Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 08:40   #1

Selling a cat in Florida over hurricane season / haul out / slip

Myself and my family are finishing up our gap year and will be looking to get off the boat and back to Utah in July. While we've gained quite a bit of cruising and offshore experience, we have no experience of keeping a boat on a slip, or dealing with hurricane season.

Ideally we would leave the boat in the water in Ft. Lauderdale and have it listed for sale.

Currently, I'm having a hard time finding yards with a travel lift wide enough and room to haul out if a hurricane comes.

We will need to return to Utah and leave the boat in Lauderdale, paying for regular hull / deck cleanings which is pretty easy to manage. The issue comes if / when a storm comes.

I will most likely have trouble flying out to remove sails and hurricane prep and get to a (yet to be found) yard for haul out for the storm.

Does anyone have any experience with the following:

Insuring a sailboat to stay in the water during a named storm?

Paying someone to do all of the hurricane prep and then reinstallation after the storm?

Finding a general slip in the area that is wide enough for a cat and has good protection?

The more I look at it, the more likely it seems I may wind up putting the boat on the hard at the Bradford yard in Freeport as they have plenty of room / hurricane ties and then I could list for sale after hurricane season.

Thanks!
jgw50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, haul out, hurricane