Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2021, 16:52   #76

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Newbie to circumnavigate Australia, looking for advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke 1 View Post
Yes sorry OP for the drift. Good convo though.
Jim you can order it from Outdoors Domain on the web. https://www.outdoorsdomain.com.au/20...IaAnmHEALw_wcB

or

https://www.bbqxl.com.au/shop/bbq-**...-11-47-litres/

I expect a great BBQ lunch if we ever meet up! haha
Well, we do have a kinda inadequate propane grill on board, and can sometimes get it to do decent grilled steaks, etc, but doin' real BBQ on board hasn't been something I wanted to attempt.

And while I sometimes resort to ordering small items from the e-world, charcoal seems a bit OTT, especially for one without a proper shore address or room for a smoker to use it in.

I did e-order a few kilos of ground Mexican chilies a couple of years ago, but we were in Pittwater then and had local friends with real addresses and the shipping costs were reasonable!

So, I'll continue to reminisce about brisket in Austin, ribs in Kansas City (and in the old days, the south side of Chicago) and pulled pork in Asheville, and try to avoid meat pie floaters here in Tas.

Dunno what would be on the menu, but we'd try to feed ya sumpin' if you hove aboard, Luke!

Jim
Old 23-03-2021, 17:24   #77

Boat: Other peoples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, we do have a kinda inadequate propane grill on board, and can sometimes get it to do decent grilled steaks, etc, but doin' real BBQ on board hasn't been something I wanted to attempt.

And while I sometimes resort to ordering small items from the e-world, charcoal seems a bit OTT, especially for one without a proper shore address or room for a smoker to use it in.

I did e-order a few kilos of ground Mexican chilies a couple of years ago, but we were in Pittwater then and had local friends with real addresses and the shipping costs were reasonable!

So, I'll continue to reminisce about brisket in Austin, ribs in Kansas City (and in the old days, the south side of Chicago) and pulled pork in Asheville, and try to avoid meat pie floaters here in Tas.

Dunno what would be on the menu, but we'd try to feed ya sumpin' if you hove aboard, Luke!

Jim
Judging from your location it may be Cray fish tails and Abalone. So no pressure..lol
Your are in a lovely part of the world down there.
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 21:19   #78

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:

Jim
Do you realise that you can get internet deliverys to the Post Office near where ever you are, Jim,
Just get them to send it to the Post Office, Number and street name, and post code,
They hold it for a few weeks till you can pick it up,

Its different to a post office box, Which you have to pay for,

Cheers Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 21:41   #79

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Do you realise that you can get internet deliverys to the Post Office near where ever you are, Jim,
Just get them to send it to the Post Office, Number and street name, and post code,
They hold it for a few weeks till you can pick it up,

Its different to a post office box, Which you have to pay for,

Cheers Brian,
Yes, I was aware of that possibility, but quail at the thought of postage on a 20 kg sack of mesquite chunks, and the bleak stare of the lady in the local PO who had to deal with it!

But the real problem is having no device in which to burn it, and my considerable laziness as well.

Come the day when we move ashore, things will be different (all too different)

and such activities will become more feasible.

Thanks for the thought, Brian... and, are ya still in Eden?

Jim
Old 23-03-2021, 23:27   #80

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Yes, I was aware of that possibility, but quail at the thought of postage on a 20 kg sack of mesquite chunks, and the bleak stare of the lady in the local PO who had to deal with it!

But the real problem is having no device in which to burn it, and my considerable laziness as well.

Come the day when we move ashore, things will be different (all too different)

and such activities will become more feasible.

Thanks for the thought, Brian... and, are ya still in Eden?

