Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2021, 16:46   #271

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Covid vaccine after having covid

[QUOTE=Greg K;3426459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Cruisers are used to going our ways; sailing against the wind, to force an analogy . But we also accept responsibility for our actions, and don't expect the rest of society to come bail us out if things go sideways.

QUOTE]

Really? Another analogy that falls apart when faced with reality. I wonder how many off shore cruisers here (other than myself currently) DO NOT carry an Epirb so that they can pull it and ask society to come and save their sorry asses?

So... You're argument is that people shouldn't take responsibility for their actions? Well, I guess that is consistent with the perspective you've promulgated here.

No EPIRB here. Never have.
Old 14-06-2021, 16:59   #272

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

[QUOTE=Mike OReilly;3426464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post

So... You're argument is that people shouldn't take responsibility for their actions? Well, I guess that is consistent with the perspective you've promulgated here.

No EPIRB here. Never have.
No, my point is that you make analogies that aren't grounded in reality
Old 14-06-2021, 17:19   #273

Novavax, a small American company buoyed by lavish support from the U.S. government, announced on Monday the results of a clinical trial of its Covid-19 vaccine in the United States and Mexico, finding that its two-shot inoculation provides potent protection against the coronavirus.

In Novax's 29,960-person trial, the vaccine demonstrated an overall efficacy of 90.4 percent, on par with the vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, and higher than the one-shot vaccine from Johnson & Johnson. The Novavax vaccine showed an efficacy of 100 percent at preventing moderate or severe disease.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/no...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 14-06-2021, 17:30   #274

Quote:
No, my point is that you make analogies that aren't grounded in reality
The analogies are only there to assist. The main points stand on their own .

With regard to the legalities around tying employment to vaccination status, I too thought this was already litigated in the US courts. I think it's still an untested area in Canadian law, although some workplaces, especially in the healthcare arenas, do require it. And we've long barred unvaccinated children from schools during outbreaks of other diseases. So there is some legal precedent.

I do hope employers give employees an option to show proof of vaccine, or proof of previous Covid-19 infection. I've seen at least one study which suggests prior infection may be as good as the vaccine. Although I've also seen others which show natural immunity isn't as effective. The research is evolving, but I'd rather err on the side of freedom as long as the evidence remains supportive.
Old 15-06-2021, 14:51   #275

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

https://www.n-tv.de/panorama/Ruecksc...e22621448.html

AstraZeneca ADZ7442 medication efficacy statistically not significant (only 30%) - a new study shows. 700.000 doses ordered by US Gov.
Old 15-06-2021, 15:00   #276

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
https://www.n-tv.de/panorama/Ruecksc...e22621448.html

AstraZeneca ADZ7442 medication efficacy statistically not significant (only 30%) - a new study shows. 700.000 doses ordered by US Gov.
all the suffering for nothing
Old 15-06-2021, 15:06   #277

You do realize this Astrazenca news is not in reference to their Covid-19 vaccine, right?

If anything, this reinforces the value of getting vaccinated.
Old 15-06-2021, 20:17   #278

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
Well yes, choices have consequences. But choice, the ability to choose freely, must absolutely remain part of our way of life. And there's the catch, this is less and less the case, as the consequences of not being vaccinated look more and more like: don't leave your home. Potentially imposed by a majority on a minority as a result of a mis-classification of risk, as we now strive to remove all risks in life.

So yeah, if this is how it is going to be, I am not sure I want to be a part of the majority. Prefer to meditate at home, then be plumbed into a vaccination machine inviting me to show up for my next fix every six months or so. I will retain my right to choose and I understand there may be well be consequences. Doesn't make me an anti vaxxer and doesn't make me a conspiracy theorist.

Small request though while I sit at home, meditating: maybe those who have followed the science and got the vaccine can also follow the science on climate change and make a similar personal contribution for the greater good to turn this situation around too? Just like with covid.
Funny how many of the ones deciding not to get the vaccine are also the ones denying climate change....
Old 15-06-2021, 21:17   #279

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Old 16-06-2021, 02:59   #280

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrinus View Post
Funny how many of the ones deciding not to get the vaccine are also the ones denying climate change....
And how the only thing the vast herd of intellectual zombies are critical of are the people who are actually still capable of critical thinking.
Old 16-06-2021, 04:55   #281

Quote:
And how the only thing the vast herd of intellectual zombies are critical of are the people who are actually still capable of critical thinking.
As long as the vaccines are readily available to everyone who wants one - especially minorities and the working poor -oops, "essential workers" - and developing nations who will have trouble affording them, I am quite willing to stop annoying the antivaxxers and others who don't want to be vaccinated. At that point, the risk will be mostly theirs. Already, 99% of those currently hospitalized in the first world with COVID are the unvaccinated. I'm sure all you critical thinkers will have many interesting conversations in hospital, as long as you're not intubated.
Old 16-06-2021, 05:10   #282

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Could it be because the vast heard actually understand and follow science? Perhaps those who have been misled by baseless conspiracy theories could be the zombies, possible?

Let's everyone take note that when with no factual argument exist to back up a position, ad hominem insults begin.

Okay, got to go. The weekly zoom meeting of the cabel of satanists rurning the country is going to start in a minute. I miss the in-person meetings, they used to serve really good cake.
Old 16-06-2021, 08:10   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
Could it be because the vast heard actually understand and follow science? Perhaps those who have been misled by baseless conspiracy theories could be the zombies, possible?

Let's everyone take note that when with no factual argument exist to back up a position, ad hominem insults begin.

Okay, got to go. The weekly zoom meeting of the cabel of satanists rurning the country is going to start in a minute. I miss the in-person meetings, they used to serve really good cake.

Old 16-06-2021, 08:23   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
As long as the vaccines are readily available to everyone who wants one - especially minorities and the working poor -oops, "essential workers" - and developing nations who will have trouble affording them, I am quite willing to stop annoying the antivaxxers and others who don't want to be vaccinated. At that point, the risk will be mostly theirs. Already, 99% of those currently hospitalized in the first world with COVID are the unvaccinated. I'm sure all you critical thinkers will have many interesting conversations in hospital, as long as you're not intubated.
Indeed, we're starting to see this correlation in areas with low vaccine uptake and higher infection rates. One could easily take a Darwinian perspective on this, but I'd rather see everyone protected.
Old 16-06-2021, 09:46   #285

People hospitalized with COVID-19 now have one overwhelming thing in common. They're not vaccinated.

In Minnesota, the HealthPartners system has seen a “precipitous decline” in COVID-19 hospitalizations, says Dr. Mark Sannes, an infectious disease physician and senior medical director for the system, which operates nine hospitals and more than 55 clinics. But now, nearly every admitted patient he does see is unvaccinated.

“Less than 1% of our hospitalized COVID patients are vaccinated," he said.

In Ohio, at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, only 2% of the COVID-19 patients admitted in the last month were vaccinated, said Dr. Robert Salata, the hospital's physician-in-chief.

And at Sanford Health, which runs 44 medical centers and more than 200 clinics across the Dakotas, Minnesota and Iowa, less than 5% of the 1,456 patients admitted with COVID-19 so far this year were fully vaccinated.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-ho...100140919.html