Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2023, 15:08   #91

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: DC to DC charger - not needed for boats with proper alternators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Let's see 70 amps out of a 105 amp alternator is approx 68% of total possible . So you are derating the alternator by just over 30% which reduces the heat considerably. And at 3800rpm there is plenty of cooling air to keep the alternator from overheating.
Aside from how long do you actually think the 70amp output would really be needed.
The delco remy 36 is a schoolbus alternator type designed for high loads on low revs, so it would be fine with this, no problem.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 15:11   #92

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
One question why no solar on a sailboat? My 200 watts charges me right up .
27’ boat. I’ve got 120W on the dodger, and another 200w foldable that I can put out when I’m be at anchor or at the dock. The 120W can keep up with my systems in the summer.

But I tend to do much of my sailing in the winter, when not only do we get down to 9 hours of daylight, but much of the time It’s raining or at least heavily overcast. That said, when it drops below freezing, and is sunny, the panels become more efficient.

But in reality, it’s mostly that I just can’t for enough panels to be useful as anything more than a range extender.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 15:18   #93

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Let's see 70 amps out of a 105 amp alternator is approx 68% of total possible . So you are derating the alternator by just over 30% which reduces the heat considerably. And at 3800rpm there is plenty of cooling air to keep the alternator from overheating.
We smoked 2 previous large frame alts (less amps but same size case) trying to charge AGM via a VSR.
Worked for a bit until it didn't.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 15:18   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
27’ boat. I’ve got 120W on the dodger, and another 200w foldable that I can put out when I’m be at anchor or at the dock. The 120W can keep up with my systems in the summer.

But I tend to do much of my sailing in the winter, when not only do we get down to 9 hours of daylight, but much of the time It’s raining or at least heavily overcast. That said, when it drops below freezing, and is sunny, the panels become more efficient.

But in reality, it’s mostly that I just can’t for enough panels to be useful as anything more than a range extender.
Funny I prefer winter as well that's the only time we get reliable winds . Not to mention how beautiful the San Juan Islands are when nobody is there.
Old 20-06-2023, 15:21   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We smoked 2 previous large frame alts (less amps but same size case) trying to charge AGM via a VSR.
Worked for a bit until it didn't.
But not derated by a third .
That 70 amp draw out of 105 amp alternator is the key to your alternator surviving long term.
Old 20-06-2023, 15:25   #96

Quote:
But if I have a smart regulator why would I need DC- DC chargers?

I thought the whole idea of smart regs like the Balmar or Wakespeed was so I could charge from alt direct to Lifepo4 bank?
But that's not the whole story. Does your smart regulator allow you to charge the Start batteries and the house battery bank without them being connected?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 15:40   #97

Quote:
But not derated by a third .
That 70 amp draw out of 105 amp alternator is the key to your alternator surviving long term.
They would have been derated by a 3rd if the charge curve was the same and the rpm were the same.
Old 20-06-2023, 15:42   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
They would have been derated by a 3rd if the charge curve was the same and the rpm were the same.
No the derate using the dc 2dc is different derated but still turning at top efficiency for cooling is a different critter.
Old 20-06-2023, 15:52   #99

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

A significant problem with using a dc/dc charger to protect the alternator is it only derates the alternator at cruising speed. If you are running the engine at 1000 RPM for a while, not an ideal situation but possible, you could well see an overheated alternator (the DC to DC converter will be pulling more than the alternator can make). A smart external regulator protects the alternator in all operating conditions. It also gives you full output early in the charge cycle, which is helpful if you are only going to run the engine for 10 or 20 minutes.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 15:57   #100

Quote:
Funny I prefer winter as well that's the only time we get reliable winds . Not to mention how beautiful the San Juan Islands are when nobody is there.
One of these years we’ll get up to Princess Louisa Inlet for New Years. Foiled twice now; two years ago by the heavy freezeup making potable water impossible to find, and last year heavy winds in the southern strait making it unsafe to bring the big boat up from Anacortes. Next year, maybe, we’ll make it.
Old 20-06-2023, 15:59   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
But that's not the whole story. Does your smart regulator allow you to charge the Start batteries and the house battery bank without them being connected?
Nah, there, a cheap dc-dc charger will maintain your start battery without any fuss. Also useful if you have a dual voltage system (12V starter, 24V house bank).
Old 20-06-2023, 16:09   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
One of these years we’ll get up to Princess Louisa Inlet for New Years. Foiled twice now; two years ago by the heavy freezeup making potable water impossible to find, and last year heavy winds in the southern strait making it unsafe to bring the big boat up from Anacortes. Next year, maybe, we’ll make it.
Cap Santee? We home out of there for the summer crab season with the big boat .
The FV Sikai.
Old 20-06-2023, 16:38   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
I still don't get this DC to DC charger saving the alt.

I am looking at fitting a 36si Delco Remy 105 amp @ 24v to our engine
At our 1150 cruise RPM there is 3800rpm at the pulley so we should be seeing 80amps.

Sterling 24v 35 amp DC to DC chargers X 2 is 70 amps pulling from the starts and alt.
Surely that'll still smoke the alternator if running for hour after hour after hour
The short version is that most alternators cannot output their full maximum rated output indefinitely. I have burned out several motor sailing all day or night. A large lithium bank or even a large AGM appears to the alternator as a giant short. We use a Balmar external charge controller limiting our alternator output to 50%. 80% was not enough with the alternator in a hot engine room in the tropics. You can also use a DC-DC converter as long as the end result is limiting the alternator output. I like the external controller and I believe one should have this anyway. One additional consideration is a cut off switch to turn off the alternator at near full charge. On an external regulator this switch is in line with the power from the oil pressure switch. The Balmar manual is clear what wire turns it on.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 17:03   #104

Quote:
Nah, there, a cheap dc-dc charger will maintain your start battery without any fuss. Also useful if you have a dual voltage system (12V starter, 24V house bank).
Find it hard to believe after spending the $$ that we'd have to go backwards and buy yet another charger.

Got to be a way of doing starts first and then house which is why I mentioned an AVR like the victron cyrix earlier.

If we had to have a backwards charger I do have a 240v victron ip67 24v 12amp charger which I used for the year we had no alternator at all
But seems a backwards step
Old 20-06-2023, 19:50   #105

Quote:
Find it hard to believe after spending the $$ that we'd have to go backwards and buy yet another charger.

Got to be a way of doing starts first and then house which is why I mentioned an AVR like the victron cyrix earlier.

If we had to have a backwards charger I do have a 240v victron ip67 24v 12amp charger which I used for the year we had no alternator at all
But seems a backwards step
The issue is that Lithium and Lead need significantly different charging profiles. On my boat, the alternator is doing strictly what the Lithium BMS is calling for, and that would not be healthy for the Lead.

The prime example is that most of the time, I want my Lithiums sitting at between 13.2v and 13.3v where it's best to let them rest, but I want the Lead to be sitting at 13.8v, which is where you want to store Lead.

The Orion-Tr I have was like $200, which isn't significantly more expensive than other options, and does its job with aplomb.

Tags
alternator, boat, charger, rope