Jim
Yes, Mate,
Been hammered by the gales in the last month,
Was in the Towamba River, Kiah inlet, Dead calm and no wind, Protected by a sand bar and the cliffs, For a week, Storms raged the whole time outside,

But we had to come out to get a delivery from the Post office,
New El Cheapo Wind Generator, $165-00 AUD,

That was not good, Bit of surf to drive thru, No problems,
But it turned out to be 3 metre waves on the nose continuously across the bay to Eden, Straight from the east,
The waves came back over the whole boat drowning us and flooding the cockpit,
Averil was not amused, She was dressed up to go to town, She is still smiling tho,

I should have stayed in the inlet, But then the flood waters would probably made me move out of their too with the flotsam and possibly trees, coming down the river,
Then I would have copped it worse with the waves coming out,

Surge here at the Wharfe is chronic, But I am stuck here for a week or so,
Waiting for my back to heal,
At least we dont have the waves coming from the south west or we would get hammered here,

And I have to pull the drive leg off the boat to repair the bellows thats leaking oil,
I will have to beach it to do that, Back into Kiah Inlet again, Its possibly a two low tides to change it,
The parts are coming from England, Sillette,

A very Big fishing trawler broke free here this morning at 2-30 AM, Next to me on the other side of the wharfe,
400 tons would do a lot of damage,
One stern rope and the anchor was all that was holding it, By the time the Cavalry arrived
I found out there are no Police, water police, Rescue services or any thing else operating here at night. At Eden,

I finally reported it thru the Sydney water police and they got things moving,
Two tugs and 10 men on deck got it back against the Wharfe again,

Currently installing my Chinese wind generator on the boat, four days with no sun the Freezer drains my battery Bank,

The big Cat anchored in front of me recorded 47 knots last night, Caught 57 litres of rain for his tanks, He is on his way to Tassie from Qld,
When the waves ease a bit, He is going to anchor behind the chip wharfe, Other side of the Bay,

Its actually a pleasant day here with almost no wind and sunshine,
The surge is still strong,

Sorry for the thread drift,

Cheers Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat loose at Eden 018.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	235132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat loose at Eden 014.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	235133  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat loose at Eden 027.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	235134  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 14:57   #81

Hi guys,

Just a quick update on my journey and a huge thanks to the community.

Since I have posted this thread, thanks to you, I am reading much more relevant books, watching youtube, doing research.

Also, the plan has slightly changed, and instead of waiting for a few years before buying a cat, I will be sometime soon purchasing a monohull (smth like 33ft one) to learn and get some experience under my belt. I also found out that it's impossible to get insurance on an expensive cat if I don't have experience.

Special thanks to @hzcriser for offering me an excellent opportunity to be on your boat, help with some maintenance, and show me what is what.

Also, special thanks to @Morph for taking me out on the very first sail in my life, showing me what sailing is like on your mottle boat. Those were an unforgettable few hours!

Question for everyone: I am a tall guy, 193cm. Do you know any boats around 30 years old and are about 33ft or 10m long where I could stand upright inside? So far, in Mottle 33 I wasn't able to do that. However, high-sided Mottle 33 had just enough headspace. Are there any other models I could look into? It's impossible to say from pictures, and i couldn't find such info in boat specs.

Thanks, everyone for your contribution
MichSn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 17:54   #82

Boat: Beneteau 50

We had the same problem with my husband's height.
Not sure how you will go in the 33' range, but try some Catalinas. They are generally good for head height.
And maybe check out what you can find on Boat Specs website: https://www.boat-specs.com/
Old 12-04-2021, 18:53   #83

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichSn View Post
What is the reason for those ship wrecks? Small islands and shallow water in between them?
Not many islands, except for Rottnest (off Fremantle) and the Houtmans Abrolhos, which claimed many (Dutch) ships some centuries ago. In the past (pre 1900) there was not one safe harbour to shelter from winter storms, hence the many shipwrecks. Correct that, Albany had and has a natural harbour.

Coast is not shallow at all. Geographe Bay and part of Shark bay the shallowest, but still 10-30 mt deep. There are many reefs, ie Ningaloo up North, around Geraldton and Dongara, and nearly all the way to Fremantle, and going on the Bunbury. It is those rocky things that hurts the boats.

And even now, there are not many harbours one can enter when there is a large swell running, as the whole of the west and south Coast is a lee shore. There are no easy rivers or inlets one can enter either.

For WA, the best one can do is to get the free cruising guide as mentioned by Kim Klaka in post #55. I think later on another poster referred to this, but wrongly that there was a fee for this.

Tags
Advice, Australia