Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 15:38   #1

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39
Boat can stay in Australia 3 years. How do you.

Nine month ago my Kiwi partner both and I arrived in Bundaberg Australia.I am 65. Went thru all the formalities and recieved a 3 month visa. Was told the boat could stay 3 years before importation issues would arise. After three months I applied for a 600 6 month extension. After much paperwork and a physical I was granted 6 more months. This time I applied for a 600 12 month visa extension. Along with the application was a letter listing all the reasons why we wanted to stay that long including the fact that my partner is working until mid December after which time we would like to take our Ute we have prepared for camping and travel the whole of Australia and Tazzi. In only 4 days I was granted a 12 month visa allowing allowing me to stay only 3 months at a time but multiple entry.The only problem was nothing at all on the granted visa reflected what I applied for. I honestly even left the country before I applied. I called the Immi and talked to a represenitive but all she would say is the powers that be evaluated my application and that multiple entry 3/12 month visa was what they decided and that was final. So I am not stupid enough to say the Australian government is wrong nor am I complaining. I just would love to know how to go about getting something more inline with what we need. There is no criminal record for either of us, no funny business. I see these agencys that help people and wonder if the powers that be are wanting you to use them. Leaving and coming back 3 or 4 times a year is hard on a cruisers budget. PLEASE DOES ANYBODY HAVE ADVICE.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 16:24   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Boat can stay in Australia 3 years. How do you.

Are you a Kiwi too? If so, no visa required. If not a Kiwi, then do you need to leave AUS to renew your visa? That’s a bummer, but cheap flights to NZ do exist and I assume you only need to land, pass through Customs/Immigration, then turn around, go back through security and fly back.

You could look at some sort of resident visa, but as a retired person they’re probably going to want significant financial resources.

Or rethink your Australian plans?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 16:39   #3

Boat: currently boatless

Welcome to Australias wonderful bureaucracy. Keeping honest hardworking independant people infuriated

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 16:46   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Welcome to Australias wonderful bureaucracy. Keeping honest hardworking independant people infuriated

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie
And sadly increasing!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 17:16   #5

Anybody have any experience with or knowledge of the agencies?
Old 06-08-2019, 17:20   #6

No I am from the land of Bernie Saunders....Has anybody heard of or had experience with any of the agencies. Also really wondering if I take the 3 month visa they give you automatically arriving on the plane would the give me an 6 month extension like before.
Old 07-08-2019, 00:40   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
No I am from the land of Bernie Saunders....Has anybody heard of or had experience with any of the agencies. Also really wondering if I take the 3 month visa they give you automatically arriving on the plane would the give me an 6 month extension like before.
Australian bureaucrats are almost exclusively lefty (Our national capital consistently records the highest left wing vote in the country) maybe if you tell them you are a Bernie fan they might see their way to be kind to you.

A lot of this visa nonsense is related to reciprocity.

I lodged a visa application for my family and myself with the U.S. immigration authorities years ago and they gave my wife and two children three year multi entry visas and me one month single entry?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:35   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Australian bureaucrats are almost exclusively lefty (Our national capital consistently records the highest left wing vote in the country) maybe if you tell them you are a Bernie fan they might see their way to be kind to you.

A lot of this visa nonsense is related to reciprocity.

I lodged a visa application for my family and myself with the U.S. immigration authorities years ago and they gave my wife and two children three year multi entry visas and me one month single entry?
You've got that right Raymond.
Perhaps the OP could claim refugee status, just tell them that Donald is out to get him and practice a hearty rendition of Kumbaya. Should be good for a visa, sit down pay, free medical etc etc.

But seriously, I have had a bit to do with IMMI and its a turkey shoot. Seems to depend on who is on your case and if their interest is more about covering their own backside or assisting you, usually he prior.

Good luck anyways OzePete
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:56   #9

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Quote:
Nine month ago my Kiwi partner both and I arrived in Bundaberg Australia.I am 65. Went thru all the formalities and recieved a 3 month visa. Was told the boat could stay 3 years before importation issues would arise. After three months I applied for a 600 6 month extension. After much paperwork and a physical I was granted 6 more months. This time I applied for a 600 12 month visa extension. Along with the application was a letter listing all the reasons why we wanted to stay that long including the fact that my partner is working until mid December after which time we would like to take our Ute we have prepared for camping and travel the whole of Australia and Tazzi. In only 4 days I was granted a 12 month visa allowing allowing me to stay only 3 months at a time but multiple entry.The only problem was nothing at all on the granted visa reflected what I applied for. I honestly even left the country before I applied. I called the Immi and talked to a represenitive but all she would say is the powers that be evaluated my application and that multiple entry 3/12 month visa was what they decided and that was final. So I am not stupid enough to say the Australian government is wrong nor am I complaining. I just would love to know how to go about getting something more inline with what we need. There is no criminal record for either of us, no funny business. I see these agencys that help people and wonder if the powers that be are wanting you to use them. Leaving and coming back 3 or 4 times a year is hard on a cruisers budget. PLEASE DOES ANYBODY HAVE ADVICE.
Philio ... I worked 25 years for a government agency and can tell you that what folks disclose to friends or on line and what is required for the relevant agency is usually chalk and cheese. I say you ask immigration again or try an immigration agency. There are many little details that may be missing from your post, knowingly or not I may add, that immigration can find out about you in just a few keystrokes.
Our immigration is extremely lenient, despite the odd self flagellating replies, if you compare to other countries, so you shouldn't have any issues. Just ask the right people.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:04   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

