Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2021, 20:07   #61

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: Newbie to circumnavigate Australia, looking for advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke 1 View Post
Its funny how Aussies just say "she'll be right m8, get out there and have some fun" and Americans are like "go do courses and hire boats".
Totally different mind sets eh.
Just remember, we Yanks got kicked out and sent to the colonies about 50 years before the Brits started sending your mob to OZ. I guess that makes us about 50 years more undesireable than you Had George Washington just thrown in the towel at Valley Forge, about half of you would be living in Georgia - you owe him big time for that
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 21:00   #62

Boat: Still building

You might want to contact Woollahra Mirrors on FB. I beleive they sail out of Woollahra Sailing Club, and are always keen for new members. I think they may evn have their own boats that ca be loaned, but they do have *some* space on shore where keen regular sailors can keep a dinghy.
Regular means 'every fine weekend' during the summer season, so you do need to be *keen*.
But definitely talk to them. Ask for Khiem Tran, he's a local legend in the Mirrors fraternity and dinghy cruising fraternity.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 21:05   #63

Boat: Still building

Another thought if no-one has suggested it is to look for the sailing guides for the Oz coast, such as the one for WA by the WA Cruising Club. Can be bought online as PDF.
TAS Royal Yacht Club also does one for TAS, and the commercially available guides for Queensland and East coast can be had from ebay for a few dollars.
QLD govt does one for Moreton Bay and SE Qld.
These will give you an idea about anchorages and a whole lot more stuff.
And I second looking up 'Free Range Sailing' channel on YouTube. They've just done a lap of Oz in a 30' Clansman called 'Mirrool' with lots of good info especially on repairs, maintenance and provisioning, and stuff to see along the way.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 21:50   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Just remember, we Yanks got kicked out and sent to the colonies about 50 years before the Brits started sending your mob to OZ. I guess that makes us about 50 years more undesireable than you Had George Washington just thrown in the towel at Valley Forge, about half of you would be living in Georgia - you owe him big time for that
Good one, Joel!

On the other hand, he would be trading meat pies and mushy peas for outstanding barbeque at the roadside stands... so I dunno!

Jim
Old 22-03-2021, 22:17   #65

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not on the West coast and the Bright is okay if you time the fronts right.. over the top is the hard bit with lots of calms July n August.
Across the Bight, The wind goes West to East, The waves go West to East,
Thats 3000 miles of it, Perth to Gabo Island,

If your a hardened sailor and want to get Battered by sailing into the wind,
Thats your choice, Go for it, Enjoy it,

Five Gales in Bass strait over the last month, All going West to East,
Ive been in all five of them, Including four days anchored behind Gabo island till the blew thru,
We are still getting battered by Gales here on the east Coast, EDEN,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 22:51   #66

Boat: Other peoples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Good one, Joel!

On the other hand, he would be trading meat pies and mushy peas for outstanding barbeque at the roadside stands... so I dunno!

Jim
I enjoy the occasional BBQ. But I do eat a lot of pie's.
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 01:42   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke 1 View Post
I enjoy the occasional BBQ. But I do eat a lot of pie's.
Unless you have travelled to the southern portions of the USA you ain't ever had BBQ! The term does not just mean some meat cooked over a fire... it is a lovingly applied process, with regional variations, but no such fare has ever appeared to my eyes in Oz. I wish it were not so... from the slow smoked brisket of Texas to the pulled pork of the Carolinas or the ribs of the delta area, all delicious, all deeply missed by this expat cruiser!

Jim
Old 23-03-2021, 02:19   #68

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Unless you have travelled to the southern portions of the USA you ain't ever had BBQ! The term does not just mean some meat cooked over a fire... it is a lovingly applied process, with regional variations, but no such fare has ever appeared to my eyes in Oz. I wish it were not so... from the slow smoked brisket of Texas to the pulled pork of the Carolinas or the ribs of the delta area, all delicious, all deeply missed by this expat cruiser!

Jim
Something you can't recreate with a pushpit gas BBQ and the "right" ingredients?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 02:31   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Something you can't recreate with a pushpit gas BBQ and the "right" ingredients?
Heinz, I sometimes try, but without a proper smoker the brisket isn't likely to come right and in general the processes are quite slow and ill suited to on board life. And it's hard to find mesquite charcoal here!

