Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2023, 09:02   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Look at This Lithium Charge Rate!

I have to say coming from lead this is pretty incredible.

This is a 400AH LiFePO4 bank. Brand is AmpereTime.

it has been very cloudy and rainy and I only have half my solar hooked up. I’m about to hook the rest up right now because the weather dictates it

so, I have a battery charger running off of one of my generators. I also just had the sun come out at the same time for half of my solar charging capability added to the AC battery charger.

Look at this!

This 400ah bank is accepting almost 100A of charging right now.

INCREDIBLY efficient charging from a generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1134F14B-6760-4C43-AFEA-1FA2A1485E30.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	282450  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 09:08   #2

Re: Look at This Lithium Charge Rate!

It’s a pair of these:

https://www.amperetime.com/products/...ifepo4-battery
Old 22-10-2023, 09:21   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Not that impressive really. Even at the bottom of their recommend charge rate they would take 80. I could put 150 into my old Firefly and know I have also done that with my 400ah cheap LFP
Old 22-10-2023, 09:54   #4

Are you really surprised? Or just showing us confirmation of the ability of LFP to charge at high rates? If the former, I'd be surprised...at you. Since that's one of the basically inherent advantages of LFP to begin with, of course.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 09:55   #5

It’s confirmation for lead people.

I never get to see these charge rates because I am on solar charging slowly. I get about 30A on solar with half my panels hooked up, floating by noon.

It’s just kind of cool. Sorry to disturb everyone. Didn’t expect negativity but probably should have known better. Thought people might like it.

Mods, feel free to delete the post if you like.
Old 22-10-2023, 10:11   #6

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

I never get to see these charge rates because I am on solar charging slowly. I get about 30A on solar with half my panels hooked up, floating by noon.

It’s just kind of cool. Sorry to disturb everyone. Didn’t expect negativity but probably should have known better. Thought people might like it.

Nope always good to see what products work under what conditions and what the results are
Old 22-10-2023, 10:38   #7

Quote:

Aw, c'mon, I did include the to indicate I was kidding and even gave you a choice, just for those of them who don't know you.

Yes it's true! Charging rates are incredible compared to lead. Thx for the confirmation.

And continued good luck with your stick.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 12:07   #8

I can routinely while underway have my depleted 1300 Ah. LA battery bank accept 450 Amps (C of 0.34) for about an hour. It does cost me, through the electrolysis of the water about 25 cents worth of distilled water, some battery life and a bit of heat, but it reduces the stratification of the electrolyte which is a good thing.

What I can't do that you possibly can, is charge your 400Ah LFP bank until it's 98% +/- charged with 400 or more Amps. That's the real charge benefit of LFP. The question is where are you going to get this 400 Amps from? Not the Honda, nor likely solar.
Putt-Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 12:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
I can routinely while underway have my depleted 1300 Ah. LA battery bank accept 450 Amps (C of 0.34) for about an hour. It does cost me, through the electrolysis of the water about 25 cents worth of distilled water, some battery life and a bit of heat, but it reduces the stratification of the electrolyte which is a good thing.

What I can't do that you possibly can, is charge your 400Ah LFP bank until it's 98% +/- charged with 400 or more Amps. That's the real charge benefit of LFP. The question is where are you going to get this 400 Amps from? Not the Honda, nor likely solar.

That was pretty much the idea. Did you see the bar graph on the battery monitor? It’s at 80% full and still taking 100A on a 400AH bank.
Old 22-10-2023, 12:26   #10

Yes, I saw the graph. Are you aware that at 80% full, a LA bank will also quite easily accept a charge rate of C 0.25?

Where the LFP shines is at a C of 2 up to 98%.
Putt-Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 12:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
Yes, I saw the graph. Are you aware that at 80% full, a LA bank will also quite easily accept a charge rate of C 0.25?

Where the LFP shines is at a C of 2 up to 98%.
Apparently I was not. I have never seen my lead batteries take this type of charge at 80%

So it’s whatever. I hate this thread. Please just delete it. I’m not looking at it anymore.

Not interested in all the nitpicking. Pretty sorry that I shared anything.

