Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2020, 19:58   #1

Boat: currently between boats
Send a message via Skype™ to TheSandPebbles
Paraplegic woman rowing solo from California to Hawaii found dead at sea

https://www.kitv.com/story/42281179/...nd-dead-at-sea

A former Marine and paraplegic woman recently featured on KITV4 for taking on a huge rowing journey passed away Monday night.

A spinal cord injury in the Marines left Angela Madsen with paraplegia and since then, she trained to eventually become a Paralympic athlete and rower.

Madsen was making the trek from California to Hawaii, working to become the first paraplegic and oldest woman to successfully complete the difficult solo journey. But a sad update was posted on Instagram Tuesday morning.

"As of 11 p.m. last night, Angela was declared deceased at sea," a person close with Madsen wrote.

According to the post, Madsen's partner Deb was worried about her after she said she was going in the water to fix the anchor on her bow -- prepping for a storm due to hit by the end of this week.

The U.S. Coast Guard dispatched an aircraft to look for her. Madsen's body was later found 'floating next to her boat, still tethered.'

"She was willing to die at sea doing the thing she loved most. She was a hell of a woman and one of the most influential and inspiring people in my life," the post read.
TheSandPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 20:02   #2

Boat: currently between boats
Send a message via Skype™ to TheSandPebbles
Re: Paraplegic woman rowing solo from California to Hawaii found dead at sea

I wonder what the heck happened to her? Got into the water for some repair and never got back in. Maybe, being a paraplegic, she couldn't manage to get back into the boat and died of exposure/dehydration? Another article mention she'd crossed the Atlantic twice already, so it's hard to imagine she wouldn't know how to get back into the boat from the water.
TheSandPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 20:19   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Sad to hear this but at least she wasn't sitting at home vegetatively.
Old 24-06-2020, 21:11   #4

Boat: Lancer 36

RIP Devil Dog.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 12:09   #5

You betcha! Keep the spirit of adventure alive.
MarkOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 04:09   #6

RIP Hero! Though I did not know her, that is my only regret. She was already a true Hero, a fellow Veteran, a fellow Disabled Veteran, and I hope and Pray that her family and friends might find solace and comfort in knowing she was where she was, doing what she wanted to do, and made the ultimate sacrifice doing it. We should all be so lucky in our own end times, that we leave here, living life to the fullest. You did well, Marine. RIP.
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 04:48   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Sounds trite, but some trite things are nevertheless right and true - died with her boots on - that's better than any number of years sitting on a couch. Good for her.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 06:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Yep, she went out doing good stuff!
Old 26-06-2020, 06:54   #9

Boat: GibSea 472

When a sailor die after falling over board, I alway wonder how long it take to perish, and what is the suffering endured before the inevitable end. Eric Tabarly who died after falling over board at night use to say that drowning deliberatly to avoid a long agony is the best way to avoid terribles pain. I hope that this courageous lady did not suffer long before life ended.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 10:02   #10

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
When a sailor die after falling over board, I alway wonder how long it take to perish, and what is the suffering endured before the inevitable end. Eric Tabarly who died after falling over board at night use to say that drowning deliberatly to avoid a long agony is the best way to avoid terribles pain. I hope that this courageous lady did not suffer long before life ended.
Yeah, I used to be a cave diver and when one died, the newspapers would invariably find someone to quote, "they died doing the thing they loved." No, they drowned and that's just a horrible way to go. Let's accept the horror of that and honor her accomplishments particularly as a paraplegic. I wished I'd heard more about her rather than from this tragedy. I applaud Angela for these feats that few of us would ever do able-bodied. Bad things happen and she accepted those risks, but it should not be what makes this newsworthy.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 10:47   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Yeah, I used to be a cave diver and when one died, the newspapers would invariably find someone to quote, "they died doing the thing they loved." No, they drowned and that's just a horrible way to go. Let's accept the horror of that and honor her accomplishments particularly as a paraplegic. I wished I'd heard more about her rather than from this tragedy. I applaud Angela for these feats that few of us would ever do able-bodied. Bad things happen and she accepted those risks, but it should not be what makes this newsworthy.
What you write is true, but the other thing also - there is no contradiction. Yes, they drowned, and that's just a horrible way to go. Yes, they died doing what they loved, which is a million times better than rotting on a couch for a few decades. Both are true.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 21:37   #12

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I’ve watched many many people die due to work in health care. The lucky ones who die do it with massive heart attack or stroke. The couple of minutes of not being able to get your air while drowning... is small price compared to slow deaths like Covid, emphysema, cancers, severe burns, massive trauma, on and on. As someone once said, “ I’m not afraid to die. I just don’t want to be there when it happens.”

RIP, Semper fidelis. You never gave up. What a human being.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 21:48   #13

Never quit living life to the fullest, she was inspirational to many people.

I wonder if she got hit in the head by the hull due to an errant wave? It could have knocked her out during which time her body suffered the effects of hypothermia.

A leader to the end RIP.
Old 28-06-2020, 08:39   #14

Boat: MacGregor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
I’ve watched many many people die due to work in health care. The lucky ones who die do it with massive heart attack or stroke. The couple of minutes of not being able to get your air while drowning... is small price compared to slow deaths like Covid, emphysema, cancers, severe burns, massive trauma, on and on. As someone once said, “ I’m not afraid to die. I just don’t want to be there when it happens.”

RIP, Semper fidelis. You never gave up. What a human being.
that's a great quote. I see a lot of death also. I want some time to know it's around the corner but not exactly when. my fear is being a burden to family. I'm 42 and told my wife to let me go and get remarried if something bad happens.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:55   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Paraplegic woman rowing solo from California to Hawaii found dead at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I don't know.. I drowned when I was 19 in Gibraltar harbour.. did not know much about it and was hauled out and resuscitated by RNP's..
Mind I was pretty pissed and swimming to Spain in full uniform.. the things one does for love.
I like to think I'll just dive under and suck in a lungfull of water the way I did trying to swim under the cutter trying to catch me.. just a burst of light in my brain then nothing.
But who knows until the moment comes.
Respect to a gutsy lady..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, hawaii