I better dust of my wedding suit Uncle Philiosophy, would that work for Australian immigration?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 14:20   #11

Boat: Bavaria 51

Don't go near an agency. I did and 1,100 bux later was no further forward. The visa application is a matter of answering the questions immigration wants answered, which may differ from the reasons you want the visa for. It also helps if the case officer is in Australia rather than in an overseas embassy or consulate. PM me if you wish.
Rivatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 15:31   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hang on guys,

You may not be aware, but earlier this year there was a big shakeup at Dept of Immigration, Immigration and Indigenous Affairs.

Some acquaintances of ours were actually told by a DIMIA employee that they were "naive" to try and use the website, this for a visa extension, normally a pretty easy thing to do. What it came down to for them (French Canadian) was that they had to hire an immigration lawyer, and with his assistance they were able to get the extension they needed to finish the work to make their boat seaworthy to leave. They went to NZ from Tasmania in about May of this year.

Until everyone is comfortable with the changes, I think our friends' advice to check with an immigration lawyer is probably the best we can do, here, for this American. It is because what he thinks he needs is out of the ordinary, the lawyer is there to help him convince the DIMIA bureaucracy that it will be okay, why he should get something different. Even if he is a creative genius, the website approach, well, I doubt it will work well at this point in history.

Ann
Old 07-08-2019, 16:55   #13

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Unfortunately I do believe that you need an Immi lawyer. I've been trying to get my wife in this country for 5 years, ( married 4 yrs ago ) they keep changing the goalposts!!! So far we've spent over $20,000. Each July 1st things change. And they make all the websites as hard to follow as possible. Best to think of it as a game....... that you will win one day. Good luck.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 17:33   #14

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:

My wild guess is you tried to be funny with this reference: only how many people know Bernie Saunders ? Never heard of him.

So you mean the Canadian ice hockey player which is the first Google hit? Great, welcome to the Commonwealth! You should be all sweet, mate!

Or the US politican with a similar name yet you got the spelling wrong and are adding to the confusion... really?

One advise though: I would triple check the idea of just returning with a 3 then 6 month extension as you might not get them back to back, otherwise they wouldn't need the multiple entry visa now, would they?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 18:26   #15

Remember a public servant in immigration shits themselves when a form says "Alien. Arrived by boat. seeks visa" as this triggers an avalanche of stalling as they can't show 'special favours" when fighting the potential hordes of boat people from the north.

1.Never rely on ANY information provided by an Australian customs, immigration or Biosecurity official as a defence. It is routinely denied and/or dismissed as a defence in courts and tribunals when inconvenient to them.(ask the dutch couple fined, charged and had their boat impounded)
2 Never rely on any published information, including webpages, leaflets, flyers or educational brochures by same for same reasons (ask everyone who has done so)
3 Never communicate with any of them by telephone (it is a useless exercise in time and product, NO public servant with authority or knowledge EVER answers a phone call to the public, let alone an alien)
4 Always attend their offices WITH an (Australian + White + native english speaking) solicitor who speaks on your behalf and keeps a recorded copy of the encounters (see below)
5 Never do this in any QLD office or worse, a NSW office (a masters degree in belligerence, obfuscation and insolence is required to work there, plus they really hate head office and the infighting is supreme)
6 To get a result, Always do this in their Canberra offices (decision making, semi decent public servants away from the coal face of frustration)
7 remember their records show it only took some disabled sailors 38 days to sail around australia so they think why would you need to stay longer (David Pescud and the crew aboard Kaz in 2003 - a brilliant effort too by the way)

this is serious advice, get out of the QLD loop immediately, get out of the perpetual paperwork loop immediately, (you are only getting compromised) get on a plane to canberra, get a white australian (I'm speaking pragmatically I'm not not a racist, I despair at this need - apologies made OK!) immigration solicitor and you'll have your paperwork within 5 working days./ I'm speaking from the experience of many years assisting good folk in this area. (now retired don't call me
2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat, government regulations