Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2018, 11:14   #16

Boat: 77' hallberg rassy 41
Re: USCG Removes 750+ Wrecks from 2017 Hurricanes

bomb ass post steady! way to be at the top of your game!
bstruebing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 12:33   #17

Boat: Shannon 38

Someone ought to mention that in addition to removing junked boats and clearing navigable waterways that might not have been so absent their effort, USCG working with local government and some excellent private contractors pulled many salvageable boats out of harms way and returned them to their owners. I, for one, am grateful.
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 15:15   #18

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Noise View Post
Someone ought to mention that in addition to removing junked boats and clearing navigable waterways that might not have been so absent their effort, USCG working with local government and some excellent private contractors pulled many salvageable boats out of harms way and returned them to their owners. I, for one, am grateful.
It is good when it works the way it is supposed to work! Glad to hear the good news.
Old 17-02-2018, 16:07   #19

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Be a very good way to make sure people stop registering boats.
As it is a lot of the problem boats have had the ID removed so they are untraceable, then as often as not the last registered owner sold the Boat many years ago.
However I see your point, I was under the understanding that money is set aside for removal.
Plus I bet you lunch that if there were a fee tacked onto registration, it would go to a general fund and be used for things having nothing to do with boats
Try a few months in Fl w/o a sticker. Good luck with that, fine is about $200. I do agree that a set aside fund would be raided within a few months.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 16:19   #20

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
When you register a boat in Florida, they should add $500 and put it in a fund to help pay for removing all the junk boats.
The law requiring registration of boats in Florida already includes a few for removing derelict boats. Unfortunately, it's not used for that but stolen for use on other governmental projects. Each county gets a portion of the registration money for just this and is required to file a yearly report on how they use the money to the FWC. I have tried to get a copy of the reports but they make it so difficult that you really need to sue them to see them. I did find that in my county the money is folded into the parks and recreation department. There is no line item in their budget for the incoming money and it just magically disappears. My guess is that it's used as part of their operating budget, because they go begging for money to the state for derelict boat removal but they don't mention the money they already got for just this purpose. Government in the Sunshine, yeah right.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 17:34   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Try a few months in Fl w/o a sticker. Good luck with that, fine is about $200. I do agree that a set aside fund would be raided within a few months.

Apparently there are many boats that are not registered, cause if they were then the owner is easy to determine?
I’ve been in Fl boating most of my life, then one thing that has never been looked at or for, is the sticker. Not sure why.
Just as I know that 90 days is the limit in Fl waters before you have to register.
My old home Marina Panama City, City Marina had boats that were there for years and were not Fl registered.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:19   #22

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Step up your game? WTF

I just shared a news report from a credible news source.

If you want to add to the boat count, based on credible sources (give us a link), do so, if you are game.
Steady, thanks for the info. Having spent time in the USVI in most years since 1990, I know there are a lot of boats there (or used to be) with no clear owner, or at least no responsible owner. It's too bad. My brother-in-law had a sailboat drag down on him in a hurricane, and his boat plus the sailboat ended up up on the beach. He used the HIN to identify the absent owner of the sailboat that dragged and asked the owner to help pay to remove his boat so that my bro-in-law could get his boat off the beach. The absent owner basically said, "naw, I'm done with that boat", and my bro-in-law had to pay for both boats to be removed.

By the way, I love the Coasties. They bring new meaning to "doing more with less", or these days, doing more with almost nothing.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:28   #23

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

An enterprising young man/girl/person/whatever, is looking for a boat, could look through the piles of boats for a first boat, if he/she/they/whatever have the money to bring the boat up to specs it could be a real opportunity.

At 68, I'm considering investigating the possibility ... although I may not be young enough to actually do it.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane