Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 21:02   #1

Surveyor/boat repair in maine

Are there any boat repair shops that do surveys as well? I'd figure I'd might as well get a quote while I'm getting the survey done.
Asval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 12:39   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Re: Surveyor/boat repair in maine

Yes there are plenty of good boat yards in Maine where you could get a survey and repair work done.

Where is the boat or where would you like to be?
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 13:01   #3

Not sure that I would want a surveyor with ties to a yard that would be the beneficiary of any work/repairs he recommended.

Check out Mass Marine Surveyors, Inc. in Beverly, MA. Independent marine surveyor and rigger.

Regards
LOTR
LordoftheReach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 13:14   #4

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asval View Post
Are there any boat repair shops that do surveys as well? I'd figure I'd might as well get a quote while I'm getting the survey done.
Captain Q has been reviewing a lot of boats in Main recently.
https://www.youtube.com/c/CaptainQYachtHunter/videos

I don't know if he is a qualified surveyor, but you could always ask him to come over and review your boat...
Old 16-01-2021, 14:07   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

As far as repair goes, we had friends who had a very expensive hard grounding. Their repairs were done by Front Street Shipyard in Belfast and they were very happy with the outcome.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 14:18   #6

pirate Re: Surveyor/boat repair in maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyS View Post
Yes there are plenty of good boat yards in Maine where you could get a survey and repair work done.

Where is the boat or where would you like to be?
Rockland, Maine in cold storage. I'd be willing to move the boat anywhere for repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheReach View Post
Not sure that I would want a surveyor with ties to a yard that would be the beneficiary of any work/repairs he recommended.

Check out Mass Marine Surveyors, Inc. in Beverly, MA. Independent marine surveyor and rigger.

Regards
LOTR
Thanks, the main reason for a survey with ties to a marina is because I already have a survey done by a marina that was done by the original owner, I'd like another survey done by another boat repair shop ideally so I have second quote for work to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWer View Post
Captain Q has been reviewing a lot of boats in Main recently.
https://www.youtube.com/c/CaptainQYachtHunter/videos

I don't know if he is a qualified surveyor, but you could always ask him to come over and review your boat...
I love this channel and watch every episode, I've messaged him but he has yet to reply. Would love it if he reviews my boat.
Old 17-01-2021, 05:09   #7

Asval, I live close to Rockland; I know a few surveyors who work in the area. Front Street is a good yard; Lyman Morse in Thomaston or Rockland are also excellent and close to Rockland. You might want to check out Johanson's as well.

PM me if you'd like more info on the area.
CJSchreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 09:05   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Billings Marine Diesel in Stonington. A quick hop across the Bay from you, and well-known all over as one of the best yards in Maine.

It's not clear to me whether you want a proper survey, or simply an estimate for the work needed. Most yards keep a list of local surveyors, or can do an estimate. Two totally different things.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 09:43   #9

In my experience in NE Florida yards tend to be more task oriented when doing inspections. That is fine as long as you have a fairly modern production boat with the usual equipment inventory. Just fix what is wrong with it. Older boats generally benefit from a more complete analysis that a good hull survey should provide. Careful study to make sure all the parts are there and to evaluate their condition/function.

Quote:
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:17   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

We second the recommendation for Billings.

We've been very happy using Weber's Cove Marina in Blue Hill for maintenance and storage. They have a full-service yard as well as a DIY yard. They even do the mega yachts so I can't imagine anything they couldn't do. Very nice, flexible folks to deal with and we've never felt overcharged.

Williams on Somes Sound on MDI is also well thought of.

If you need more ideas, we know some local folks over that way for ideas.

Cheers!
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 12:24   #11

Boat: cape dory 31

I live in the area, but I’m sure others on this forum have had more time and experience in and around mid-coast Maine. There’s a number of good boatyards reasonably close to Rockland. I’ve had good work done by Lyman-Morse and and I keep my boat at Johanson’s. I can not recommend Journey’s End. Wood boat, talk to Rockport Marine or the Brooklin Boatyard.

You don’t say whether you are willing to truck or sail your boat to another location. Within a good day’s sail you can reach everything between Boothbay and MDI, so Belfast and Stonington are within that area. However, it’s a big ask for them to come to Rockland to assess your boat’s condition.

Like other posters I’m not sure what you are looking for from a marine surveyor- they are licensed and independent of boatyards, good for a purchaser and often required by insurers, and will tell you what concerns him/her or not. You will probably get a list of respected boatyards in the area. For an honest inspection prior to an $estimate for a specific job, that’s a trusted boatyard’s business.
snippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 12:03   #12

Boat: Quickstep 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
We second the recommendation for Billings.

Williams on Somes Sound on MDI is also well thought of.

I also can vouch for John Williams Boat Co. in Somes Sound on Mt. Desert Island.
These are exceptionally honest and capable people. John Williams himself is very highly respected in the field and on the island. He and his staff have been building new boats, restoring old ones and doing maintenance for a very long time. The wharf there is deep water and well protected (being in a sound).
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 22:54   #13

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, now I have a good list of boatyards in the area that may be able to get my boat in this season to get it worked on. Ended up going with Dirigo Maritime Yacht Surveying for the survey which was done today, biggest issue with the vessels was a crack in the deck and the boat needing some long overdue tlc so I'm quite pleased so far.

The boat is a Tiburon 36 and it's currently at Johansons, so I'll probably end up using that yard to do the work if they're willing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snippet View Post

You don’t say whether you are willing to truck or sail your boat to another location. Within a good day’s sail you can reach everything between Boothbay and MDI, so Belfast and Stonington are within that area. However, it’s a big ask for them to come to Rockland to assess your boat’s condition.

Like other posters I’m not sure what you are looking for from a marine surveyor- they are licensed and independent of boatyards, good for a purchaser and often required by insurers, and will tell you what concerns him/her or not. You will probably get a list of respected boatyards in the area. For an honest inspection prior to an $estimate for a specific job, that’s a trusted boatyard’s business.
I'd be willing to do either to get it fixed properly, and as far as surveyor I guess someone that might be able to do a cost assessment as well as a survey to see what I'm getting myself into. The vessels current name is " budgie smuggler" but I think I'll be changing it to "tenuitas".
Old 20-01-2021, 05:38   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 31

We didn't use Johansons for our repowering in 2016, but we wish we had. They do seem to have a fine reputation.

Cheers
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 07:08   #15

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the recommendations, now I have a good list of boatyards in the area that may be able to get my boat in this season to get it worked on. Ended up going with Dirigo Maritime Yacht Surveying for the survey which was done today, biggest issue with the vessels was a crack in the deck and the boat needing some long overdue tlc so I'm quite pleased so far.

The boat is a Tiburon 36 and it's currently at Johansons, so I'll probably end up using that yard to do the work if they're willing.

I'd be willing to do either to get it fixed properly, and as far as surveyor I guess someone that might be able to do a cost assessment as well as a survey to see what I'm getting myself into. The vessels current name is " budgie smuggler" but I think I'll be changing it to "tenuitas".
Look forward to following your project. Do post here on CF as you progress. Cheers!
Jim

Tags
boat, maine, survey, surveyor