Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 14:56   #286

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Canadian boating - Great Lakes and Atlantic region

Got to work on my boat for the first time today. Our YC is using a three day rotating schedule. The first two days were lovely weather and today it was drizzle all day. Repainted some rusty bits on the engine and did some hull cleaning. Get to go again on Thursday which should be a nice day. Felt good.
Old 18-05-2020, 18:29   #287

It appears the USA Canada border will remain closed for non-essential travel through June.

"Those restrictions do expire here on the 21st of May. We will likely look at expanding those restrictions, as the country continues to be a phased opening approach, state-by-state, governor-by-governor, so we're taking a look at that as well," acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf told reporters last week.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also suggested last week that the US-Canada border would likely remain closed through June. The agreement as it stands forbids any non-essential travel, although commercial traffic continues.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/polit...rus/index.html
Old 18-05-2020, 19:42   #288

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Got to work on my boat for the first time today. Our YC is using a three day rotating schedule. The first two days were lovely weather and today it was drizzle all day. Repainted some rusty bits on the engine and did some hull cleaning. Get to go again on Thursday which should be a nice day. Felt good.

Happy for you ... jealous as all heck, but happy for you .
Old 19-05-2020, 08:04   #289

Boat: Beneteau 361

Went to prep my boat last Sat May 16 as soon as the marina re-opened. Was able to book launch on the 28th due to backlog, even though they are working 7 days a week now.
Old 19-05-2020, 14:09   #290

Calling the border with the United States a clear point of "vulnerability" for Canada in terms of Covid-19 infections, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Tuesday that by mutual agreement, the US / Canadian border will remain closed to nonessential travel until at least June 21.
Trudeau did not rule out a further extension of the border closure. The US-Canada border has been closed since March 21.
"It was the right thing to further extend by 30 days our closure of the Canada, US border to travelers other than essential services and goods, but we will continue to watch carefully what's happening elsewhere in the world and around us as we make decisions on next steps," Trudeau said during his daily press conference in Ottawa.
Even if the border does reopen to nonessential travel, Trudeau repeated that stronger measures may be put in place, such as requiring quarantine, medical checks and tracking for those entering Canada, including those from the US.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...rus/index.html
Old 19-05-2020, 14:47   #291

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarantined View Post
I have a mildly related question to this.
What is the cell-coverage like for the Erie Canal system? If I can be available remotely for the majority of the trip from Champlain to Erie, I won't have to waste as much PTO.
Most of Lake Champlain should provide good coverage.

The section of the Erie Canal from Albany to Utica pretty much parallels the NY State Thruway (Interstate 90) so there is good coverage along that part.

From Three Rivers to Tonowanda (western Erie Canal) the coverage was good 6 years ago, I doubt it got worse. Again a lot of the canal is within a few miles of I90.

There may be a few isolated spots where coverage is poor, for the most part there should not be a problem.
Old 20-05-2020, 18:32   #292

Meanwhile in Canada:

Old 29-05-2020, 10:42   #293

Well...my boat was launched one week ahead of schedule, and with unseasonably hot weather this week I was able to spend a few days out on the Bay. Incredibly the water was warm enough to swim at 24C (75F), but the mosquitoes are horrible!
There was very little boat traffic and even the most popular anchorages were empty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2794.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	216112   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2798.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	216113  

Name:	DSCF2800.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	216114   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2807.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	216115  

Name:	DSCF2809.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	216116  
Old 29-05-2020, 10:49   #294

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalashn View Post
Well...my boat was launched one week ahead of schedule, and with unseasonably hot weather this week I was able to spend a few days out on the Bay. Incredibly the water was warm enough to swim at 24C (75F), but the mosquitoes are horrible!
There was very little boat traffic and even the most popular anchorages were empty.
So great!! Are marinas open for pump out etc or beating transients off with sticks and brooms?
Old 29-05-2020, 10:59   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
So great!! Are marinas open for pump out etc or beating transients off with sticks and brooms?
Our service dock is operating as usual.
Old 29-05-2020, 11:02   #296

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Our service dock is operating as usual.
That seems to be hit and miss. People report that north channel marinas are not accepting transients? So not sure about our plans to cruise there this summer... can anyone weigh in on that?
Old 29-05-2020, 11:06   #297

Quote:
Thanks very much for the post and pictures. That must have been great... except for the bugs. My wife is especially 'bugged' by blackflies and skeeters, so no spring cruises together.

Still, about this time last year I was guest crew on a CS36 for about 5 days roaming around eastern L Ontario, viewing the high waters especially in NY.

-sigh-

Anyway, our little boat is almost ready to launch off of its trailer... just waiting for the green light from our yacht club to use our slip.
Old 29-05-2020, 11:47   #298

Boat: Mirage 35

Just checked with Gananoque Municipal Marina (Lake Ontario / Thousand Islands), where we like to stop while moving the boat spring and fall.

They're open to transients as of today.
Old 29-05-2020, 12:47   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
That seems to be hit and miss. People report that north channel marinas are not accepting transients? So not sure about our plans to cruise there this summer... can anyone weigh in on that?
I hope this madness would subside by July-August when North Channel is best enjoyed...but even if not I think services like water and pumpouts should be available, even if you cannot stay in the marina. We are definitely going this year.
Old 29-05-2020, 13:57   #300

Boat: Heritage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Happy for you ... jealous as all heck, but happy for you .
Come on Mikie tell the truth. Your not really happy. The jealous part ok but really Happy? I probably won't get to our boat this year so beyond jealous. If I knew where Aeni (I know that's not the correct spelling) I might volunteer to go paint the bottom! Stay Well Stay safe Rum is good for the depression!

Tags
boat, boating, great lakes