Putting this entire thread on ignore

Request the moderators delete my thread please.
Old 23-10-2023, 15:02   #12

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
I have to say coming from lead this is pretty incredible.

This is a 400AH LiFePO4 bank. Brand is AmpereTime.

it has been very cloudy and rainy and I only have half my solar hooked up. I’m about to hook the rest up right now because the weather dictates it

so, I have a battery charger running off of one of my generators. I also just had the sun come out at the same time for half of my solar charging capability added to the AC battery charger.

Look at this!

This 400ah bank is accepting almost 100A of charging right now.

INCREDIBLY efficient charging from a generator.
It will accept up to 200A till 98% SOC., limit is BMS as cells can do more.
With LFP you will never hit the charge limit unless you have a very small bank. Even the cheapest LFP will achieve that.
The beauty is because till 98% you basically just need 14V and throw at it everything you have, you don't need charge phases or this absorption float BS and other complex stuff. Yes you may loose 2% capacity but gain lifespan especially with dropins as getting the float right and not overcharge is a challenge with dropins and not worth the risks.
A buddy of mine is charging his LFP with 14V constant power supply that shuts off when current reaches 1A and they have after 17years still 94% of their original capacity, so cannot be that wrong...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2023, 22:28   #13

Boat: Privilege 435

The LFPs take juice so well, I almost forgot that I was going to exceed the ampacity of the cables. Had to set a max limit set on the wakespeeds with a shunt at the bats until I find some time to upgrade the cables. Going to be such a pain…
Old 24-10-2023, 00:03   #14

Quote:
Apparently I was not. I have never seen my lead batteries take this type of charge at 80%

So it’s whatever. I hate this thread. Please just delete it. I’m not looking at it anymore.

Not interested in all the nitpicking. Pretty sorry that I shared anything.

Putting this entire thread on ignore

Request the moderators delete my thread please.
Don't be sorry, I share your joy

Full time on the hook lifepo4 changed my life.
Not so much the huge amounts of charge they will take but they just keep sucking it up all the way to the top.
Just did 6 day goose winged passage south with sails usually between sun and panels so soc crept down every day, with lead acid I'd be freaking out to get them fully charged quick as possible again, lifepo4 no problem,anchor windlass loves the voltage even discharged. Cloudy day every time the sun comes out the lithium will take what's available all the way, get above about 80% with lead and agree, it's drip, drip, drip... then use petrol on the Honda Genny to get back to 100% before damaging them.
Some of us take joy and satisfaction in the wonderful technical advances which make living on a boat so much easier.
So feel sorry for the sad people and feel free to share your happiness
Add raspberry pi/signalk/halo radar, dyneema, LEDs, internet weather, anchors that work and satellite charts in(and) opencpn to that list. Been living on the hook for a load of years... sooooo much easier nowadays

Shout it from the rooftops! Some of us understand
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 07:28   #15

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoMeCasa View Post
Don't be sorry, I share your joy

Full time on the hook lifepo4 changed my life.
Not so much the huge amounts of charge they will take but they just keep sucking it up all the way to the top.
Just did 6 day goose winged passage south with sails usually between sun and panels so soc crept down every day, with lead acid I'd be freaking out to get them fully charged quick as possible again, lifepo4 no problem,anchor windlass loves the voltage even discharged. Cloudy day every time the sun comes out the lithium will take what's available all the way, get above about 80% with lead and agree, it's drip, drip, drip... then use petrol on the Honda Genny to get back to 100% before damaging them.
Some of us take joy and satisfaction in the wonderful technical advances which make living on a boat so much easier.
So feel sorry for the sad people and feel free to share your happiness
Add raspberry pi/signalk/halo radar, dyneema, LEDs, internet weather, anchors that work and satellite charts in(and) opencpn to that list. Been living on the hook for a load of years... sooooo much easier nowadays

Shout it from the rooftops! Some of us understand

Fully agree, LFP is a game changer. Also reducing risks, fully electric galley and get rid of gas...
just need to get to a location they ship LTO, then my lead starter get deleted too, cannot wait to get rid of them...
Bifacial solar panels also a game changer much less shading loss on passage and on anchor the 20% more from the backside...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium