Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2022, 19:13   #211

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Lithium and Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Do LiPo gel type have the memory problems other gel cells have?
No. LiPo cells are Lithium-Ion, and completely different from Lead-Acid gel cells.
Old 19-10-2022, 23:10   #212

Boat: Island Packet 40

The memory effect was mostly experienced by nickel cadmium gelled electrolyte cells. It was not a problem with liquid electrolyte nickel cadmium cells.
Old 20-10-2022, 04:47   #213

There is a phenomenon in LFP which has been called a "memory effect".

T1 Terry has extensive hands-on experience with testing and preventing it, so below is pending his feedback and corrections as the authority on the phenomenon.

Bottom line, my understanding is, IF you are not at least occasionally charging up past the usual "gentle termination" voltage of 3.45Vpc, then you should, bring it up right to the data sheet spec max say 3.6Vpc and hold Absorption stage there watching trailing current drop to say 0.2C before stopping then discharge at least a bit.

Yes this is stressful but as a maintenance routine say every 50 cycles not harmful.

An additional preventative is, if you are routinely charging to another lower SoC% point, say 60% for storage periods

do not keep using the same exact voltage setpoint, vary it regularly in a 10+% window, so say between 3.22Vpc and 3.28Vpc.

Hitting exactly the same precise SoC% point, over and over for many months (due to excessive reliance on automated controls) has a chemical effect that requires higher currents to get past that point

which can mistakenly be interpreted as a loss if capacity.

I do not think the same has been discovered within the other Lithium-Ion chemistries, LTO or the higher density li-ion ones at nominal 3.6-3.6V
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 14:10   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
The Markel issue seems to be not lithium iron batteries per se but rather the installation by DYIs.
My Markel agent said they flat out would not insure with Lifepo4. They seem to be confusing lithium-ion batteries as used in cell-phones and EVs, with Lifepo4.

I'm hoping by the time I renew my policy, they re-evaluate their position.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 06:54   #215

Boat: Hylas 49

Last week I was told by Gowrie that Markel will insure up to 250,000 if the batteries were US manufactured and professionally installed.
FWIW.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:05   #216

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

Reviving this thread in light of the back page "Parting Shot" of Professional BoatBuilder magazine by ABYC President John Adey. In it he talks about actual destructive testing the ABYC is doing.

BLUF: the US-built batteries are built like tanks, and it took an extraordinary effort to get a properly installed (aka - by an ABYC-certified installer) to burst into flames was nigh near impossible.

They will publish a full report soon. I bet insurance companies will finally listen...

Pretty much the only bad thing he says is that "a drop-in lithium battery that matches the case size of traditional lead-acid or other batteries can really cause more harm than good, especially if it comes without a BMS". Meaning that people replacing batteries only, and not re-engineering the whole charging and monitoring system, will inevitably lead to problems...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:39   #217

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
Reviving this thread in light of the back page "Parting Shot" of Professional BoatBuilder magazine by ABYC President John Adey. In it he talks about actual destructive testing the ABYC is doing.

BLUF: the US-built batteries are built like tanks, and it took an extraordinary effort to get a properly installed (aka - by an ABYC-certified installer) to burst into flames was nigh near impossible.

They will publish a full report soon. I bet insurance companies will finally listen...

Pretty much the only bad thing he says is that "a drop-in lithium battery that matches the case size of traditional lead-acid or other batteries can really cause more harm than good, especially if it comes without a BMS". Meaning that people replacing batteries only, and not re-engineering the whole charging and monitoring system, will inevitably lead to problems...

Text of the above article is attached. Wouldn't it be hilarious 20 years from now if no insurance companies will insure any boats that have the old style Flooded Lead Acid batteries (FLA) installed?!?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ABYC_LFP_Testing.pdf (251.5 KB, 33 views)
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 00:44   #218

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

ABYC is now doing the testing that's been on YouTube for years. They are many years behind the times.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:13   #219

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
and it took an extraordinary effort to get a properly installed to burst into flames...

You mean they managed to get a LifePO4 battery to ignite That's torn it, the insurance market are bound to read that the wrong way

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:59   #220

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You mean they managed to get a LifePO4 battery to ignite That's torn it, the insurance market are bound to read that the wrong way

Pete
No fire but they managed to get some smoke by driving two nails into the battery.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:03   #221
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
No fire but they managed to get some smoke by driving two nails into the battery.
What dumb a** they get to do that?

"Hey Billy Bob, hold my beer while I try somethin. Watch this."
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:09   #222

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What dumb a** they get to do that?

"Hey Billy Bob, hold my beer while I try somethin. Watch this."

Probably a good thing they did, now we know what to expect when some idiot with poorly secured stuff on their boat takes a big wave and something out of their toolbox impales an LFP battery.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, lithium