I also miss Mexican food, but that I can reasonably emulate on board. Some ingredients are hard to come by, like fresh tomatillos and some peppers, but there's a firm in Sydney that imports many of the non-fresh things.

Hope that you are not being flooded out, mate...

Jim

Hmm... I think I'm guilty of thread drifting... sorry 'bout that!
Old 23-03-2021, 05:25   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Newbie to circumnavigate Australia, looking for advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Across the Bight, The wind goes West to East, The waves go West to East,
Thats 3000 miles of it, Perth to Gabo Island,

If your a hardened sailor and want to get Battered by sailing into the wind,
Thats your choice, Go for it, Enjoy it,

Five Gales in Bass strait over the last month, All going West to East,
Ive been in all five of them, Including four days anchored behind Gabo island till the blew thru,
We are still getting battered by Gales here on the east Coast, EDEN,
We'll I did Perth to Pt Huon in November.. off Cape Leeuwin I was hove to in a SE 7 for 12hrs waiting for it to go SW.. across most of the Bright it was beam reaching in light winds till I had to dive into Pt Fairy to dodge a 3 day W gale.. then back out with a light beam reach going to a close reach as the wind went S.. then engine on as the wind died and I motored across the Bass Strait in mirror calm with dolphins and seals gambolling in the water all around.. I cut across from the Northern most W island down to the NE corner of Tassie..
Pick your season, weather windows and refuges wisely and I don't see why it cannot be done, in fact people do.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 14:11   #71

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
And I always thought of more as a "Judicious relocation of people who had more to offer in a new location"!
Or was it that the Poms were feeling generous and simply rehomed people for free?

Roger (Ex Pom who consciously chose to escape the cold and wet UK)
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 14:39   #72

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
We'll I did Perth to Pt Huon in November.. off Cape Leeuwin I was hove to in a SE 7 for 12hrs waiting for it to go SW.. across most of the Bright it was beam reaching in light winds till I had to dive into Pt Fairy to dodge a 3 day W gale.. then back out with a light beam reach going to a close reach as the wind went S.. then engine on as the wind died and I motored across the Bass Strait in mirror calm with dolphins and seals gambolling in the water all around.. I cut across from the Northern most W island down to the NE corner of Tassie..
Pick your season, weather windows and refuges wisely and I don't see why it cannot be done, in fact people do.
Perth to Pt Huon, Tasmania is anti clockwise around Australia,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 15:00   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Newbie to circumnavigate Australia, looking for advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Perth to Pt Huon, Tasmania is anti clockwise around Australia,
Despite what Mike may allude I am not thick..
You stated one would face headwinds, current and waves all the way going the other way.. if you read my post properly you will see apart from one night hove to in the Lee of Cape Leeuwin because a gusty SE F7 was stopping me going round and a 3 day W gale I had light S'ly winds and little to no sea.. the only time was when I went S of 40* and did not stay lthere ong as it was lumpy so went N of 40* again.
There's a counter current in the Bight and, at the right time of year and jumping off after fronts have passed one can make decent progress to the W..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 16:00   #74

Quote:

Jim
No I haven't, but i do have a smoker and charcoal grill at home. Also some home made rubs and recipe's etc from American and aussie friends (part boiling the chicken wings was an eye opener) and a mate in SA makes his own chilly salts which are awesome.
The Spanish also do a lovely BBQ and i have spent time in Spain.
But i cannot speak for home cooked American BBQ as i haven't been.
I'd wager Dugong on a BBQ would be very hard to beat.

But Pies you can have for breakfast (egg and bacon pie), lunch (cauliflower and cheese pie), dinner (what ever meat/ fish or scallop pie u desire) and even desert (apple pie) where as BBQ I cant have every day or week, its just to heavy for me. Except for maybe BBQ duck like the Chinese do it. I could have that every week.
Old 23-03-2021, 16:20   #75

Smile Re: Newbie to circumnavigate Australia, looking for advice

Quote:
And it's hard to find mesquite charcoal here!

Jim

Hmm... I think I'm guilty of thread drifting... sorry 'bout that!
Yes sorry OP for the drift. Good convo though.
Jim you can order it from Outdoors Domain on the web. https://www.outdoorsdomain.com.au/20...IaAnmHEALw_wcB

or

https://www.bbqxl.com.au/shop/bbq-**...-11-47-litres/

I expect a great BBQ lunch if we ever meet up! haha

Tags
Advice, Australia