Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2020, 06:33   #1

New LiFePO4 system

Im in the planning stage of change out my Victron GEL bank of 495Ah to a LiFEPO4 bank.
I am looking at 12 pcs of CALB cells of 180Ah to be connected in a 3P4S config with a total capacity of 540Ah.
Today I use the Sterling AB1280 between my alternator (Hitachi 80A) and the house bank.
I have a separate lead acid start battery of 80A.

I also have a separate AGM battery (100Ah) for the bowthruster and this is charged from the housebank with a BB (DC-DC) Pro charger 20A from sterling.

If to choose from installing an external alternator regulator (Balmar 614) to charge the new LiFEPO4 battery bank or keep the internal alternator regulator as it is and use a DC-DC charger from the start battery to the LiFePO4 bank?
My battery charger when on shorepower is the Victron Multiplus charger (1600VA inverter with max 70A charge)
Also looking to install the REC Active BMS to the system or any similar BMS.
I have the Victron BMV-700 shunt today, then I may not need to have the shunt from REC ABMS as well?

There is also a Solarpanel connected today through a MaxPower regulator (Naps), do not know have to include that into the new system?

Any suggestion to get a good a safe installation is very welcome.
Aventyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:17   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: New LiFePO4 system

I kept my 80amp alternator and used a Sterling Battery to Battery charger BB1260. The unit was pathetic compared to my old Sterling Alternator to Battery charger. It would get stupidly hot from the start, and drop incoming current to about 30 amps, then down to 10amps then back up to 30amps. It doesn't have alternator temp sensing wires either. The A2B chargers was far superior but unfortunately wasn't as customisable as the BB1260.

If going the B2B route, better to get the Victron Orion Smart units instead.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifepo4