Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 21-07-2020, 18:04   #376

Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Okay, so Joshua Slocum did not have to deal with Covid-19, but I spotted an excellent video regarding him, part of The Canadians series. Thought some of you mind enjoy the story.

Old 21-07-2020, 18:51   #377

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
Some peoples attitude towards cruisers in these covid 19 times is going to get innocent people killed.

It has been reported today on FB that a Canadian couple "Jason & Cloee Cruising" had been cruising in the vicinity of Prince Edward Island and picked up a crab pot on the shaft of one of their engines. They made for a nearby harbor (not named) where they were kicked out at night, with the engine still disabled, by harbor security. Prior to docking no - one could be reached by radio and since it was late the couple assumed they could deal with the rope the following morning.

The interaction with harbor security was recorded on video and threats were made that RCMP would be summoned if they did not leave immediately, regardless of mechanical problems.

They then had a harrowing time entering the only other nearby harbor in the dark with opposing current and large waves on 1 good engine with constant danger of broaching.

If it had been me I would have declared an emergency and the hell with harbor security. Things could have gone very badly for them if there had been 1 more weak link in the chain....
That sounds interesting, since I'm from PEI. Can you post a link to the story?

It's not very seaman like, or very "island like", to kick them out at night, with a pot on their prop.

Though I can't imagine why they couldn't get someone from the Coast Guard on the VHF, the coverage is pretty good there. I wonder, as I always do, about facebook reporting, and Fake news, and how they're often related.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 21-07-2020, 19:33   #378

This is the link to the Facebook post https://www.facebook.com/70227217326...1235341701201/
Old 21-07-2020, 19:40   #379

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
This is the link to the Facebook post https://www.facebook.com/70227217326...1235341701201/
I think they should have stayed put and waited for the RCMP and just claimed "safe harbour", tell that "Karen" to...
Old 21-07-2020, 19:51   #380

Thanks for the link.

Well, that's not night time, I'm sure he could have dived on the prop and cleared the line, before dark.

And PEI is not a free for all, even within the bubble. You must apply for, and receive a travel document, and have proof that you've been within the "bubble" for the last 14 days BEFORE arriving in PEI. It's easy to get, as I just got one, online, today, and had applied yesterday. Though we're actually residents, so it's almost a given that we'll get it.

It doesn't sound like they had a travel document. Keep in mind, PEI has had only 36 cases of COVID 19, and want to keep it that way. There are rules in place, for everyone.

It's incumbent on us cruisers to research the laws and rules of the places we intend to visit. I'd say they didn't do that very well. They really should have known; it is all over the news, and others have been turned away from PEI, for not following the rules.

"Safe harbour" is not so you can fix your boat tomorrow, it's so you can fix it as soon as possible. It's to protect life and limb.

When you visit a place, you follow their rules. I'd love to hear you cry "safe harbour" to one of those gunboats that run around the ports in the USA. See how far that'll get you.

Also, looking at it from the person ashore's point of view. Sometimes people lie about their situation, so they can bend the rules. I'd be suspicious too. And why not fix the boat right away? We're they planning an "early departure", like before they would have to pay for their stay?

If they had a USA flag on the boat, with the situation down there, folks up here are understandably nervous. The same goes in Ontario. Listen to Mr Ford talk about keeping the borders closed...

Edit: I see they're from Quebec, which is as bad as the USA, with COVID. I know now that they had no excuse at all, not to get a permit. Anyone who travels, and is from the East coast of Canada, knows about the whole bubble situation, and about people being turned away from PEI for not having pre-approval to visit.

I may be stretching things a little, but I'd guess they thought they'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 21-07-2020, 20:00   #381

How do you know he is equipped to dive on the boat in the evening ?

How do you suppose an airplane gets to land on a military base ? They have to say the magic word. Mayday, mayday. Like what happened when Voyager developed a coolant leak on a ferry flight and had to land at Edwards.

Regardless, they could have lost the boat or worse in making the next move. It was not the right decision to leave, he was intimidated. Period.
Old 21-07-2020, 20:07   #382

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Thanks for the link.

If they had a USA flag on the boat, with the situation down there, folks up here are understandably nervous. The same goes in Ontario. Listen to Mr Ford talk about keeping the borders closed...

Cheers.
Paul.
Why would they have completed that form in advance if they weren't planning on entering P.E.I except for an emergency... lets see: have mechanical failure...hold on, let me go online and get pre-approval for everything....

I'd still be more than willing to wait for the RCMP as it sounds like they mad evidence of the mechanical issue.

And Mr. Ford is talking about the U.S. border being closed not the Ontario/Quebec border which is open.
Old 21-07-2020, 20:20   #383

If you look at his facebook postings he was in Charlottetown 3 days prior perfectly legally.

In a seperate posting on July 8 he says:

"Our confinement to the boat after entering Canada is almost over. We did take the opportunity to get some drone footage from our vessel and some pictures of vessels passing by. Be careful in Yarmouth regarding the active captain anchoring spot. It's on ground at low tide. The best place would be were we are pictured. That little fish at the end had a big appetite!"

The visit to Charlottetown is on the 18th, a further 10 days later, then the incident yesterday July 20. Seems like more than enough time has passed to meet quarantine requirements.
Old 21-07-2020, 20:36   #384

Yes, more than enough time. But I didn't hear them say, or prove that this was the case. I'm sure the dockmaster hasn't read their facebook page.

If they were in Charlottetown, legally, previous to this episode, then I'd agree, they were admitted to the island, and should have been ok. I don't have facebook, so I'll take your word for the fact that they were there. I don't know how you know they were there legally, so I'll reserve judgement on that, for now.

If they had a travel document from Health PEI, that may have helped the situation.

Westcliff: That doesn't look like a night dive to me. And had he called a panpan, he'd have likely gotten a better reception. But, from the dockmaster's view, he just snuck into port. The video said they called on their cell phones, they don't mention the vhf.

PCMM, if they weren't planning to be in PEI, they wouldn't be there. The Nova Scotia coast is rife with inlets, and you wouldn't be on the North side of the Straight if you weren't intending to go to PEI.

I think if he really thought his life was in danger, he'd have either fixed the issue before leaving, or waited for the RCMP.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 22-07-2020, 06:31   #385
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I'd like someone to explain to me how a transient boat with prop damage,
..... anchored in the bay away from the locals, .... Poses a threat to quarantine protocols?
Old 22-07-2020, 06:46   #386

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I'd like someone to explain to me how a transient boat with prop damage,
..... anchored in the bay away from the locals, .... Poses a threat to quarantine protocols?
It doesn't. The real threat to the well-being of the general public would appear to be on the dock driving around in a white car.
Old 22-07-2020, 07:30   #387

They weren't "anchored in the bay, away from the locals"; they really should have anchored. That would have been much less likely to draw ire. They surreptitiously (by the harbourmaster's view) tied to a pier, with easy access to shore. If you can't get hold of the harbourmaster, dockmaster, or whomever controles the docks, before landing. You sure as heck should get out of your boat right away, after landing, and find whomever you should pay for the privilege.

Prop damage is inaccurate. They had a line wrapped around the prop, or so they claimed. How's the harbourmaster to know?

I know a few people working in the marine industry, and it's surprising the stories they tell of folks lying to get free dockage, or bend the local rules. Shocking, I know. I'm sure it's never happened that a boat from Quebec has tried to get free dockage, so I can't imagine why anyone would think this could happen. However, the stories persist; that boaters, under all flags, can be "fib tellers" when it comes to dockage, or fresh water, or garbage disposal.

I, for one, have never disposed of garbage in a yachtclub skip, without permission. (I don't know which mischievous smiley face would suite that statement) I know none of you have either.

Anchoring seems to be a lost art. I can't count the number of times I've been questioned, as to why I'm anchoring when there's a perfectly good set of moorings, or docks, closer to town.

From the video, it would seem that the woman driving the white car was the messenger, not the harbourmaster. Don't shoot the messenger.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 22-07-2020, 08:54   #388
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Confirmed infections in the U.S. have now reached nearly 3.5 million, with 138,500 deaths, while Canada by contrast has close to 108,105 cases and under 8,790 deaths.

The population of the USA is nine times that of Canada.

So if one was to multiply Canada by nine one would have 973,000 cases and 79,100 deaths.

Cases per million Deaths per million Tests per million
Canada 2,865 233 86,287
USA 10,855 419 131,308

Canada's mortality rate to positive Covid cases ratio seems comparatively quite high at 8.1% versus 3.8%, and the USA has a considerably higher testing of its population, 13% versus 8.6%

Statistics,
There was a good article released a few weeks back on this, basically our universal 'free' healthcare does a really good job at allowing patients to cope with chronic illness. These people are especially susceptible to COVID and in other counties where healthcare is not universally available they simply succumb to their illness early on. This leaves a higher percentage of our population with pre-existing conditions and more susceptible to COVID complications.
Old 22-07-2020, 09:59   #389

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
From the video, it would seem that the woman driving the white car was the messenger, not the harbourmaster. Don't shoot the messenger.
The woman driving the white car was likely harbor security, she arrived on the scene, obviously, with an attitude. She refused to listen to any reason and instead threatened to call the mounties.

If somebody is going to send a messenger, then send one that grew a brain at some point in history. Cruisers have been familiar with quarantine requirements until checked in, pandemic or no, for years. The messenger obviously didn't have a single clue. Instead of running her mouth and making threats she could've offered to help contact the harbor master for assistance.

Regardless of the "virus going on" it's not safe to leave the dock with a prop fouled because it seriously affects steerage on a twin-screw boat.
Old 22-07-2020, 11:43   #390

Transport Canada to ban some pleasure craft from Arctic waters
May 14, 2020

Transport Canada is banning certain pleasure craft from operating in Arctic waters in an effort "to better protect Arctic communities," a release from the government department sent Thursday reads.

The ban, which comes into effect June 1, exempts craft used by local residents and those used for essential transportation, subsistence hunting, or the exercise of treaty rights.

International craft "exercising their right of innocent passage" will also be exempted, though they will be required to notify the Minister of Transport 60 days in advance of arriving in Arctic waters.

All other pleasure craft will be prohibited from operating north of the 60th parallel or in the coastal areas of northern Quebec and Labrador until at least October 31, 2020.

Transport Canada defines pleasure craft as "a boat, a ship, or any other water craft that is used exclusively for pleasure and does not carry passengers or goods for payment."

"Canoes, kayaks, sailboats and motorboats are also included in this definition," the release reads.

Individual violators could be fined $5,000 per day, and corporations could face fines of up to $25,000 per day.

The release says the intention of the ban is to minimize "any potential interaction with remote and vulnerable coastal communities" during the pandemic. It also says it will allow the Canadian Coast Guard to "focus on essential operations."

This new ban builds on one prohibiting cruise ships from travelling through Arctic waters, announced March 13.