Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2023, 06:39   #16

Boat: Marie Jeanne 43
Re: Yet more lives and vessels lost Cap de Creus Spain

[QUOTE=GordMay;3845502]Very interesting & informative!

FWIW:
Mesoscale: [...]

Mistral: [...]

Tramontana: A northeasterly or northerly winter wind off the west coast of Italy. It is a fresh wind of the fine weather mistral type.
]
No ! Tramontane means litteraly the wind which comes from the mountains (trans - montana) and there are many different winds named the same.
The thread mentions the "french tramontane" or "catalan tramuntana", which is a NW wind blowing between the Pyrenées and the Massif Central (Montagne Noire), and affects the waters of Golfe du Lion, down to Baleares. When it is coupled with Mistral - in most of the cases - it can affect also Corsica (named Libeccio there, and coming from SW), Sardinia, or even Lybia.
With Tramontane, forget Gruissan. But you can find reliable heavens in SETE, in CANET en ROUSSILLON, and, just before the hell's gate, in PORT VENDRES. There is absolutely no reason to sail down to Spain and it was very unaware to try Puerto.
If you really want to sail to Spain, pass away from the cape, it can be quite an easy navigation down in the wind up to 35-40kN.
PiAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:58   #17

Wow scary stuff. I had no idea it could be so rough out there. I had my boat in the Grande Motte and tried to sail on a calm day to Seth. Inside the marina at Seth it was quite bumpy and I could not dock against the concrete wall - only place available . I turned around and went back.

I'll definitely be more careful as I would like to go to Majorica from Saint Jean Cap Ferrat but will definitely treat the weather with a lot more respect.

Thanks. Sorry for those lost
Handsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:10   #18

Boat: Northwind 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Other than the current thread, which ones? Maybe I missed another report but all I've read thus far is the singlehander 270 miles off the NC coast, and the couple in the Gulf of Mexico, reportedly 90 miles from land. The two boats that washed up on a Hatteras beach (no human casualties, fortunately) were likely either trying for dangerous inlets or trying to head south on the inside of the gulf stream. Or ... who knows? Was there another one of late where heading for deep water & sea room (often a good option) would have been an alternative?
There was at least one more vessel lost off the coast of Portugal at the beginning of November - 4 people dead.

Apparently they set off in appalling conditions after having been warned not to go. They sailed too close to the shore and got rolled by a breaking wave… there’s a short video - I will try to find it.

https://www.portugalresident.com/fou...t-to-set-sail/
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:26   #19

Boat: Northwind 50

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/I0poFVHZaGA?si=ZIxZ2_68dxzpRr6H

For some reason they were sailing very close to the shore…you can see in the background at around 1:25 that there is another yacht about 1 mile offshore which is sailing along without problems. Perhaps their engine had failed and they couldn’t make any progress to windward with their staysail and 3 reefs in the Main - no one knows why and there’s no one left to explain.

However they got there once the vessel was sailing beam on to breaking waves of that size there was only one outcome and it was purely a matter of time…

https://youtu.be/M4dsSE31K3c?si=rKAXYfZ52WUo_5Wo

R.I.P.
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, Spain