Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2009, 03:29   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Well done Greg. good luck with the bottom bush. we did move mine a little bit using the the whole rudder as leverage. but did not go any further. Is the shaft diameter exactly 37mm?. I would like to order two bushes when you get around to having them copied and then I will try again on the bottom bush which is sloppy. the one that we sanded that was tight has been perfect ever since. Cheers Mick
privileged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 05:16   #2

Mick, I measured the shaft with a caliper and both bearing surfaces (top and bottom) were 49.1mm or just under 2 inches. Your pics look the same as mine, so I doubt the shaft size is different.

I would be happy to order 2 more bushings if you think they are the same. We can both get a better deal on price. I plan to order 4 so I have spares for the port rudder.

Thanks again for your pictures and descriptions of removing rudder. They were a great help to me.
Old 27-05-2009, 13:50   #3

Rudder Bushing Saga

Had another setback today on lower bushing. I bought a 6' metal fence post, stuck it inside the bushing and pulled pretty hard. Unfortunately, I bent the end of pipe into an egg shape. The pipe didn't bend, however, so I'll try reinforce the other end and try it again. I did find an 1.5" iron pipe that fits better, but they only had 10' lengths for $44 bucks. That may be the next escalation in my war on Delrin. At least the water is getting warmer.
Old 27-05-2009, 14:17   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
Had another setback today on lower bushing. I bought a 6' metal fence post, stuck it inside the bushing and pulled pretty hard. Unfortunately, I bent the end of pipe into an egg shape. The pipe didn't bend, however, so I'll try reinforce the other end and try it again. I did find an 1.5" iron pipe that fits better, but they only had 10' lengths for $44 bucks. That may be the next escalation in my war on Delrin. At least the water is getting warmer.
Not knowing the boat, but feeling your pain..........
I am assume you cannot put a pipe in from the top to tap it out, thus you are putting a pipe in from the end and trying to "work" it out.
What about a bearing puller with claws pointed outboard attached to a bar or extension that you could tap downward on while in the water?
Just feelin' your pain.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 19:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Not knowing the boat, but feeling your pain..........
I am assume you cannot put a pipe in from the top to tap it out, thus you are putting a pipe in from the end and trying to "work" it out.
What about a bearing puller with claws pointed outboard attached to a bar or extension that you could tap downward on while in the water?
Just feelin' your pain.
Therapy, Thanks for the suggestions, but the bushing has a unique home. It sits in an aluminum housing that is curved the same radius as the bushing. The only way to remove it is to rotate it 90 degrees and pull it out through the slot in the bottom of the housing. I can't even budge it so far and suspect there is corrosion on aluminum and possible swelling of the bushing. If all else fails, I may be able to cut it with a hack saw blade...that will take awhile.
Old 28-05-2009, 11:20   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
Therapy, Thanks for the suggestions, but the bushing has a unique home. It sits in an aluminum housing that is curved the same radius as the bushing. The only way to remove it is to rotate it 90 degrees and pull it out through the slot in the bottom of the housing. I can't even budge it so far and suspect there is corrosion on aluminum and possible swelling of the bushing. If all else fails, I may be able to cut it with a hack saw blade...that will take awhile.
That came to me as the evenings work wore on to MN.

Still making stuff up with no first hand knowledge.

Drill two holes, insert bolts, rotate, pull on bolts.

I used a hand crank drill one time under water to repair a cracked rudder with a strap so we could feel better about getting home. No fun.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege