Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 06:32   #1636

Re: U.S. to close..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
.....Excerpted from:
“On Liberty” by John Stuart Mill
(Chapter 4 - “Of the Limits to the Authority of Society over the Individual”)

“... every one who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit, and the fact of living in society renders it indispensable that each should be bound to observe a certain line of conduct towards the rest. This conduct consists, first, in.......and secondly, in each person’s bearing his share (to be fixed on some equitable principle) of the labours and sacrifices incurred for defending the society or its members from injury and molestation.....
"Each bearing his share" I suggest is the eternal rub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reall.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	228461  
Old 11-12-2020, 06:59   #1637

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Gord,

I agree with your statement about "up to a point". We just differ on where that point is.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:00   #1638

Boat: Formosa 41

Odd that the “my rights end at your nose” people are promoting their rights end with a needle in my body.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:10   #1639
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Odd that the “my rights end at your nose” people are promoting their rights end with a needle in my body.
You have a point, sort of.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:38   #1640

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You have a point, sort of.

Of course, "us people" are NOT saying that. We're saying people have the right not to take the vaccine, or not wear a mask, or not keep physical distanced. But "us people" also have the right to live our lives without undue risk to contracting Covid-19 from those who choose not to follow public health measures.

It's all about freedom -- and consequences of the choices you make .

As for Florida, here too the majority are in favour of masks. Here's an article from Breitbart -- not exactly a lefty publication:

Poll: Majority of Floridians Believe Masks Should Be Required in Public Statewide
Old 11-12-2020, 13:46   #1641

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s not a measure to protect you. It’s a measure that protects others from you.
This marketing slogan doesn’t even make sense.

The mask ether blocks or it doesn’t.

If it does, wear one if you’re scared
If it doesn’t, false advertising all around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Of course, "us people" are NOT saying that. We're saying people have the right not to take the vaccine, or not wear a mask, or not keep physical distanced. But "us people" also have the right to live our lives without undue risk to contracting Covid-19 from those who choose not to follow public health measures.

It's all about freedom -- and consequences of the choices you make .

As for Florida, here too the majority are in favour of masks. Here's an article from Breitbart -- not exactly a lefty publication:

Poll: Majority of Floridians Believe Masks Should Be Required in Public Statewide
So I should to listen to a LA based media company vs what I see on the ground with my own two eyes....

Also per the polls, no care, thank god we are not a democracy aka mob rule.

**also also, I don’t know a single person called for one of these “polls”. I’d also think all the elections would show polls are AT BEST good for MAYBE entertainment only.
Old 11-12-2020, 13:59   #1642
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
That may be a little simplistic. This reference might help you understand.
https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent
Old 11-12-2020, 14:22   #1643

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
That may be a little simplistic. This reference might help you understand.
https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent
Lol, yeah no, the issue isn’t a lack of “understanding” it’s a lack of logic and freedom in the argument

It actually is that simplistic, blocks or it doesn’t, if it does and you’re scared, wear one, heck double bag it if it makes you feel “safe”

And university of San Fran? I’ll pass on any health opinions coming out of a bum infested diseased failure like SFO
Old 11-12-2020, 14:24   #1644

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
Good try JoeRobertJr, but you can't educate someone who absolutely refuses to learn.

Quote:
So I I’m around to listen to a LA based media company over what I see on the ground with my own two eyes....

Also per the polls, no care, thank god we are not a democracy aka mob rule.
Soooo, since you're happy the majority is not in control with regard to masks, this means you do believe the polls. You just choose to ignore them. Got it.

It's fascinating how many back flips some of you folks do to stay warmly ensconced in your little echo chamber. You claim most people are opposed to masks, so I show you this is false. Then you say, 'not in my back yard,' so I show you this too is false. So finally all you do is dismiss all external information, claiming that despite all actual data to the contrary, "you know best."

As I say, you can't educate someone who absolutely refuses to learn.
Old 11-12-2020, 14:35   #1645

Quote:
Good try JoeRobertJr, but you can't educate someone who absolutely refuses to learn.

Soooo, since you're happy the majority is not in control with regard to masks, this means you do believe the polls. You just choose to ignore them. Got it.

It's fascinating how many back flips some of you folks do to stay warmly ensconced in your little echo chamber. You claim most people are opposed to masks, so I show you this is false. Then you say, 'not in my back yard,' so I show you this too is false. So finally all you do is dismiss all external information, claiming that despite all actual data to the contrary, "you know best."

It blocks or it doesn’t. That’s that.

The majority is not in control, it’s not a democracy or mob rule, it’s a constitutional republic, same way we couldn’t say no Jews can worship even if the majority decided they wrongly were for banning such a thing.

And I don’t believe the polls because they are wrong sooo often (Hilary by a landslide, or how they show the opposite of what I see on the ground all over FL, wasn’t FL also sposed to almost turn blue by the polls?).

Again I trust my eyes over a internet article, sorry.
Maybe that’s a “eco chamber” I just call it common sense

If the “polls” and “studies” told you to jump off a cliff, would you??
Old 11-12-2020, 14:36   #1646
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Lol, yeah no, the issue isn’t a lack of “understanding” it’s a lack of logic and freedom in the argument

It actually is that simplistic, blocks or it doesn’t, if it does and you’re scared, wear one, heck double bag it if it makes you feel “safe”

And university of San Fran? I’ll pass on any health opinions coming out of a bum infested diseased failure like SFO
That's OK. I did not post that for you. You have already clearly shown you only want to transmit on this subject, and that your personal freedoms are more important to you than how your actions might impact others around you.
That link might help others. It has some great info like
  • Why did the CDC change its guidance on wearing masks?
  • What evidence do we have that wearing a mask is effective in preventing COVID-19?
  • Do masks protect the people wearing them or the people around them?
  • How many people need to wear masks to reduce community transmission?
  • If we’re practicing social distancing, do we still need to wear masks?
For those who are looking for more data, there are links included.
Old 11-12-2020, 14:43   #1647

Quote:

We should cut SS some slack. Trump lost the election, and they're both working through the grieving process.

I do agree with SS that polls are less than useless. In fact I think they're harmful to the whole process. And they've been somewhat out to lunch for the past two US elections. There's only one poll that counts. (But it DOES count, and it's for all the marbles, no matter how hard one pretends to see fraud that wasn't there)
Old 11-12-2020, 14:55   #1648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
We should cut SS some slack. Trump lost the election, and they're both working through the grieving process.

I do agree with SS that polls are less than useless. In fact I think they're harmful to the whole process. And they've been somewhat out to lunch for the past two US elections. There's only one poll that counts. (But it DOES count, and it's for all the marbles, no matter how hard one pretends to see fraud that wasn't there)

Sorry to burst the bubble, though I am someone who votes on policy over who I’d like to go camping with, trump was a better choice on a freedom and economy standpoint, he had his issues and I don’t have one bit of trump swag, nor did I find him, or anyone in government, to be the Jesus figure some would.

The funny thing with the “polls” and “studies” and the media industry, they remind me of a story a few years back.

Some prankster would call fast food joints, claim to be some authority figure, the managers would take some female worker in the back and order her to strip, because some voice they thought knew better than they do said so, the female would, in dog like obedience, strip down because someone who was her manager told her to, even though none of this made a bit of logical sense.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stri...hone_call_scam

Folks need to trust their eyes and use common sense.
Like your mom said, would you jump off a cliff if the others did/told you to? Back then it was a “well obviously not mom”, now it’s “I’m not jumping off the cliff for me, I’m doing it for you...hey hunny toss the infant over first, it’ll make it easier when you jump”
Old 11-12-2020, 15:10   #1649

Just evolution at work, and nothing said it would be pretty to watch or be around, but logically makes sense why it's so. When civilization was groups of a few thousand, having the outliers ultimately ensured survival; nowadays with a surplus of people species survival is assured anyway...but the outliers are wired to not see things like others, withstanding insurmountable evidence. They just invent reasons [i.e. their own sense of logic] invariably based on emotional instinct to go their own way, even when the rest of us have to pay for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belief.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	228479  
Old 11-12-2020, 16:04   #1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Just evolution at work, and nothing said it would be pretty to watch or be around, but logically makes sense why it's so. When civilization was groups of a few thousand, having the outliers ultimately ensured survival; nowadays with a surplus of people species survival is assured anyway...but the outliers are wired to not see things like others, withstanding insurmountable evidence. They just invent reasons [i.e. their own sense of logic] invariably based on emotional instinct to go their own way, even when the rest of us have to pay for them.

Yeah, except I make up my own mind, based off my own experiences, not what others say is right and require you to take like gospel.

Perfect, so all the people who make the world run, like politicians, college professors. scientists who never made it outside of government, big tech types, Starbucks baristas, etc, they can all wear their masks and have their utopia once the rest of us die off from this .01% death rate virus. Have the masked self proclaimed intellectuals stay inside, it’ll only take “2 weeks” for the rest of us to die right?

I’ll roll those dice.

Remember, I’m not exercising my freedoms for me, I’m exercising my freedoms for you!