Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet
Re: Delmarva Circumnavigation

In paragraph 2, it should read "...sea breeze...", not ",,,shore breeze..."
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 09:16   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Really, neither land nor sea breeze, since the land is 10-15 miles to the east. The shoreline consists of skinny barrier island, and the locals will tell you that the updraft clouds build over land, no the barrier islands. Thus, the good breeze is out a little.

There are good stops, including Chincoteague, but not in on-shore conditions and they do require some coastal piloting. At the town dock either use the bulkhead (with fender boards) or anchor out--the tide is vicious across the slips. Even OC can break (I had a nice surf in at 15 knots once--several hundred yards, right between the jetties). Skipping them, however, cheapens the whole experience.

(Logger head sea turtle shell on Cobb Island.)

There is also the inside passage, for shoal draft boats. I think the Wire Passage may be blocked now, but it's otherwise quite doable for draft less than 4 feet. But it requires piloting, not just following GPS.

(Near Watchapreague Island)
Old 12-01-2024, 09:18   #18

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
Several reasons:
Thanks Duly noted and printed out for future reference
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 07:06   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Moderators: Can this thread be moved to General Sailing? I think that would be more appropriate.
Old 15-01-2024, 06:52   #20

Because I figure there is no harm in shooting your shot...if anyone looking to do the Delmarva Circumnavigation, it's been a personal goal of my for a while (but sadly, I am boatless), and I would love to join/contribute to a boat doing it at the end of June/beginning of July!
thejerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2024, 08:27   #21

Boat: Maine Cat 38

I too am considering the Delmarva loop in 2024. Maybe late spring maybe early fall.

I will choose a direction based on the wind, but counter clockwise is most likely for the reasons stated.

Off the cuff we might stage at Cape Charles or Gloucester Point, Virginia. There are also plenty of good anchorages in Mobjack Bay. Departing from here on the falling tide will be a nice ride out into the ocean. Leaving predawn from Mobjack is easy if that aligns with the tide.

Then under the bridge and into the ocean. Once clear of Nautilus Shoal I will decide staying close to shore or trailing fishing gear in deeper water.

For planning purposes I will plan on a non-stop run in the ocean. If the wind holds up we will be at Delaware bay easily with in 24 hours of leaving the Chesapeak, . However Thinwater’s photo of Chincoteague brought back good memories. We have tied in exactly the same location on the sea wall. Fourth of July was a great experience there. Stopping there could work into our plan.

Once we make Delaware Bay we will likely anchor at Lewes Delaware for a day or two. Note the tides when transiting from the ocean into Delaware Bay, which will make themselves known. Anchoring in the shelter of Cape Henlopen is straight forward and can be done in the dark.

Then on the rising tide of our choosing we will ride the current up Delaware Bay, through the C&D Canal and into the Chesapeake all in one go. This leg can be done in daylight or the dark. The way is well marked. The canal at night is a sight to behold.

Of course stopping places in the Chesapeake are numerous. We will likely harbour hop down the bay., taking maybe a week to return our home in the southern Bay.
Old 15-01-2024, 15:25   #22

Boat: Fontaine Pajot 2011 Mahe Evolution 36 ft

You should join the Salty Dawgs sailing association. It doesn't cost much. Every year they host a flotilla that sails around Delmarva. They provide briefings up front online and they are advised by Chris Parker, noted weather forecaster and sailing router, for the cruise.
White Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 18:57   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Sailor Sailor has some great comments that I would like to enhance with my experience.

I have completed three DelMarVa's, in both directions and as stated, the counterclockwise is preferable because of the strong currents on the Delaware Bay/River. I have always exited or entered the bay under the trestle bridge on the north end. Last year we encountered some severe waves a few miles after the bridge. This may have been avoidable if I had timed this with the currents and wind. On that trip, we stopped in Chincoteague because we had local area knowledge onboard and access to a dock. I would not have gone in there otherwise, because the sand bars are constantly shifting.

I have stopped in Cape Charles on each trip. It is a wonderful, very accommodating and top notch marina. From there we went directly or returned from Cape May. In Cape May, we stopped the the South Jersey Marina. It is a real nice place, but be aware of the currents there while docking. Plan for at least one overnight sail. Cape May to Cape Charles is about 30 hours. In my opinion, stopping in Ocean City or Chincoteague is not worth it, unless it is a destination. It takes too long to navigate your way in the channel, and deep water docking space is limited for sailboats.

The Delaware is very shallow except for the channel. Be prepared to communicate with the ships as it is a very busy commercial shipping lane. Two years ago, we navigated the Delaware in heavy fog, while motorsailing at 7-8 kts. Even with full AIS and radar, we called each ship to get the captains instructions. They all wanted us just outside of the channel. It is stressful to know that there is a large freighter, that you cannot see, going 18 kts, just 1/4 mile away.

On the C&D, there are three option for overnighting; Delaware City, Summit North and Chesapeake City. Currents there can also be a factor. Check the depths of the entrances for those marinas. A draft over 6' may require a higher tide.

AIS is highly recommended. An emergency life raft and an Elridge Tide and Pilot Book onboard and current hard copy charts are critical.

h90943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 19:00   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

That's a cruise that I would like to be on.
h90943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 09:05   #25

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

I did the DelMarVa several years ago with my father and high-school aged at the time son. Near Gale and torrential rain on the offshore leg -- We had a truly wonderful trip! My thought was I have one crew with all the experience, but not so much of the ability anymore, and the other is just the opposite!

The boat wasn't really "ready" (is it ever?) but Dad was getting older, and Son would soon be gone to college. Damn the torpedoes and go. I'm so glad we did.

The only advice I can give is to skip Reedville as a stop - unless you have NO sense of smell. Beautiful town, but the Menhaden processing plant there is indescribable.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 11:42   #26

Boat: 2004 Hunter 36

We are gearing up for either a late 24 or 25 DelMarVa run.

Love the idea of a Rally style event. Looks like Salty Dogs or ARC last ran in 2017. Going with a few other boats would be a lot of fun. Anyone see something organized in your searches?
wpatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation