Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2021, 02:30   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Focused “What Marina” Thread: Florida East Coast

Well, I need to move my boat ASAP from where it is. The marina has lost its marbles. Aside from all the other absolutely crazy rules they started putting in under new management, you are only allowed to have one bicycle aboard your boat and it must be registered and have a registration tag affixed to the handlebars. You aren’t allowed to work on your bicycle, but it must always be in good running order. Bonkers! They have dozens of similar rules for your boat. You also can no longer work on boats here or run generators, despite there being no electricity. My mind is blown.

So... I need to quickly build some new motor mounts and get the boat to a normal marina. My boat cannot be insured yet since it isn’t complete. This may be a factor.

Can anyone suggest a marina on the east coast of Florida that is really inexpensive that my boat can fit into? 50’ LOA x 25’ beam.

I need the dock fees to be at an absolute minimum because I have to pay to build out the boat too. A forum member will be with me this winter working on the boat so it’s the 2 of us.

Anyone who has a private dock and wants to charge some reasonable, almost marina rate would be great too. I’d take a river bank in still water we lay a board across even. Anything will do.

The other forum member would be staying in the boat while we build the interior out. I’ll have a little RV that fits in a single parking spot. It’s not about drinking or partying or having any fun. It’s about getting the boat to a level it can be brought up north in April/May. Getting the rig on, getting the interior more complete. I actually don’t drink, smoke, do drugs or have any fun at all. Ha ha ha.

Can anyone help on this? I’m getting boxed into a corner here. It’s way too expensive to fit out the boat and pay for expensive marinas. It’s not affordable at all for me to do that. I can’t afford that.

My plan was to just live aboard and finish things at anchor using epoxy but that plan was obliterated by my severe epoxy allergy. I have managed to find new ways of doing the interior, but these require a dock since I’m extremely sensitive to any chemicals now and cannot sleep among them while they are letting off fumes of any kind at all.

So... anyone know of a marina that is really inexpensive (multiply the rate for 50ft and a catamaran) where I can go this winter to get things done?

No green cove springs, please. All other places considered.

PS: On the hard is fine. In the water is fine. Ideas about ways to do this at anchor (and get water and still park the RV) are fine. Similar ideas about doing it in a mooring field are fine. Power tools would be running but not much generator time at all since 1500 watts solar. Dock would be best.
Old 14-10-2021, 02:57   #2

Re: Focused “What Marina” Thread: Florida East Coast

Ok. Let’s open it up to the west coast of Florida too. Not any farther north than the Tampa area. It’s a long slog back to the northeast USA from the Florida panhandle.
Old 14-10-2021, 04:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Consider hauling out during the work. We lived in our boat on the hard here on the Florida panhandle while working on it, for far less than the cost of a slip, and much better access to the hull and to the shops.

Unless you can find that private deal, the area Jacksonville to Tampa is going to be a problem. Virtually all of it is developed and expensive. The eastern panhandle is the "Forgotten Coast" and minimally developed.
Old 14-10-2021, 05:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Consider hauling out during the work. We lived in our boat on the hard here on the Florida panhandle while working on it, for far less than the cost of a slip, and much better access to the hull and to the shops.

Unless you can find that private deal, the area Jacksonville to Tampa is going to be a problem. Virtually all of it is developed and expensive. The eastern panhandle is the "Forgotten Coast" and minimally developed.
It’s probably for the same reasons I am not attracted to it. A fair number of the people are probably from Canada and the US east coast. It’s incredibly far to get over to the panhandle from there.

I know your spot is ideal in a lot of ways though. Definitely.

I’m 100% open to putting it in the hard for the work too. No problem at all. I’ll take almost that fits the budget at this point. I’m paying $350/mo but that includes no electric or water. So, it’s a lot of time and money trucking those things in. Electric has gotten better with a big solar array. Not much generator usage now. Water is not very fun to truck in.
Old 14-10-2021, 05:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
. It’s a long slog back to the northeast USA from the Florida panhandle.
I don’t get it? You have a big FAST cat. Key West is 450 miles from Panama City. That’s what? 2 days? That doesn’t seem like it turns a four day trip into “long slog” to me…

Seems like it would be worth it if it saved some significant dollars…
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 06:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
I don’t get it? You have a big FAST cat. Key West is 450 miles from Panama City. That’s what? 2 days? That doesn’t seem like it turns a four day trip into “long slog” to me…

Seems like it would be worth it if it saved some significant dollars…
It’s not fast yet! Ha ha. The rig will be on deck for this trip.

A long, slow motoring trip.

Also, it’s not really ready for open water at this time. It’s a construction site. The ICW is more suitable for transporting it loaded with tools, construction materials, etc.

Things can fly all over the place causing damage or injury.

And finally: I need to travel to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando and occasionally Jacksonville for work in the winters. It’s just too far away to be in the panhandle. Same thing that rules out Georgia for this winter.
Old 14-10-2021, 10:18   #7

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I may have a location for you. I just sent you an e-mail with a brief description of the location and the area. I will follow up with you. As always, please feel free to call or write me with any questions.

I hope this helps, and wish you the best of luck with things. Something I forgot to mention in the e-mail is that I may be in the area towards the end of October and may be able to assist with your move. I have a relative who just died, and given the wake and funeral, there is some uncertainty of my availability. I apologize for the inability to say for sure on the dates.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 10:40   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
No green cove springs, please. All other places considered.

there may be some places further up the river from GCS .. but you would need to take your mast down to get there. hauling a big cat would definitely be an issue in the smaller yards no matter where you go.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 10:45   #9

Location: Some times in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. FL and Bahamas this winter.
Boat: Antares 44i

I have been told that near Green Cove Springs, near Jacksonville, there are several "working "yards that have and rent slip space daily and monthly. They were reported to me to be inexpensive. One is Holland Marine.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 10:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
there may be some places further up the river from GCS .. but you would need to take your mast down to get there. hauling a big cat would definitely be an issue in the smaller yards no matter where you go.
Good news!!

The mast will already be laying on the deck and the boat doesn’t need to be hauled.
Old 14-10-2021, 11:10   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: bavaria 38

Quote:
I’m paying $350/mo but that includes no electric or water. So, it’s a lot of time and money trucking those things in. Electric has gotten better with a big solar array. Not much generator usage now. Water is not very fun to truck in.
this is very cheap for 50 ft monohull, for cat add 100% and is still
cheap
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 11:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
this is very cheap for 50 ft monohull, for cat add 100% and is still
cheap
Which means it exists. I need to find other places like this and maybe a little bit more expensive if they have electricity and water.
Old 14-10-2021, 12:23   #13

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Cracker Boy Boat Works in Ft Pierce is a haul-out/ DYI Yard, NOT a Marina with slips. Very nice folks Rate is $1.50 /ft/day (just went up from ($1.00)and $10 liveaboard ( there are showers and BR) Also lots of onsite labor available ---carpentry FG work, Welding etc. Been there many many times in 20+ years.
Highly recommended.
Old 14-10-2021, 12:26   #14

Boat: Endeavour, CC Ketch 40ft

I would seriously consider the St Marys Boat Works. It is on the FL/GA border. The boat yard has about 300 boats in it and the rates are very reasonable. It is the best place to work on your boat.
jlblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 13:46   #15

Boat: Catalina 36

Glades Boat Storage in Moorehaven, FL or Indiantown FL

https://marinas.com/view/marina/8qcd..._United_States
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, florida