Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2018, 13:30   #1

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Is lithium really safe ?

I have been using normal lead batteries for the past years , my setup consist of 1x 12 volt 100 ah backup and engine battery and 2 x100ah batteries , my electric needs are not much , I have a fridge that use 6 ah that doesn't work much and the auto pilot which lately have been changed with the windvane .
I used to charge my batteries with 2 panels of 200 watt and a 400 watt wind generator , the panels will soon be replaced with 4x 50watt .
The backup battery has her own 50watt solar panel (I haven't need that battery yet ) .

I do consider to change my service batteries with 1 X 12 v 100ah lithium battery to save space mostly and weight , but I have my concerns on how stable those batteries are, do any of you use this kind of batteries ?? Are they safe or a fire hazard ?
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 23:46   #2

Re: Is lithium really safe ?

No battery is 100% safe.

Not lead acid, not nicd, not nimh, not any of the various lithium flavours...

Some are safer than others - eg, agm is lead acid without the spill risk.

Of all the lithium variations, LiFePO4 or LTO are the safest in that on their own and within normal charging regimes they can’t get into thermal runaway (still possible with some fault conditions though) generally speaking, both are about as safe as agm....
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 01:25   #3

with the demands and useage I would not bother with the hassle. stick with flooded or AGM. you will spend a lot with no real gain for your use.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 02:13   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The company which supplied my fire extinguishers are now advertising extinguishers for lithium products. Therefore they must now be perfectly safe.

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/template...Datasheets.pdf

we have similar requirements to you and are quite happy with flooded lead acid batteries. Simple, cheap and very forgiving if you don't charge them quite right. What is not to like?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 02:58   #5

Boat: Beneteau first 26

The idea was to start with one now for test purposes and then upgrade to a 48volt bank that I would be able to feed a 5 kw electric motor for about 1to 5 hour per time .

The size and kilos of 100ah 4*12v lithium batteries is the 1/3 of agm and lead .

Later the plan is to remove completely the engine , through for now I am.going with the hybrid model of if , which I have test and works nice .

The plan is not to save on fuel ,with half a litter per hour my engine uses it will take centuries, the plan is to be able to slow motor without the vibrations and the noise .
The cost of batteries and motor is about 1500 euro , the same motor will be used to power a scuba diving compressor.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 04:27   #6

Lead acid batteries sometimes explode. They emit hydrogen. Are they really safe?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 05:01   #7

Yes, name brand lithiums are as safe as others. As mckt243 said, no battery is 100% safe.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 05:56   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Ask your insurance Company....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 07:42   #9

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ask your insurance Company....
Rich,
Did you have any insurance issues?
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 07:53   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Rich,
Did you have any insurance issues?

I don't want to turn this thread into a "hate insurance companies thread" but yes. I had to change companies to get "electrical fire protection" because the company I had was too ignorant to understand. The crazy thing is they knew I had LiFePO4 batteries because they were listed on the Survey for 2 prior years (policy renewals) but then all of a sudden.....wham-O.

So I'm not saying LiFePO4 batteries are not safe....I'm just saying make SURE your insurance company will cover them.
Old 22-06-2018, 07:58   #11

Airlines usually do not allow freight shipments on lithium batteries. They can and do explode. Have never known of a lead acid battery exploding. Save shorting out the terminals. With good care kept charged a lead acid can easily last a decade. With heavy duty plates much longer. Lead acid is simple technology. It’s all in the plates. Heavier plates are always better. Drawing down below 50% severely shortens life. Besides its character building to add distilled water a few times a year.
piberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by piberman View Post
Airlines usually do not allow freight shipments on lithium batteries. They can and do explode. .
Sheesh...I guess it's a constant on the Myth Busting around the type of Lithium Batteries used on boats isn't it. Maybe this guy works for my past Insurance Company that doesn't understand the differences in Li battery technologies.

See what I mean....
"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid"

Oh and You can't fly with Wet Lead Acid batteries either, something about that corrosive acid getting everywhere.
Old 22-06-2018, 08:43   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Airlines don’t let you turn on your cell phone either, although I’d bet that there’s not one single accident you can attribute to the interference of one being on.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:54   #14

My yard won't install lithium. The track record for lithium (various types) is simply too short in time for them to have achieved the confidence level to recommend lithium. They're not saying lithium is not safe. They're saying let others prove the safety for an extended period. And that period of time simply hasn't met their threshold yet. So, I guess it's just a question of your risk tolerance. BTW, every time a manufacturer creates a new formulation for a safer battery the clock resets to zero. I don't think my yard will be installing lithium for a very long time.
JSLExplores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:55   #15
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Lithium is not specific.

LFP are safe enough, with proper working BMS-type protections functional.

Other lithium chemistries, not safe enough for boating House bank usage.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote