. I won't claim that none of the 10,000 names on that list represents an actual fraudulent vote, but even if the 3 out of 31 votes were actually fraudulent (and we already know that they weren't ), that still just scales out to about 1000 fraudulent votes.. AND if all these fraudulent votes were for Biden... it still wouldn't change the results in MI.

None of Trump's crack legal teams, nor the DOJ, nor the FEC, have found a shred of proof of voter fraud, and the courts have laughed them out of the room repeatedly. If these motivated experts still can't show fraud, you and I aren't going to be able to find any. Retain a scrap of dignity, recognize the integrity of the US electoral system and the validity of its results, and let it go, folks.
I suspect your happy lawyers are challenging the election then.
Old 23-11-2020, 12:53   #873

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
"Families and loved ones have been reunited after five months of border closures along NSW and Victoria."

Separating families and loved ones for five months? Yikes! That seems absolutely inhuman.

No one dies from separation and a bit of inconvenience
But lives are certainly saved.
The numbers speak for themselves.
Old 23-11-2020, 13:12   #874

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The US has no real history of sustained political violence , Europe has 1000s of years of blood as it’s peoples excerted it’s will to self determination ( a process that isn’t over yet, in some parts of Europe )
Until about 2-3 hundred years ago, there were pretty much no wars or battles in Europe you could even remotely claim were over self determination (unless it was self determination among various ruling monarchs).

When monarchs were driven from power, it had nothing do with the common man, it was other aristocrats trying to get a bigger piece of the pie.

Even the vaunted French Revolution really had almost nothing to do with the common man but was largely ran by a group of lower tier aristocrats out for themselves.

In modern Europe, the aristocrats have largely been supplanted by a bureaucratic class who play the same game as Rome did...Bread and Circuses.

That's not to say Europe is a horrible place and all the people are unhappy...but the idea they have been fighting for self determination for the people for 1000s of years is laughable.
Old 23-11-2020, 13:13   #875

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
No one dies from separation and a bit of inconvenience
But lives are certainly saved.
The numbers speak for themselves.

Families separated for five months? Love ones? Are you kidding? That is huge damage, and if large numbers of people are affected, there will be deaths, too.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 23-11-2020, 13:16   #876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Lets just say aussies have an reputation in the states.
What is this "reputation"? That they like shrimp cooked on a BBQ grill?
Old 23-11-2020, 13:18   #877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I suspect your happy lawyers are challenging the election then.
... sorry, you've lost me.

I did find this story re election lawyers, but there's not much happiness.
Old 23-11-2020, 13:25   #878

Quote:
Well, there's still lots of parrots, but fewer than last week, anyway...

There's no amount of both-sidesism that will level-out the lopsidedness of the vote-suppression (ID, insufficient polling stations and long lineups, attempted postal restrictions) and now vote-overturning attempts. I'm certain that there are many things to blame Democrats for, but this ain't one.

I don't have to tell you what this all looks like from outside, but maybe it's news to others. Or maybe they simply don't care.

It's probably a long-shot given the US federal/state power arrangement, but a federal bipartisan effort to produce harmonized voting laws, and an arms-length voting commission to administer, might ensure fairness and remove voting as a partisan lever.
You've been watching too much liberal media. You do realize,
- The federal govt doesn't run the elections right?
- Asking for ID isn't "suppression"?
- Polling stations were not eliminated.
- Lines should have been shorter since a large percentage voted early (of course in presidential elections, particularly hotly contested ones, there are always long lines).
- Challenges in close races are common...sure Trump is going a bit over the top but it's really just a side show an no one is taking it seriously.

Don't really care what foreigners think of the process. Pick a country and you can find strange things about their form of govt.

PS: Better than 99% of registered voters have picture ID and they typically have it on them at all times in public. Offers have been made to provide free picture ID to those of limited financial means...of course, those of limited financial means typically get various forms of welfare which do require picture ID.
Old 23-11-2020, 13:36   #879

Quote:
This isn't 1930's Chicago.

Show me proof of significant US voter fraud (voter impersonation, actual ballot shenanigans, whatever), and what races were distorted by it, and I'll stand by your side on the subject of voter ID. We all can see where the post-election shenanigans are currently coming from.
One of the downsides of our elections being run by the state/local govt.

In the case of your example, Chicago dominates Illinois politics to the point that if Chicago "irregularities" are found by an outside source, it's sent to the governor who announces there is no evidence and that's the end of it. It creates a catch 22, with no investigation, there is no evidence and with no evidence, you can't force an investigation....and then it's followed up by research of these non-investigations showing it's not a problem.

The rare examples you find are typically in areas with more balanced political affiliations where a stray person tries something and they are quickly caught because it would quickly come out the next time a different party is in power, so the party in power doesn't risk trying to hide it.
Old 23-11-2020, 13:40   #880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just for a moment, let's assume this data correctly identifies fraudulent voters.

For whom did they vote for?

A. Was it all one side; if so, which side.
B. 50/50.
C. Dunno.

Hint - likely C would be most correct answer.
I don't know if his data is real or total BS but....

In the USA, your vote is secret (unless you choose to tell people, of course, you could lie about it also), so it's not "likely" but a certainty that just looking at the official election results, you will have NO information about who they voted for, only if they voted...which if there is fraud is a perfect cover.
Old 23-11-2020, 13:41   #881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Families separated for five months? Love ones? Are you kidding? That is huge damage, and if large numbers of people are affected, there will be deaths, too.
I have not seen my family since it began
At other times I had not seen my partner for a bit over a year
Skype, phone, email, not a problem.
Mildly inconvenient.

Countless families are separated around the planet, have been since people figured out how to walk, ride horses, sail ships.
And back then, no Skype, phone or email.
Old 23-11-2020, 13:51   #882

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Agreed , more distribution of wealth is undoubtably required, the wealth gap cannot be allowed to continue

The US is a peculiar place a 1st world country with 3rd world levels of poverty

The key to improving the working poor is not necessarily to push up wages which may simply result in industries closing , but to redistribute wealth
I've done enough traveling to call BS on 3rd world poverty in the US. You clearly haven't seen much of the 3rd world. Many places they would consider it a huge improvement in lifestyle to live like our poor.

Also, most 1st world countries have similar issues with poverty for a small percentage of the population. Most of the real poverty (ie homeless and living in the streets) is related to mental health and drug problems. Playing Robin Hood ain't going to solve that.

About the only place I haven't seen this issue is in some of the middle east countries but that's because their poor are not allowed to be citizens and if they have mental or substance abuse issues, they just get shipped home (actual citizens with these issues tend to be locked up out of sight at home).
Old 23-11-2020, 13:58   #883

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
What is this "reputation"? That they like shrimp cooked on a BBQ grill?
One Australian - Murdoch and Newscorpse, FOX and SKY

Quote:
More than 500,000 Australians demand probe into Rupert Murdoch's media empire

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/05/m...hnk/index.html
Old 23-11-2020, 14:02   #884

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
The concept of redistribution is not to take from the advantaged but to get those to pay fairly, as I understand it.
Concept and reality are often wildly different.

Just read an article on how we should tax the wealthy more on Social Security because they are bleeding the system dry (journalists words). And in the interest of "fairness", we should tax the rich more.

Yet, the journalist never considered that:
- A low income earner who averages $1000/month earnings has 90% of his wages replaced with Social Security.
- A higher income earner who averages $11,400/month (max taxable income) typically only gets about 28% replaced.

So the high earner doesn't get even 1/3 as much per dollar put in but he's not paying his fair share?

In the real world the concept of "redistribution" is code for buy votes by taking money from the rich and giving to those you hope will vote for you.
Old 23-11-2020, 14:12   #885
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I don't know if his data is real or total BS but....

In the USA, your vote is secret (unless you choose to tell people, of course, you could lie about it also), so it's not "likely" but a certainty that just looking at the official election results, you will have NO information about who they voted for, only if they voted...which if there is fraud is a perfect cover.
Exactly.

It is interesting the 'voter fraud folk' are only looking at certain states. If they were seriously interested in detecting fraud, they would be looking at all states.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence