Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2021, 07:19   #46

Re: Focused “What Marina” Thread: Florida East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
The “ Big Companies “ don’t own the waterway and as I said if you are not impeding marine traffic you can anchor or park on any suitable bank.
You can't 'park' on just any suitable bank. The bank is land, and there is no such thing as land owned by Nobody. Everything is owned by someone, and accessing it, even just to land is trespassing.

The OP needs a place to store the vessel where he can also legally land to shuttle in materials and resources.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 08:33   #47

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I’ve noticed that you put a lot of parameters around everything you want to do. It makes it very easy to shoot down ideas that might just really work for you. The “ Big Companies “ don’t own the waterway and as I said if you are not impeding marine traffic you can anchor or park on any suitable bank.
You live in Ohio it says. So you’re ok with me coming by with the RV, not talking to you and setting up camp on your property?

That’s what you’re telling me I ought to do with the land next to the waterway.

The big company DOES own all the land around the Okeechobee Waterway. It’s an enormous landholding corporation. It owns everything you see along the waterway that you think looks like unused farmland. They have bought up the entire area bit by bit. They are actually one of the largest landholders in all of Florida. They are the 5th largest, to be precise. They are called the Lykes Brothers.

https://www.floridatrend.com/article...downers?page=7

How do you sit here telling me it’s not true? Get out a property map and start clicking on the banks of the Okeechobee waterway. You’ll see the same company over and over and over.

Finally, you can’t just anchor wherever in the waterway. There are 6ft rollers coming off the 60-80ft power boats running in semi-displacement mode. Those are enough to smash my boat into the bottom and damage it, as well as drive a person crazy.

How do you know so little about this area and tell me I’m wrong about it?

I’m very VERY familiar with this area.

And yes, things have parameters. I have a length, a beam, a draft, a lot of work to do, certain materials to work with, health issues that cone into play and have to work to make money to fund this project. Not a trust fund heir. I guess maybe you are? I’ve worked hard for whatever I have with zero help or inheritance or any assistance whatsoever. So us non- retired and non trust fund types still do have a lot of parameters. Sorry if that is upsetting up you.

I’d love to just have a carefree life without parameters. Unfortunately, I have to work.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 08:37   #48

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You can't 'park' on just any suitable bank. The bank is land, and there is no such thing as land owned by Nobody. Everything is owned by someone, and accessing it, even just to land is trespassing.

The OP needs a place to store the vessel where he can also legally land to shuttle in materials and resources.
Precisely!! Thank you.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, florida