Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2019, 22:33   #46

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Boat can stay in Australia 3 years. How do you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKen View Post
I think it would only count if one collected arrival and departure stamps from non Australian Territory on the trip'

If one goes on a cruise that goes outside Australian territorial waters but doesn't land in some other country it doesn't count as leaving Australia as far as aged pension qualifications for absence outside Australia.

( If a pensioner is outside of Australia for a longer period than 6 weeks in any year it impacts on their entitlement to the aged pension)
I suspect it depends on how far you go and how long you stay outside territorial waters.

In 2002 I ran into some old blokes in the yacht club in Geraldton W.A. and they were talking about their regular voyages to Java in an old pearling lugger they owned. They were notorious for having done them since about the 1950,s and had never cleared in or out at either the Indonesian or Australian ends of the voyages.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 00:50   #47

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Those days are long gone. For the OP, it doesn't matter about the politics of it. If he wants to do something outside the box, he needs an immigration lawyer. It's just one of those things one has to suck up.

Ann
Old 15-08-2019, 01:08   #48

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Those days are long gone. For the OP, it doesn't matter about the politics of it. If he wants to do something outside the box, he needs an immigration lawyer. It's just one of those things one has to suck up.

Ann
The little narrative was included for entertainment purposes and not to suggest anyone ignore Australian immigration laws.

However, laricanism still being an admired quality in that part of the world I suspect that if you hung out and became accepted along the coast between Broome and Cooktown you might be surprised at how much informal international traffic still takes place.

This insidious business of needing a lawyer for any interaction with government officials is not a good development in public life.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 02:17   #49

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
This insidious business of needing a lawyer for any interaction with government officials is not a good development in public life.
Now THAT'S for sure!

Jim
Old 15-08-2019, 02:19   #50

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The little narrative was included for entertainment purposes and not to suggest anyone ignore Australian immigration laws.

However, laricanism still being an admired quality in that part of the world I suspect that if you hung out and became accepted along the coast between Broome and Cooktown you might be surprised at how much informal international traffic still takes place.

Yes, Ray, if I may call you that, it is not a good development. It is what it is, and as a foreigner, the OP, just like Jim and me, needs to comply with regulations, regardless of our opinions -- or leave.

Ann
Old 15-08-2019, 12:24   #51

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Now THAT'S for sure!

Jim

In defence of the mostly indefensible, it is not that you need a lawyer for EVERY interaction with a government department. As long as you are around peg for their round hole everything is fine - routine interactions are generally smooth.

It’s when you have a complex situation like the OP that a lawyer becomes necessary. If he just immigrated or just visited, no problem, he fits nicely into the respective categories. But his long stay but not working plan crosses several categories. Hence the difficulty.

The best solution would be a working holiday visa, but I expect there’s an upper age limit.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 13:39   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
Nine month ago my Kiwi partner both and I arrived in Bundaberg Australia.I am 65. Went thru all the formalities and recieved a 3 month visa. Was told the boat could stay 3 years before importation issues would arise. After three months I applied for a 600 6 month extension. After much paperwork and a physical I was granted 6 more months. This time I applied for a 600 12 month visa extension. Along with the application was a letter listing all the reasons why we wanted to stay that long including the fact that my partner is working until mid December after which time we would like to take our Ute we have prepared for camping and travel the whole of Australia and Tazzi. In only 4 days I was granted a 12 month visa allowing allowing me to stay only 3 months at a time but multiple entry.The only problem was nothing at all on the granted visa reflected what I applied for. I honestly even left the country before I applied. I called the Immi and talked to a represenitive but all she would say is the powers that be evaluated my application and that multiple entry 3/12 month visa was what they decided and that was final. So I am not stupid enough to say the Australian government is wrong nor am I complaining. I just would love to know how to go about getting something more inline with what we need. There is no criminal record for either of us, no funny business. I see these agencys that help people and wonder if the powers that be are wanting you to use them. Leaving and coming back 3 or 4 times a year is hard on a cruisers budget. PLEASE DOES ANYBODY HAVE ADVICE.
Im betting your reading it wrong.....

You have been granted a 12 month Visitor visa (subclass 600) with multiple (3) entries, which means if they grant you a visa with multiple entry, you can leave and re-enter Australia on the visa while it is valid, it doesn't mean you have to, it just means they have given you the option that should you need to leave the country for any reason during the Visa period, you can do so up to 3 times and return without any problems or the need to apply for another visa, there is nothing in the 600 Visitor Visa saying you have to leave Australia during the period the visa is issued for.....

Below is from the D of HA website re 600 visa's

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...-onshore#About

Quote:
How long you can stay
This is a temporary visa.

You can stay for the period or dates specified on the visa grant letter. We determine the length of your visa on a case by case basis. Things we might consider when determining your stay period include:

How long you want to stay
Why you want to stay in Australia

You might not be granted the length of stay you want.

We can grant this visa with one entry or multiple entries. If we grant you a visa with multiple entry, you can leave and re-enter Australia on the visa while it is valid.

It is a condition of this visa that you don't stay in Australia for a total of more than 12 months in an 18-month period. If you currently hold a Visitor visa, a Working Holiday visa, a Work and Holiday visa or a bridging visa, and grant of this visa would mean you stay in Australia for more than 12 consecutive months, you will need to show there are exceptional circumstances.

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat, government regulations