Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 18:49   #1

Options for getting from Alabama back to Great Lakes

Hello CF,

I'm thinking about heading back up the Tenn-Tom in order to get my boat back to Lake Michigan. I know that I can get as far as Cairo without too much of a problem, but between Cairo and St. Louis the Mississippi (@3-6 knots current during the spring) will be too much for my sailboat. I'm considering having the boat pulled in Cairo and trucked up to Sturgeon Bay WI. Does anyone know if there are facilities in Cairo or close that can haul a 34' Gemini catamaran (14' beam) and place it on a trailer? Any thoughts/recommendations are very much appreciated.

Thanks!
rudyhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 19:23   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Options for getting from Alabama back to Great Lakes

I haven't been there but from my notes from a conversation with a looper I believe that Green Turtle Bay on Lake Barkley might be able to help you. There are several other sail-oriented marinas on Barkley and Kentucky Lake that might meet your needs.
Old 28-01-2021, 16:19   #3

Boat: Grampian 26

Doesn't the ICW have something going east west for the GoM sailors? I haven't sailed the GoM but I'm sure I read something about it. Might be way out of your way.

Good luck and fair winds [emoji569][emoji3]

Tim
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 11:31   #4

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Rudy,

Jammer has it right. The trip up the TennTom will be fun but the big rivers in a small sailboat would be slow and not fun. We did the loop a few years ago and stopped at Green Turtle for a rest and haul out to check the prop after a number of hits on trees in the Mississippi. Green Turtle can take down the mast, haul the boat and put it on a trailer for Wisconsin. You will finish the trip and probably not recognize what a good decision that you made and how it was money well spent. We spent four days on the Mississippi and we never want to see it again. When it rains in Minnesota and Wisconsin everything not tied down floats down the river.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alabama, great lakes